The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

29 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Take it with a grain of salt? 6.5 mill on a 3 year deal and pettersson 7.5

This is very reasonable if true. Pretty much as low as anyone could expect, given the ridiculous contracts recently handed out.

I'm of the camp that would love to see one sign long term, but this works too... though we are certainly going to have to pony up in 3 years.

2 minutes ago, Coda said:

Sounds like bridge deals are the most likely outcome.  The only problem is basically the Canucks entire core will need new deals in 2-3 years.  As usual

Gives a 2-3 year window and then time to assess who's worth bigger contracts and who's worth letting go in trades to bolster roster spots that need improvement if we can't get it done in that time frame. Bridge deals keep the AAV lower to add more depth to the lineup.

Plus gives a smaller window to assess if someone like Rathbone could take Quinn's role on a cheaper deal and could potentially move Quinn for a king's ransom for example. Also can see how Podkolzin and Klimovich grow to see if it's worth extending someone like JT Miller who will be near the dreaded 30+ age on his next contract.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Take it with a grain of salt? 6.5 mill on a 3 year deal and pettersson 7.5 ?

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Rumors-Montreal-and-Dubnyk-e4-Pettersson-and-Hughes-Updates-Buzz--1/1/113676

If this is accurate and/or the boys come in at the same term, I would think that's an area where JB gave into their demands. I'm sure he would have been pushing for differing lengths of term and that may have been important to CAA. 

Both sides will give up something. I wouldn't blame JB for saying "F it" on that particular point though. Seeing as it may not be him anyway and we need to end this now.