The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Boeser is not ready to begin the season does that leave an opening for Klimovich?  

Miller           Pettersson    Garland

Pearson      Horvat          Höglander

Podkolzin   Dickinson      Klimovich

I'd like to see that in one of the two final games against Edmonton and see what happens...

Klimovich won't start with the Canucks, his overall game needs work. I'm hoping that they send him to Abbotsford instead of Junior.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Slow start for Demko.  Started two games, lost both (let in 4 each game)  Halak and DiPietro have been better.

He hasn't been playing lights out but I don't think Demko has been bad or slow.  Halak and DiPietro didn't face stronger line-ups.  The Kraken iced what is probably going to be their opening night line-up whereas the Canucks scratched Miller, sat Boeser since he's injured, still don't have Hamonic, and were still without Pettersson and Hughes.  Let's also not forget Sutter and Motte who would provide higher end fourth line depth.  Those are pretty significant pieces of what the main Canucks' line-up was supposed to be. 

A little disappointing that the Canucks couldn't generate more chances against the Kraken despite strong possession stats, but I guess that's what happens when there's less skill in the line-up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

He hasn't been playing lights out but I don't think Demko has been bad or slow.  Halak and DiPietro didn't face stronger line-ups.  The Kraken iced what is probably going to be their opening night line-up whereas the Canucks scratched Miller, sat Boeser since he's injured, still don't have Hamonic, and were still without Pettersson and Hughes.  Let's also not forget Sutter and Motte who would provide higher end fourth line depth.  Those are pretty significant pieces of what the main Canucks' line-up was supposed to be. 

A little disappointing that the Canucks couldn't generate more chances against the Kraken despite strong possession stats, but I guess that's what happens when there's less skill in the line-up.

Lots of excuses why he's not playing well yet. Grubauer was great last night, and that's why SEA will be as competitive as they'll be this year.  

• Cheers 1

Thus far in the preseason, this is my guess at our top 13/14 F group for opening night, based on what I've seen:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Garland - Horvat - Höglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe - Dowling - Gadjovich

(Motte inj) - (Sutter inj) - Chiasson/Highmore

Not too shabby

Green has been overplaying Rathbone. 7 PPs to kill and Rathbone (who doesn't really kill that many penalties) ends up having more minutes than Juolevi, someone who is a pretty good PKer. That's hilarious, really. :picard:

I GET why Rathbone is so exciting to watch. i want him to do well, and he is very very good in the offensive end. But it seems like Green is in love with Rathbone, to the point that he's willing to overlook all the deficiencies. I recall how he said Rathbone was like -3 or whatever, but he was "fine with it"

Rathbone hasn't been playing THAT good to warrant a start over Juolevi who has been nothing but solid. Juolevi's game has never been flashy, but he is holding his own, which is what the Canucks need.

Rathbone in the lineup is NOT helping the Canucks. He needs more AHL time to hone his overall game. Anyone who thinks Rathbone should make the team is biased lol.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Green has been overplaying Rathbone. 7 PPs to kill and Rathbone (who doesn't really kill that many penalties) ends up having more minutes than Juolevi, someone who is a pretty good PKer. That's hilarious, really. :picard:

I GET why Rathbone is so exciting to watch. i want him to do well, and he is very very good in the offensive end. But it seems like Green is in love with Rathbone, to the point that he's willing to overlook all the deficiencies. I recall how he said Rathbone was like -3 or whatever, but he was "fine with it"

Rathbone hasn't been playing THAT good to warrant a start over Juolevi who has been nothing but solid. Juolevi's game has never been flashy, but he is holding his own, which is what the Canucks need.

Rathbone in the lineup is NOT helping the Canucks. He needs more AHL time to hone his overall game. Anyone who thinks Rathbone should make the team is biased lol.

I was kind of looking at it like rathbone is playing hughes minutes but the way the lineup has been put together where will rathbone get minutes when hughes and OEL are both in the lineup?  Rathbone hasn’t been working pk and hughes won’t be playing pk.  Only way rathbone cracks opening lineup is if one of he or hughes play rhd and I just don’t see that coming together right now.  I think plan a is to hope hamonic joins the team soon.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I was kind of looking at it like rathbone is playing hughes minutes but the way the lineup has been put together where will rathbone get minutes when hughes and OEL are both in the lineup?  Rathbone hasn’t been working pk and hughes won’t be playing pk.  Only way rathbone cracks opening lineup is if one of he or hughes play rhd and I just don’t see that coming together right now.  I think plan a is to hope hamonic joins the team soon.

Yeah... I would not be happy if Rathbone makes this team, based on his performances in the preseason. I'm not unhappy AT Rathbone though. I'd be unhappy at coaching staff for pushing a player into a spot that isn't entirely deserved. Juolevi has shown more roundness to the game, and you can see it because Green makes him play PK. Almost 5 minutes of PK time for him, and only 8 seconds for Rathbone (lol).

Edited by Dazzle

The Canucks D is their weakest links, by far.  No issues with the offence or goaltending.

Rathbone is an exciting prospect, but he's just that - a prospect. He needs to work on his D game. Having him and Hughes defending will result in a lot of goals against. The Canucks need defensive Dmen, preferably with size.

Juolevi has been pretty good IMO, and I really liked Burroughs' game last night. There's no rush to get Rathbone in the VAN lineup, let him develop in Abbotsford, getting a ton of big minutes and learning.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lots of excuses why he's not playing well yet. Grubauer was great last night, and that's why SEA will be as competitive as they'll be this year.  

Let's see when the real games starts. I remember Marky looked shaky pretty much every preseason but then when the season started it's almost as if the team played better D and he himself was a lot sharper. Strange isn't it? ;-)

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Am I the only one who has really not been overly impressed with Schenn? 

he's not good enough to be paired with Rathbone. Schenn is what he is, he looks as advertised to me, a 7/8 on a cheap deal.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Am I the only one who has really not been overly impressed with Schenn? 

He seems a bit slow.

I would actually prefer Bowey over Schenn.

The thought of Juolevi and Bowey pairing seems risky but when i actually think about it, I think it'll be better than Juolevi Schenn.

Schenn seems better in a set defense setting.  Bowey seems better in fluid game play. Same as Juolevi. 

I feel like if they keep their feet moving and make quick plays, the puck will get out of our zone quite quickly and most of the game will be played on neutral zone or attack zone.

The concern though is if they get matched up against opposing top lines and they need to play more stationary positional defense.  

TG can shelter them by giving them more  O zone faceoffs but the trouble will come when they ice the puck and get caught out on the ice and opposing team puts out the top line.

I think TG shoudl try putting the pair out there against Edmonton.  If they can survive that top line on icing calls, we have nothing to worry about.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Im quite confident we will outplay Seattle during reg season

Our AHL team yesterday outshot them by almost a 2-1 margin Actually 38 to 25.

Our PK looked dismal but were missing PK personel (Sutter, Motte, Poolman)

It'll be interesting to see how Grubauer plays when we have our best players in the game taking those shots rather than AHL fodder.