The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

18 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Who are the Habs centre's? Are they still insisting that Drouin is a centre? Losing Danault, Perry and Kotkaniemi doesn't instill much confidence. Divorak is good but can is he a game changer?

They’ve upgraded.

E.Staal, Kotkaniemi, Perry, Danault, Tatar

is now

C.Dvorak, Paquette, Hoffman, Perreault, and a  refreshed and returning Drouin… down the middle with..

N.Suzuki

C.Dvorak

R.Poehling

C.Paquette

J.Evans

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

So let me get this straight...

Carolina offersheets Kotkaniemi for 1y 6.1m - Montreal does not match it and receives a 1st* and 3rd round pick. The 2nd round pick is 3 drafts away  so its not like they gave up anything anytime soon. 

Bergervan loses JK but gets a 1st and 3rd and trades a conditional 1st and his own 2nd round pick to ARZ for Dvorak who is under contract for 4 more years at 4.45m scoring 15+ goals in 4/5 seasons, where as JK hasnt broken 15 once and wasnt ever on pace for 15 goals and people think Bergerclown got bent over?

It basically works out to Kotkaniemi+2nd for Dvorak+3rd

Or 1st (CAR) + 2nd (MTL) for Dvorak+3rd

Sep 4, 2021chat.svg

Arizona Coyotes Acquire:
Arizona Coyotes
2022 conditional 1st round pick* (MTL)
2024 2nd round pick (MTL)
*Conditions: The better of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick BUT if either or both are top 10 picks then Montreal will instead transfer to Arizona the worse of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick.
Sum: $0
Change: -$4,450,000
Trade

Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Montreal Canadiens
Christian Dvorak · $4,450,000
Sum: $4,450,000
Change: +$4,450,000

If anything a 1st + 3rd +6.1m cap hit for 1 year for Kotkaniemi looks like a bad trade off.

At least Montreal got a guy who is putting up 15+ goals consistently on a bottom team, under contract for a few years at a good cap hit. 

My question is what happens if Kotkaniemi has a sh*t year.... CAR still holds his rights and his value drops where do contract negotiations go from there? Its not often that you see a guy get a 1 year deal in his RFA year at a high cap hit. Does JK and Carolina come to an agreement below 6.1m if he has a down year? or do they meet close to that number on short term to see if he can live up to that contract? I feel like its a waste to offer sheet Kotkaniemi. A lot of people are saying he should be on a 2-3mil contract and now he's being paid well over that and there will be some gambling on him this year and next negotiation and in the end Carolina might have just handed a 1st and 3rd over to MTL for a 2nd/3rd line guy in the end.

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Carolina offersheets Kotkaniemi for 1y 6.1m - Montreal does not match it and receives a 1st* and 3rd round pick. The 2nd round pick is 3 drafts away  so its not like they gave up anything anytime soon. 

Bergervan loses JK but gets a 1st and 3rd and trades a conditional 1st and his own 2nd round pick to ARZ for Dvorak who is under contract for 4 more years at 4.45m scoring 15+ goals in 4/5 seasons, where as JK hasnt broken 15 once and wasnt ever on pace for 15 goals and people think Bergerclown got bent over?

Sep 4, 2021chat.svg

Arizona Coyotes Acquire:
Arizona Coyotes
*Conditions: The better of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick BUT if either or both are top 10 picks then Montreal will instead transfer to Arizona the worse of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick.
Trade

Montreal Canadiens

If anything a 1st + 3rd +6.1m cap hit for 1 year for Kotkaniemi looks like a bad trade off.

At least Montreal got a guy who is putting up 15+ goals consistently on a bottom team, under contract for a few years at a good cap hit. 

My question is what happens if Kotkaniemi has a sh*t year.... CAR still holds his rights and his value drops where do contract negotiations go from there? Its not often that you see a guy get a 1 year deal in his RFA year at a high cap hit. Does JK and Carolina come to an agreement below 6.1m if he has a down year? or do they meet close to that number on short term to see if he can live up to that contract? I feel like its a waste to offer sheet Kotkaniemi. A lot of people are saying he should be on a 2-3mil contract and now he's being paid well over that and there will be some gambling on him this year and next negotiation and in the end Carolina might have just handed a 1st and 3rd over to MTL for a 2nd/3rd line guy in the end.

What happens when the Habs finish 20th in the league?  That means their first round pick (12OA) goes to 

Arizona, and the draft is in Montreal.  How stupid is that?  Betman, at that draft, will announce the Hab’s pick is Arizona’s!  :lol:

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What happens when the Habs finish 20th in the league?  That means their first round pick (12OA) goes to 

Arizona, and the draft is in Montreal.  How stupid is that?  Betman, at that draft, will announce the Hab’s pick is Arizona’s!  :lol:

If habs end up drawing a lottery pick, it will be protected and they'll send the Canes pick to Arizona.  However, if Montreal just misses the draft... Say end up picking 17oa, then they'll have to give that pick to Arizona and only have the Canes 1st to draft with.  This should be the year the habs tank and get a good draft pick rather than just missing playoffs.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Since we’re playing “what if?”  What if Montreal’s pick is top 10 so Arizona gets Carolinas pick.  And what if Arizona’s pick is somewhere between 27-32? Then it’s one hell of a deal isn’t it?  What if Dvorak thrives in Montreal and Kotkaniemi continues to struggle?  Bottom line is Bergevin took a crap situation and navigated it beautifully 

• Haha 1

@Hairy Kneel and @Alflivesmust think that adding a young and always improving speedy 2nd line center, a fiery proven 4th line center with cup run experience, a gritty 30 goal scorer, a competitive veteran that can play any line and situation, and the return of a former 3rd overall pick with top ten hands that’s shown he’s good for at least 50 points so far… is not better than a declining, lack of any foot speed 37 year old center, a young and very raw fringe 2nd liner with much to prove, an aging and lack of foot speed streaky sniper, an overpaid shutdown center, and a skilled forward that did not have any effect whatsoever and was injured during his teams run to the SCF….. so yes.

Drouin, C.Dvorak, Paquette, Hoffman, Perreault >>>

E.Staal, Kotkaniemi, Perry, Danault, Tatar

Edited by ZH96

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

@Hairy Kneel and @Alflivesmust think that adding a young and always improving speedy 2nd line center, a fiery proven 4th line center with cup run experience, a gritty 30 goal scorer, a competitive veteran that can play any line and situation, and the return of a former 3rd overall pick with top ten hands that’s shown he’s good for at least 50 points so far… is not better than a declining, lack of any foot speed 37 year old center, a young and very raw fringe 2nd liner with much to prove, an aging and lack of foot speed streaky sniper, an overpaid shutdown center, and a skilled forward that did not have any effect whatsoever and was injured during his teams run to the SCF…..

Hate the Habs.  They will stink like old socks.  And that makes me smile.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Hate the Habs.  They will stink like old socks.  And that makes me smile.  

Careful Alfie. I can see the Canucks playing them in the Final in the next 3 years.. never underestimate. The same way you’re talking about them is what people said before they bounced the Leafs, Jets, Golden Knights, and gave Tampa a little bit of nervousness as the way less experienced and more raw team

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

Sep 4, 2021chat.svg

Arizona Coyotes Acquire:
Arizona Coyotes
Trade

Montreal Canadiens

the flip side of this is MTL mishandled his development and deployment. If Carolina is correct and the kid IS actually a top 10 pick talent, then this is a clear win for Carolina.

I like Dvorak, he'd be a nice fit on the Canucks top 9. But his ceiling is lower than JK's. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, ZH96 said:

Careful Alfie. I can see the Canucks playing them in the Final in the next 3 years.. never underestimate. The same way you’re talking about them is what people said before they bounced the Leafs, Jets, Golden Knights, and gave Tampa a little bit of nervousness as the way less experienced and more raw team

Happy the Habs beat the Leafs.  Hate the Leafs more. 

3 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Price and a string of good bounces did that. They didn't give Tampa much of a challenge, lets be honest here. 

57 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the flip side of this is MTL mishandled his development and deployment. If Carolina is correct and the kid IS actually a top 10 pick talent, then this is a clear win for Carolina.

I like Dvorak, he'd be a nice fit on the Canucks top 9. But his ceiling is lower than JK's. 

Personally I just havent seen JK’s “potential”. Granted its a pretty small sample size I’ve seen but his speed isnt neck breaking, his shot isnt heavy, his hands are okay but they arent magic. Like usually a guy thats breaking into the league shows something that is above the rest, for example Boeser‘s shot, we could see from the start the kid had a special shot, Hoglander has creativeness and a fearless attitude, he didnt rack up a ton of points but you can see a ton of potential. Like dont get me wrong, JK is pretty decent, but nothing stands out in particular about him, aside from that mole. 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, Viper007 said:

Definitely this.  I heard they might pair him with Aho and TT.  He may actually live up to the 6.1 Mill(probably not) if he is on that line.  Also if Mtl's draft pick ends up being 11, and Carolina winning the cup.  That would take this trade to the extreme lol.

lol unlikely carolina would be even close to winning the cup.. they were a playoff team last year with good goaltending.. now that's gone.. and then losing hamilton.. now they added 6.1mil and pushed them right to the cap.. they have 0 flexibility nor draft capitals to even do anything at the TDL if they even want to make a push