The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Hughes and Petey but get Eichel

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Interesting. My initial thought was "no way I do that if I'm Buffalo." I guess I just don't value potential the way a lot of folks do. Show me results.

He is part of a program of getting inner city African Americans to play hockey in Los Angeles neighborhoods like Compton and Watts and there is a lot of hope of kid from inner city LA to make the NHL in the future. Plus they just are high on him too much as now 2C if Eichel is on the team but was expected to take over for Kopitar in 3 or 4 years as 1C. 
LA has a lot of prospects and obviously it would start with Turcotte and Madden and Lias Andersson and draft picks and probably Iafallo and some other player or players to come close on money in money in trades with tight on cap space for the Kings when adding $10,000,000 cap hit 

2 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

He is part of a program of getting inner city African Americans to play hockey in Los Angeles neighborhoods like Compton and Watts and there is a lot of hope of kid from inner city LA to make the NHL in the future. Plus they just are high on him too much as now 2C if Eichel is on the team but was expected to take over for Kopitar in 3 or 4 years as 1C. 
LA has a lot of prospects and obviously it would start with Turcotte and Madden and Lias Andersson and draft picks and probably Iafallo and some other player or players to come close on money in money in trades with tight on cap space for the Kings when adding $10,000,000 cap hit 

But again this is video game style thinking. You don't trade a player like Eichel for just prospects, picks and add in players to make the cap work. Imagine if none of those prospects or picks turns out the way they're supposed to and it comes off as one of the worst trades in NHL history. You need to get at least one really legitimate established piece.

I mean, ok, I guess the Erik Karlsson trade was something along those lines, but very different situations between Karlsson on the last year of his contract and Eichel with 5 years remaining.

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

But again this is video game style thinking. You don't trade a player like Eichel for just prospects, picks and add in players to make the cap work. Imagine if none of those prospects or picks turns out the way they're supposed to and it comes off as one of the worst trades in NHL history. You need to get at least one really legitimate established piece.

I mean, ok, I guess the Erik Karlsson trade was something along those lines, but very different situations between Karlsson on the last year of his contract and Eichel with 5 years remaining.

Jesus you have said What If more times then that Disney+ series, yes there are a lot of What If’s like is Eichel going to be the same player and that is why the Sabres will have to settle from something close to this with maybe a 1st rounder thrown in but you need to be salary cap compliant when doing these trades so I don’t get where you are coming from when saying I can’t just make trades to make the cap work but what do you think happens in most NHL trades?

2 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Jesus you have said What If more times then that Disney+ series, yes there are a lot of What If’s like is Eichel going to be the same player and that is why the Sabres will have to settle from something close to this with maybe a 1st rounder thrown in but you need to be salary cap compliant when doing these trades so I don’t get where you are coming from when saying I can’t just make trades to make the cap work but what do you think happens in most NHL trades?

I'm happy to entertain these ideas of yours if you are actually reading my replies. If not I'm not gonna waste my time.

The only trade I'd consider doing is the first one (Smith would be a major component of any Hughes to Jersey deal, and I like the prospect of Juolevi for Bahl, in that we'd get a defender with similar upside as the Finn but with increased size and strength at 6'6" which would be a major help defensively), though we're gutting the left D too much if we're forced to put Bahl in the top-4 and Hunt permanently in bottom-pair minutes.  Also let's hold off on trading even more firsts AND our best young guns, the prospect cupboard is going to run REALLY thin.  Lastly, OEL and Eichel on the same team for years might end up like Parise and Suter in a couple of years (locked to long term deals that may age really terribly given injuries).  

I feel like a team that is already a playoff team that needs to jump into a Contender would take a chance at Eichel.

With that in mind I think the team that could take a chance at Eichel ... maybe the Minnesota Wild could take a chance at Eichel. They still have a lot of cap space (though some of that will go to Kaprizov) but they still have some forwards they can send over to Buffalo that do not have a NTC/NMC and also add some picks and prospects for Buffalo. 

13 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

I wouldn't trade more than Horvat + 2 1sts for Eichel, let alone giving up Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander and whoever else just to rip off Detroit and snag Eichel? He's getting neck surgery you doofus! 

Eichel is damaged goods, no idea the player he'll turn out to be in the future

16 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Trade #1

Vancouver trades 

- Quinn Hughes

- Olli Juolevi 

New Jersey trades

- Ty Smith

- Alexander Holtz

- Kevin Bahl

Trade #2

Vancouver trades 

Elias Pettersson 

Tyler Myers 

Nils Höglander 

Detroit trades 

Dylan Larkin

Michael Rasmussen

Lucas Raymond

Moritz Seider 

Trade #3

Vancouver trades 

Michael Rasmussen 

Dylan Larkin 

Jack Rathbone

Tucker Poolman 

2022 1st rounder 

2023 1st rounder 

Buffalo trades 

Jack Eichel 

2021-2022 roster depth chart 

Holtz.       Eichel.       Boeser. 

Miller.       Horvat.      Garland.  

Pearson.  Dickinson.  Podkolzin.   

Motte.      Sutter.        Highmore. 

OEL.   Smith.              Demko. 

Bahl.   Seider.             Halak

Hunt.  Hamonic.         

Scratches: Schen, Keeper, MacEwen 

Raymond starts in Abbotsford and could get called if an injury in the top 6 as he is suppose to be an absolute sniper that could replace Boeser. 

Let's hear everyone pick this a part 

Glad you are not a GM

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I hear a lot of typical Canucklehead complaining but if it's just because of trading for Eichel, come on they would have to after trading Petey and getting Larkin to play centre as he is a .5 point a

game player and Petey was just under a point a game. 

So all you hosers would think Larkin at 1C is good enough? 

• Wat 1