The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

7 minutes ago, tas said:

check out the going rate for franchise players, especially in canadian markets. 

Objectively better players like McDavid, Drai, Matthews, Marner and Chabot?

Forget it. I'd rather sell them off to acquire a few more Hovat quality players and go with less front loaded team building approach. Our blueline in particular needs a lot of work and we're not going to be able to fix it if we're paying Hughes some ridiculous amount of money to not play defense. 

Signing Pettersson and Hughes to the contracts you suggest will doom us to mediocrity for the remainder of their contracts. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Objectively better players like McDavid, Drai, Matthews, Marner and Chabot?

Forget it. I'd rather sell them off to acquire a few more Hovat quality players and go with less front loaded team building approach. Our blueline in particular needs a lot of work and we're not going to be able to fix it if we're paying Hughes some ridiculous amount of money to not play defense. 

Signing Pettersson and Hughes to the contracts you suggest will doom us to mediocrity for the remainder of their contracts. 

would you take Severson and NJ's unprotected 1st for Hughes? 

And the only reason I'm even thinking about this is their &^@#ing agent is pricing them both off our team. I really hate JP Barry. 

• Cheers 2

To be clear, I'm still very much a fan of Quinn and Petey and want them to stay as Canucks.

As a fan from the start, I also want to win the Cup. That's why I don't want to sacrifice our future just so they can get paid as much as they can squeeze out of us.

If we have to trade a roster player to make it work, that weakens our team. Other teams will know our predicament and we might have to add assets to the roster player to make it work. That would further weaken our team; right when we're finally stepping into our window of competitiveness and contending.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

would you take Severson and NJ's unprotected 1st for Hughes? 

And the only reason I'm even thinking about this is their &^@#ing agent is pricing them both off our team. I really hate JP Barry. 

Throw in Kevin Bahl and yes.  Imagine Bahl and Woo clearing our crease for a decade.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm going to guess it ends up $9.5 x 4 for petey (he sacrifices dollars, jim sacrifices leverage) and $8.5 x 4 for quinn (jim sacrifices dollars, quinn sacrifices leverage) and benning somehow finds a way to make the dollars work. 

maybe even identical $9 x 4 deals. 

Those would be TERRIBLE deals for the team. 

TERRIBLE

TERRIBLE

DEALS

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

No GM will trade a franchise RFA who is unsigned to Buffalo.  Think about it.  What return would you get for a candidate who will hold out rather than report?

However, I get your sentiment.  You are not wrong on that count.

Get a contract number that Buffalo is willing to pay, “cave in” to the player but ensure no clauses for the first two 2 years.  Hand the player a ticket to Buffalo before the ink dry and say have fun in Siberia.  Sends a message to these entitled RFAs league wide

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

Get a contract number that Buffalo is willing to pay, “cave in” to the player but ensure no clauses for the first two 2 years.  Hand the player a ticket to Buffalo before the ink dry and say have fun in Siberia.  Sends a message to these entitled RFAs league wide

NTC's aren't valid until UFA anyway.

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

Again zero chance Buffalo agrees to this. They get a franchise D at a big price who doesn't want to play for them  and was fooled into the deal.  Not in any reality does that deal come together between actual NHL teams.

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

To be clear, I'm still very much a fan of Quinn and Petey and want them to stay as Canucks.

As a fan from the start, I also want to win the Cup. That's why I don't want to sacrifice our future just so they can get paid as much as they can squeeze out of us.

If we have to trade a roster player to make it work, that weakens our team. Other teams will know our predicament and we might have to add assets to the roster player to make it work. That would further weaken our team; right when we're finally stepping into our window of competitiveness and competing.

I’ve been saying this for weeks, Ferland’s space should be used for depth and cap flexibility come the trade deadline, using hurts the team cap wise until Myers comes off in 3 years and will be sending us backwards starting next summer

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Again zero chance Buffalo agrees to this. They get a franchise D at a big price who doesn't want to play for them  and was fooled into the deal.  Not in any reality does that deal come together between actual NHL teams.

Why you ensure 2 years without trade clauses

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Philly did something similar with Jeff Carter and Columbus.

Just now, bbllpp said:

Why you ensure 2 years without trade clauses

Lol. Buffalo will not pay Vancouver fair value to get an unhappy pissed off player. Just kind of silly to suggest.  Right? Although I get where you are coming from that our entitled RFAs don't help us build a winning franchise.

• Cheers 1