The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

8 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Friedman already also said on his podcast that he doesn't believe KK is unhappy in any way, it was purely a money thing for KK. Can't blame him, but I don't buy into the narrative that KK was unhappy in MTL for a second. I think fans want to add layers to this whole fiasco, but it's a reach & entirely unfounded imo.

Renault Lavois this morning said that JK was confused about his role.  He mentioned that JK was put in a puck possession distributor role in Laval, but when up with the Habs that changed to net front, don’t carry the puck guy.  So, maybe he is a bit upset with his role?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Renault Lavois this morning said that JK was confused about his role.  He mentioned that JK was put in a puck possession distributor role in Laval, but when up with the Habs that changed to net front, don’t carry the puck guy.  So, maybe he is a bit upset with his role?  

Upset enough to want out? I don't think so... young players earn their way up the lineup. KK seems like a smart kid by all accounts, I think he'd understand that at 20 years old when your team is on a deep playoff run, you're not going to get handed mins/roles that you haven't earned. From what I've heard, Montreal was offering him something in the ballpark of 2x2.5, so when you have someone swooping in and offering you 6 million + a potential long term extension, why wouldn't you sign?

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

Upset enough to want out? I don't think so... young players earn their way up the lineup. KK seems like a smart kid by all accounts, I think he'd understand that at 20 years old when your team is on a deep playoff run, you're not going to get handed mins/roles that you haven't earned. From what I've heard, Montreal was offering him something in the ballpark of 2x2.5, so when you have someone swooping in and offering you 6 million + a potential long term extension, why wouldn't you sign?

I think we agree.  JK got an offer he couldn’t refuse.  But Bergevin created the opportunity for the offer sheet by not negotiating in good faith by only offering 2.5 x 2.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we agree.  JK got an offer he couldn’t refuse.  But Bergevin created the opportunity for the offer sheet by not negotiating in good faith by only offering 2.5 x 2.  

We mostly agree ;) Only part I'm not quite on board with is the "not negotiating in good faith" part, but aside from that fully agree. It was Bergevin that brought this on, he put his organization in a tough spot and now it seems like a lose-lose scenario. I really liked the moves he made last summer, but this summer has been atrocious for the club, starting at the draft.

EDIT: You could make the argument that it's a bit of a low ball offer, but not really by that much. I saw KK as getting something along the lines of 3 million for 1-2 years. So the amount is a little off for sure.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 1

I'll be shocked if they don't match it, figuring out who they'll need to move out to make the cap work will be the tricky bit. 

His upside at such a young age is probably better than whoever they'll get with what'll probably be a late first round pick. Sucks for Montreal, but it's the tit for tat. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

To me it seemed like the Habs were expecting JK to fill Danault’s role.  Danault is gone, and if they don’t match for JK the Habs will need use this week to have a deal in place for another centre who can play those minutes.  

They might look at sending Toffoli + a few 1sts to BUF in exchange for Eichel

Hoffman Eichel Gallagher

Anderson Suzuki Caufield

Drouin Evans Armia

Perreault Paquette Lehkonen

(Poehling)

Edmundson Petry

Romanov Savard

Chiarot Wideman

(Kulak)

Price (Allen)

LTIR: Weber, Byron

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll be shocked if they don't match it, figuring out who they'll need to move out to make the cap work will be the tricky bit. 

His upside at such a young age is probably better than whoever they'll get with what'll probably be a late first round pick. Sucks for Montreal, but it's the tit for tat. 

There are a few candidates that they could move out (Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia) to make the cap work. Some of those contracts would need sweeteners to get rid of.

But I think its a no win situation if they match the offer, because they will be overpaying KK and then dealing with a QO over $6m in one year from now, or they risk losing him for nothing if they don't make that QO.

I think the better move now for MON is to take the compensation and move on without KK. They do have a glaring hole for a top 6 center though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, BigTramFan said:

There are a few candidates that they could move out (Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia) to make the cap work. Some of those contracts would need sweeteners to get rid of.

But I think its a no win situation if they match the offer, because they will be overpaying KK and then dealing with a QO over $6m in one year from now, or they risk losing him for nothing if they don't make that QO.

I think the better move now for MON is to take the compensation and move on without KK. They do have a glaring hole for a top 6 center though.

They’d need to trade for a replacement.  They should try to get Eichel.  

Habs 22 first

Hans 23 first

Canes 22 first (compensation)

Canes 22 third (compensation)

Romanov

Ghule

Drouin (cap dump)

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They’d need to trade for a replacement.  They should try to get Eichel.  

Habs 22 first

Hans 23 first

Canes 22 first (compensation)

Canes 22 third (compensation)

Romanov

Ghule

Drouin (cap dump)

add Toffoli and you might have a deal. 

Honestly, i would be extremely hesitant to give up anything for eichel. 

Sabres being a dumpster fire aside, eichels attitude during the whole situation, his contract, and the uncertainty on his injury just gives me the no feeling. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if rehab/surgery leaves him a shell of his former self, and he never struck me as that great of a player when he was healthy. Certainly not worth his c(R)ap hit imo. 

* good gawd 10 mill for five more seasons. Let someone else take that risk, especially at buffalos rumored asking price. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Guess the sweeteners would depend on who's interested in which player. They're all serviceable imo.

It is a no win, but if he's prepared to sign a more reasonable with Carolina (as rumoured) why wouldn't he be prepared to do the same with Montreal? Man gets paid either way. 

The deal would hurt this year, certainly, but if they extend him they don't have to worry about the QO. Depends on what they envision his upside being and whether they're willing to put him in a position to succeed.

Carolina is putting the screws to Montreal, but I don't see them making this move if they didn't see actual upside. 

Taking the 1st and going after a question mark in Eichel would be a mistake imo. Who knows what he'll be once he finally has surgery.

Edited by Coconuts

12 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Sabres being a dumpster fire aside, eichels attitude during the whole situation, his contract, and the uncertainty on his injury just gives me the no feeling. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if rehab/surgery leaves him a shell of his former self, and he never struck me as that great of a player when he was healthy. Certainly not worth his c(R)ap hit imo. 

* good gawd 10 mill for five more seasons. Let someone else take that risk, especially at buffalos rumored asking price. 

He wants to get disc replacement surgery and Buffalo does not want him to do that. I wonder how safe it is to play a very physical game with replaced disc in his back? Seems like a gamble by him and definitely by a team trading for him.

20 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

He wants to get disc replacement surgery and Buffalo does not want him to do that. I wonder how safe it is to play a very physical game with replaced disc in his back? Seems like a gamble by him and definitely by a team trading for him.

Dorset had the same injury and got spinal fusion.  It didn’t work well enough for him to continue playing.  Letang had the fusion and it worked well enough for him to keep playing.  It’s a risk any acquiring team will need to assume whether Jack’s surgery (whichever kind) works well enough for him to play.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dorset had the same injury and got spinal fusion.  It didn’t work well enough for him to continue playing.  Letang had the fusion and it worked well enough for him to keep playing.  It’s a risk any acquiring team will need to assume whether Jack’s surgery (whichever kind) works well enough for him to play.  

Robert’s had it and had a long productive career. Moot point anyway as it is done differently now with a minimally invasive anterior approach. 
Generally better tolerated and easier recovery. Spinal surgery is spinal surgery though, the benefit and longevity of benefit are a crap shoot. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Time will tell. He has the skill set to be one.  Kid just turned 21.  

LOL we are talking just 2021-22 season. 

Im a Homer but you'd have to be crazy to take Dickinson over JK if talking about entire career potential and upside.  Otherwise Carolina wouldn't have offered him 6.1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Call me sentimental after such a short time together, but I wouldn't mind Toffoli back!  We can't afford him but that's besides the point.

You're sentimental....

I don't think MON would trade Toffoli to dump cap. They have a bunch of lesser players that they would clear out before him. But he is a useful asset (with no NTC/NMCs) that could be used in a trade to find a top 6 center 

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Yeah I am NOT saying VAN should be trading for Eichel but the Habs may consider it.