The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

If MTL matches, they will be just as  vulnerable next year when both JK and Suzuki becomes RFA.  Unless they are able to re-sign them asap.  But even then, it'll be a tight cap hit that will force some players to be traded out.

42 minutes ago, BPA said:

If MTL matches, they will be just as  vulnerable next year when both JK and Suzuki becomes RFA.  Unless they are able to re-sign them asap.  But even then, it'll be a tight cap hit that will force some players to be traded out.

I’m pretty sure you’ll see Suzuki signed well before anyone gets a shot at an offer sheet.  And with how high Kotkaniemi’s qualifying offer is I doubt anyone will step up and offer substantially more 

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

I'm not clear as to what the mandate for Montreal's season is. Do they have to make playoffs? Are they in a rebuild/retool mode? I think their mandate will determine whether they will take the picks from Carolina. 

They aren’t in a rebuild. They’re looking to compete/contend. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I'm not clear as to what the mandate for Montreal's season is. Do they have to make playoffs? Are they in a rebuild/retool mode? I think their mandate will determine whether they will take the picks from Carolina. 

They have been trying to keep competitive - most likely so that they don't completely waste Price and his contract. I think when they made it much farther in the playoffs than anyone expected, that gave credence to the idea that they were on the right track to succeed.

But let's face it - they overachieved. It was an illusion. (Much like our team the year prior.) The Canucks managed it thanks almost solely to goaltending, and Montreal managed it due to a combination of teamwork, effort, and also decent goaltending... but in the end, I'm still not really sure how it managed to all come together.

Now, they are already hurt by losing Weber (who brings a lot more than his most recent stats suggest), and would be put in a major cap bind if they matched the sheet. And if they don't, well, they simply can't be competitive if they lose another center. 

Tough times for Montreal.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

They have been trying to keep competitive - most likely so that they don't completely waste Price and his contract. I think when they made it much farther in the playoffs than anyone expected, that gave credence to the idea that they were on the right track to succeed.

But let's face it - they overachieved. It was an illusion. (Much like our team the year prior.) The Canucks managed it thanks almost solely to goaltending, and Montreal managed it due to a combination of teamwork, effort, and also decent goaltending... but in the end, I'm still not really sure how it managed to all come together.

Now, they are already hurt by losing Weber (who brings a lot more than his most recent stats suggest), and would be put in a major cap bind if they matched the sheet. And if they don't, well, they simply can't be competitive if they lose another center. 

Uhhhhhhhhhh…..

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Molson should fire Bergevin, he brought this on the organization.

As well as what he did in the draft, can his a$$

Is it because he speaks french and english in that market?

what a gong show

guess Benning aint as bad as we thought 

:towel:

Edited by teepain
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Molson should fire Bergevin, he brought this on the organization.

As well as what he did in the draft, can his a$$

He built a team that just went to the cup final.  The offseason hasn’t been good but I imagine his job is pretty damn safe right now 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He built a team that just went to the cup final.  The offseason hasn’t been good but I imagine his job is pretty damn safe right now 

It doesn't matter that was the past. Just like how Gillis won GM of the year and his team won 2 straight president trophies. But 2 years later fans were chanting "Fire Gillis" in the stands.

• Cheers 1

Just now, playboi19 said:

It doesn't matter that was the past. Just like how Gillis won GM of the year and his team won 2 straight president trophies. But 2 years later fans were chanting "Fire Gillis" in the stands.

Timing plays into things.  They haven’t played a game since the cup final. No way Molson fires him before we see how the team performs on the ice 

27 minutes ago, teepain said:

Is it because he speaks french and english in that market?

what a gong show

guess Benning aint as bad as we thought 

:towel:

To be fair Bergevin has made some very astute trades and built a team that went to the cup final.  Benning hasn’t had that level of success 

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

Re-alignment helped a lot. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Re-alignment helped a lot. 

And playing their final 24 games in 42 nights due to their covid shutdown hurt them a lot.  Just like the Canucks playing their final 19 in 32 nights hurt them.  Montreal was running on fumes by the end of the season.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Habs were 25th the previous season.  It’s very likely they finish bottom 10 again this season too.  They’re not a good team, and lost their best centre and D.  It’s probably smartest for them not to match on JK and collect picks for a rebuild.  

This is Bergy and he's a clown so sometimes he does crack crap that sticks, other times he does crazy stuff that ends right in the garbage can.   Not too sure what how this one will work out.  Was a bad pick to begin with. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is Bergy and he's a clown so sometimes he does crack crap that sticks, other times he does crazy stuff that ends right in the garbage can.   Not too sure what how this one will work out.  Was a bad pick to begin with. 

whats most interesting to me is we now maybe get to see if it was the player or the team development, if Bergeclown doesn't match. 

• Like 1