The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Burroughs | #44 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I’m really hoping Canucks resign Kyle. I believe he’s earned it.

It would be a mistake to NOT retain Burroughs. Great depth guy that can be a 7/8 but then step in after being in the press box for a long stretch and not look out of place. Oh, and he stands up for his teammates...team needs more Burroughs not less!

I mean a deal cant be that hard to do, 2 yr 8-900k per. Would only make some sense if they did want to bring Schenn back for that depth role and leadership.

6 hours ago, Neutral said:

It would be a mistake to NOT retain Burroughs. Great depth guy that can be a 7/8 but then step in after being in the press box for a long stretch and not look out of place. Oh, and he stands up for his teammates...team needs more Burroughs not less!

I mean a deal cant be that hard to do, 2 yr 8-900k per. Would only make some sense if they did want to bring Schenn back for that depth role and leadership.

Think we have enough RD now and the way Woo is playing he should get a chance next year.

Far as Schenn sticking up for a coach getting fired is a reason he wasn't resigned, so highly doubt he resigns.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Think we have enough RD now and the way Woo is playing he should get a chance next year.

Far as Schenn sticking up for a coach getting fired is a reason he wasn't resigned, so highly doubt he resigns.

It's very unlikely that Woo is Schenn level next year, but he has shown marked improvement in Abby this year. I do agree that he'll at least fight for a spot next year.

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's very unlikely that Woo is Schenn level next year, but he has shown marked improvement in Abby this year. I do agree that he'll at least fight for a spot next year.

The only issue I have with that is how much TOI Woo would get in Vancouver. His game is coming on simply because he is getting playing time. The previous 2 seasons he simply didn't get enough games because of Covid and injury. Because of his waiver status I hope he stays in Abby and if he shines there then maybe he comes up to stay by December. I don't want him sitting in Van or have him lost to waivers. 

On 4/17/2023 at 12:58 AM, -AJ- said:

I like all this Woo hype but sorry, I just don't see him better than the guys we already have. The list is long, even on RD. Right now, with no changes, IMO we've got:

1) Hronek

2) Myers (yikes)

3) Bear + Dermott

4) Burroughs

5) Woo

6) McWard

Depends what Allvin wants to do with Bear and Dermott in the off-season, to be honest we can't really keep both so depends on how much money they want because they're similar enough. Bear was brilliant before his injury, very inconsistent afterwards. I really liked Dermott, plays gritty at times but not as offensive-minded, but we haven't seen him play properly in ages.

I just don't see Woo beating out Bear, Dermott and Burroughs to get a roster spot. Of course if there's massive changes (eg. Myers and Dermott out) then there's an opening, but he hasn't even played in the NHL yet as a call-up, so has a long way to go.

To be honest, we've seen Burroughs play well for us as a limited minutes guy, if his minutes get too high or his responsibilities too much (eg. on the ice against top lines) he gets destroyed, and he's been average on the PK, but he has a spot on this team IMO on our bottom pairing so he should be duking it out against Bear and Dermott for the bottom pairing RD spot.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I like all this Woo hype but sorry, I just don't see him better than the guys we already have. The list is long, even on RD. Right now, with no changes, IMO we've got:

1) Hronek

2) Myers (yikes)

3) Bear + Dermott

4) Burroughs

5) Woo

6) McWard

Depends what Allvin wants to do with Bear and Dermott in the off-season, to be honest we can't really keep both so depends on how much money they want because they're similar enough. Bear was brilliant before his injury, very inconsistent afterwards. I really liked Dermott, plays gritty at times but not as offensive-minded, but we haven't seen him play properly in ages.

I just don't see Woo beating out Bear, Dermott and Burroughs to get a roster spot. Of course if there's massive changes (eg. Myers and Dermott out) then there's an opening, but he hasn't even played in the NHL yet as a call-up, so has a long way to go.

To be honest, we've seen Burroughs play well for us as a limited minutes guy, if his minutes get too high or his responsibilities too much (eg. on the ice against top lines) he gets destroyed, and he's been average on the PK, but he has a spot on this team IMO on our bottom pairing so he should be duking it out against Bear and Dermott for the bottom pairing RD spot.

It might come down to how well Woo does in the Calder. Because of waivers I can see Woo in Abby until Nov/Dec based on who comes out of camp and how they perform. Woo brings size and truculence which Van needs on the back end. 

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1) Hronek

2) Myers (yikes)

3) Bear + Dermott

4) Burroughs

5) Woo

6) McWard

It really depends on if he can continue his trajectory. With the way he is now, I don't see him beating out those three guys, but if he continues to improve during the playoffs and through the off-season, he could be good enough to contest them for a spot IMO. I've never really bought into Woo hype, but it does feel like this is the best he's ever been based on stats and the games I've seen.

I wouldn't call it a disaster though if he doesn't make it. He's not likely to ever be better than 5/6 anyways. That said, Woo is at the age where he will soon move out of prospect stage and into career AHLer stage, so it's a crucial time for him. He's still just 22, but will turn 23 this summer so is only a bit younger than Rathbone.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It really depends on if he can continue his trajectory. With the way he is now, I don't see him beating out those three guys, but if he continues to improve during the playoffs and through the off-season, he could be good enough to contest them for a spot IMO. I've never really bought into Woo hype, but it does feel like this is the best he's ever been based on stats and the games I've seen.

I wouldn't call it a disaster though if he doesn't make it. He's not likely to ever be better than 5/6 anyways. That said, Woo is at the age where he will soon move out of prospect stage and into career AHLer stage, so it's a crucial time for him. He's still just 22, but will turn 23 this summer so is only a bit younger than Rathbone.

Woo requires waivers next year. As a 23 year old right shot D who plays physical and has more room to develop IMHAO he gets plucked if we try to send him down. He could develop into another Chatfield. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Woo requires waivers next year. As a 23 year old right shot D who plays physical and has more room to develop IMHAO he gets plucked if we try to send him down. He could develop into another Chatfield. 

How the Hurricanes developed Chatfield speaks volumes to how well that team operates. Chatfield played many games at 10 - 12 minutes of TOI. Gradually they up his ice time. IMHO Woo has every bit as much potential as Chatfield and is much bigger. My hope is that they keep him in Abby until things shake out coming from the pre-season. Meyers is moved and PA picks up another top 4 right D or Johansson surprises out of camp. By December things should have shook out and Woo might get a crack. Bottom line is he is subject to waivers and if he is brought up it will be to stay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...