The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Bennings statement should be enough, but, this fan base will go on and on and on until TH does his thing on the ice. The proof of that was the nonsense over the contract negotiations with QH, and EP. Calling them everything from greedy, spoiled, entitled, selfish, and not being worth whatever they were going to get. With Jake gone, the next whipping boy is going to be.......?

Self entitled know it all's pushing a narrative until proven wrong . then think its all good to contract their said bull$%@# without realizing that's part of the problem. Media feeds of these people and they feed off crap media. the never ending circle.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

OJ was only second to Myers in TOI for dmen and third overall.  He was rock solid on the pk and had some great stretch passes out of the zone.

Rathbone, as usual, looked good in the ozone, but not so much in the dzone, though he does play physical in his own end........he just doesn't play a strong or disciplined positional game

JR looked so excited to get a hit on Dube. Finally someone he could win a physical battle with. Nice hit too. 

• Vintage 2

While after the last game I'm in agreement that the spot on the third D pair is probably Juolevi's, I've seen some folk call Rathbone "all flash". I hate that term. It's insulting and belittling to the player. It implies that having a dynamic offensive game is somehow a bad thing, or at least something that shouldn't be taken seriously when assessing the player's strengths and weaknesses. 

It's honestly incredibly rude to the player.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

OJ was only second to Myers in TOI for dmen and third overall.  He was rock solid on the pk and had some great stretch passes out of the zone.

Rathbone, as usual, looked good in the ozone, but not so much in the dzone, though he does play physical in his own end........he just doesn't play a strong or disciplined positional game

This is why, all along, I’ve thought that Rathbone will start in Abbotsford. I think he’ll be with the Canucks, full time by Xmas, but he needs work on defensive coverage.

Too many fans see his ability to move the puck and make plays and to them, that equates to being better than Juolevi, but you have to take care of both ends of the ice and right now, OJ is better defensively than Rathbone.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canadian said:

I wonder….

Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser

Gadjovich-Miller-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Chiasson

DiGiuseppe-Dickenson-Podkolzin

MacEwen

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi-Myers

Hunt-Burroughs

Demko

Halak

*Rathbone in Abbotsford to be 1D and further his development.

I was glad we signed Schenn early in the summer, but now after having see him play in couple of games, i found him reaaaaaally slow. I don't think he s the right partner anymore. 
Lets face it, Hamonic is the guy. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He’s far from all flash, but he does need to work on coverage within his own blue line. He’s close though, couple of months in Abbotsford will do him a world of good.

After last night's game I'm coming around on Juolevi over Rathbone. He played some hard minutes, and those are the type of minutes Rathbone isn't capable of playing right now.

My only point is that referring to a player as "all flash" is pretty insulting and disingenuous, considering how important a dynamic offense can be. Just look to Hughes' impact on the team for proof of that. Just because an aspect of the game is fun to watch doesn't mean it's unimportant

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He’s far from all flash, but he does need to work on coverage within his own blue line. He’s close though, couple of months in Abbotsford will do him a world of good.

If I were a shot caller for the Canucks, I'd be seeing how well he converts to the right side in Abby.  He's certainly skilled enough and it's not a bad thing having a gifted offense dman play the offside and have the puck in the middle of the ice, rather than the board side.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

After last night's game I'm coming around on Juolevi over Rathbone. He played some hard minutes, and those are the type of minutes Rathbone isn't capable of playing right now.

My only point is that referring to a player as "all flash" is pretty insulting and disingenuous, considering how important a dynamic offense can be. Just look to Hughes' impact on the team for proof of that. Just because an aspect of the game is fun to watch doesn't mean it's unimportant

I agree, there's a lot to be excited about with Rathbone, just needs a little tweaking in his game.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

If I were a shot caller for the Canucks, I'd be seeing how well he converts to the right side in Abby.  He's certainly skilled enough and it's not a bad thing having a gifted offense dman play the offside and have the puck in the middle of the ice, rather than the board side.

It would be a pretty interesting twist of fate if Juolevi and Rathbone wound up becoming D partners.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imagine a 5 on 3, where you could load up Hughes and Rathbone on the point and Boeser and Pettersson on the wings.

I do think that Rathbone has a better shot than Hughes, just not quite the same edge work.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While after the last game I'm in agreement that the spot on the third D pair is probably Juolevi's, I've seen some folk call Rathbone "all flash". I hate that term. It's insulting and belittling to the player. It implies that having a dynamic offensive game is somehow a bad thing, or at least something that shouldn't be taken seriously when assessing the player's strengths and weaknesses. 

It's honestly incredibly rude to the player.

I did not use the term "flashy" in regards to Rathbone in a derogatory or rude meaning. "Flashy", to me at least, means more noticeable, particularly offensively, as opposed to someone who remains steady, plays positionally sound hockey, and doesn't really stand out in any particular way. 

I tried researching but couldn't find anything else about Hamonic.  All it says is that he didn't opt out.  Nothing about rejoining the team.

So it's still quite possible that...

1) He rejoins the team soon (this would be the best case for the Canucks)

2) He wants to be traded to a US team (if rumors are true) and not have deal with all the restrictions. 

3) Not play and be suspended. 

4) Retire.

I guess we will find out when the pre-season ends and the regular season begins.

Harmonics young daughter has a lung disease so covid is a big deal to his family. 

enough said…

anywho

It still preseason, Canucks new coach King …plz work on getting the PP machine up and running. Don’t forget to read the instructions and take it outof the box. The machine needs space to run.

Go Canucks Go

B7898895-3F59-478F-BFA0-E1A5546CF168.gif