The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Burroughs | #44 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Love me some Burroughs, but I am not sure if he can effectively handle 2nd pairing minutes for an extended period of time. Dekeyser has shown that he can be a solid 4/5, although maybe not that exciting. I'd expect Dekeyser or Poolman to get a the last 2nd pairing spot with Dermott and Schenn being darkhorses. I don't think Rathbone will make it this year in the NHL, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. I do also have doubts on Poolman's ability to stay healthy, so that might add to things too.

Seems that Myers and Burroughs played together last year a bit. I found this video which shows them together against Zegras. I did not remember it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kilgore said:

Burroughs....Why don't we need him?

Just listening to talk radio/pod and it seems like Burroughs may be headed to the waiver wire.  

Uh....why?

I realize we have brought in DeKeyser on a PTO, and have to give him a shot.  And with Dermott and Poolman healthy, its difficult to fit him in.  But dang, this organization has a history of undervaluing defensive defensemen.  And how many times do we wish more Canucks would step up and defend his teammates like Burroughs does?  He had 122 hits and 52 blocked shots in only 42 games.  Face it, offense isn't his strong point but he had more points in 42 games, with limited ice time, than Poolman got in 40. 

I think Schenn was happy to have another physical teammate to take the load off of him as the teams tough only real tough guy.  But more than that, I thought Burroughs also was one of the better D in zone exits, which I  thought was to be valued more this season. 

He's still young enough, as a D, to improve with more ice time.  I'll be sad if they dump him off to another team.  Another player who's value far exceeds his cap hit, thrown out the door.  I thought he'd be great continuing as a 6th D.  Using him more depending on the physical nature of the opposition. And save the cap $ for a real upgrade to help Quinn.

Have you seen Brady Keeper 6'2, 205 lbs play, so aggressive.. He was so unfortunate to have serious injury and miss all of the season last year.. Fans will like his game,.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Seems that Myers and Burroughs played together last year a bit. I found this video which shows them together against Zegras. I did not remember it.

Yes, I don't doubt that he got some cups of coffee with higher-end d-men, but he averaged 12:56 per game in his 42 games last year, which is low, even for a bottom pairing guy.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, wildcam said:

Have you seen Brady Keeper 6'2, 205 lbs play, so aggressive.. He was so unfortunate to have serious injury and miss all of the season last year.. Fans will like his game,.

I have been wondering about Keeper

have you seen him play this camp

how's his skating?

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the fence about having Burroughs in our lineup to start the year, he is arguably an AHL guy on any playoff team, but boy has he stepped up big time with Myers and Dermott out. A big last 2 games, logged some big minutes, he's not great on the PK but has looked comfortable 5 on 5.

One of the few bright spots of our season so far, he'll make a nice 3rd pairing with Dermott when they're all healthy or hopefully Rathbone at some point too.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, DanielCloutier said:

the one or two games he played on the 4th line he laid a few hits on the forecheck and did the best he could but he was clearly a fish out of water as a defenseman playing the wing. positioning was awful. bad on break outs. hitting was the only thing he did good.

Agreed. Burroughs does not work as a forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Gordy Howe was unique in that way. He could and did "switch hit" I'm unaware of any other "switch hitters"

Although Rypien was known for his deadly lefts, I'm pretty sure he could throw right handers as well. His switching of hands is what often gave him the upper hand.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's like "Burroughs wasn't our signing, and he's okay, but we got our guy in Stillman, so he has to play." Until tonight, when Burroughs was pretty solid except for getting walked down the middle on the third goal. He plays within his range of skills and is pretty good for only ever getting to play once a week, if that. I just feel more ocnfident whe I see 44 out there.

• 2 weeks later...

From Canucks Army, via Bill Huan

"To celebrate, let’s look at a Canucks storyline that should boost your holiday spirits, and what better place to start than Kyle Burroughs’ DAWG rating?
Burroughs has that DAWG in him! 
Oh, you thought we were going to reveal the DAWG formula here, didn’t you?
Not so fast.
Faber’s keeping his revolutionary stat close to the vest, and scientists will be trying to decrypt his secret for centuries to come. Legend has it that he keeps the formula in the same vault in which Coca-Cola hides its recipe, although I’m sure you can bribe the man by feeding him some better intermission snacks.
So far, Burroughs has been one of the leaders in DAWG, and he’s held up his own in some more conventional stats too. The defender has an expected goals against per hour of 2.63 at five on five, which is the fourth-best mark on the team and second among blueliners.
His actual numbers paint a bleaker picture, as the Canucks have conceded 2.99 actual goals while scoring an anemic 0.92 per hour. However, those figures have been anchored by an unsustainable PDO of 0.935, the lowest on the team. The Canucks currently have an on-ice shooting percentage of just 3.17% with Burroughs playing, which is due for some positive regression.
He’s arguably been the club’s most unlucky player when considering they have an expected goals percentage of 47.19% with him on the ice (fourth on the team), and yet their actual number is 23.5%. Of course, a part of that is caused by Burroughs’ nonexistent offence, but there’s no way any player will continue to see a discrepancy of over 30% between their actual and expected figures with a large enough sample size.
Plus, he’s still been a positive defensively for a club that struggles to keep pucks out of the net. For someone who’s paid to be a depth piece, that deserves praise — especially considering Burroughs often gets matched up against middle and top-six competition"

^^^^^^^^

This is a great take on Burroughs. 

His aggression stats are monster. In 59 total games for us including last season, Burroughs has 95 blocks and 178 hits.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1