The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we'd match that offer. Thats not going to happen. Seattle would have to offer 7.8 x 7 years, e.g. or 9.1 x 6 for that compensation to kick in. They'd have to go higher, i.e. 4 1sts.

Why would Seattle risk hamstringing its own development like this, it doesn't make sense. What if Petey doesn't like it there as a UFA? 

The compensation is based on a 5 year AAV, regardless of the length of the deal. Even if they got him relatively cheap, say 7 years at $7m, that’s four first round picks as compensation IIRC. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Well, lets review.

You claim, without any supporting theory at all, that you know for certain EP would 99.9999999999% not sign one. Other than pretending you know him, no other reason given.

I gave a bunch of reasons and scenarios both from his perspective and Seattle's perspective why it would make sense to at least consider the option, depending on how contract negotiations are going. Which none of us actually know.

Does that mean its for sure going to happen? No. Does that even mean its likely? No.

But it also doesnt mean it cant or wont. And it sure as hell isnt comparable to random events like getting struck by lightning or a person not interested in a job suddenly being offered one lol. Thats just a false equivalency. 

In the last 8 years since 2013 only one time has a player signed a offer sheet. Almost a decade bro only 1 player. You have no idea what youre talking about.

Theres a better chance to get struck by lightning than petey signing a offer sheet.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Like 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

In the last 8 years since 2013 only one time has a player signed a offer sheet. Almost a decade bro only 1 player. You have no idea what youre talking about.

Like I said, its not likely. But it is possible. And more possible than with the statistical certainty you claim.

This is a unique year with a Seattle team essentially having a significant amount of cap space available along with the potential to draft a competitive roster first.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, its not likely. But it is possible. And more possible than with the statistical certainty you claim.

This is a unique year with a Seattle team essentially having a significant amount of cap space available along with the potential to draft a competitive roster first.

Give it up smh:picard:

• Like 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Give it up smh:picard:

Give up what? Presenting facts? 

Maybe you should give up your delusion that because you think you know EP you can say with certainty what he and his agent will consider or wont.

No one here will ever know if he did or did not consider signing an offer sheet. Or if one was even presented. 

Given who his agent is, I highly doubt that option would not have been part of their discussion.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe you should give up your delusion that because you think you know EP you can say with certainty what he and his agent will consider or wont.

No one here will ever know if he did or did not consider signing an offer sheet. Or if one was even presented. 

Given who his agent is, I highly doubt that option would not have been part of their discussion.

Everyone and their grandma knows its less than a 1% chance and im the one being delusional lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

just because something is possible doesn't mean it's worth talking about. benning could cram jp barry into the trunk of his car and back it into english bay, but it's so unlikely that it's just not worth mentioning.

just like petey signing an offer sheet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The compensation is based on a 5 year AAV, regardless of the length of the deal. Even if they got him relatively cheap, say 7 years at $7m, that’s four first round picks as compensation IIRC. 

I was trying to use the cap friendly calculator. 

But there's no way we don't match 7x7. Seattle would be doing us a favour if thats the sheet they put forward :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure the calendar this year but normally aren't offer sheets after the draft, so any picks would start next year?

Not that it changes the conversation materially.  I don't see it happening.  If an offer sheet does happen, I don't see it as one we wouldn't match.  If we don't match, it should be big enough compensation that we can happily take the picks and spend the cap money elsewhere.

ah right, it would be next season. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

just because something is possible doesn't mean it's worth talking about. benning could cram jp barry into the trunk of his car and back it into english bay, but it's so unlikely that it's just not worth mentioning.

just like petey signing an offer sheet. 

Isnt talking about the team, whats possible, etc kind of the whole point of cdc?

There is a whole forum dedicated to trade proposals most of which have less chance of becoming reality than an EP offer sheet.

And again, Benning murdering Barry might not be a realistic comparable.

If you guys dont want to discuss things that are possible, then dont. Why get all bent out of shape when other people do? Life's too short. Nothing I have said is wrong or invalid. And unlike you guys, I have not once assigned any probability that it could or couldnt happen. The CBA suggests it could. So does the circumstances of all the parties involved.

Do I think it will? No. Its a small chance. But would rather the Canucks dont take an unnecessary risk to find out.

30 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

If Seattle signed him to an offer sheet, it would likely not be a long term, cap friendly deal. 

It would probably be structured to take him to UFA status with no more than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - or at most 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd - as the compensation.

That still would put a lot of cap pressure on the Canucks should they match, which they likely would. 

51 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wouldnt say it is anywhere near likely, buy I would not be surprised either. Really depends on what his expectation for icing a competitive team is right off the bat.

Adding to the Canucks cap woes if they match is just a bonus really.

no GM is going to make an offer sheet just to mess with our cap. I also doubt Seattle is all that focused on us. 

If Seattle is going to make a big offer sheet play, they'll go for Makar or Heiskanen assuming they don't want to build their team through the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was trying to use the cap friendly calculator. 

But there's no way we don't match 7x7. Seattle would be doing us a favour if thats the sheet they put forward :lol:

Exactly ! Anything bigger than that and we get our four first rounders plus Seattle’s potentially tied themselves to a long and cumbersome contract. 

Even the one offer sheet that has been signed in recent years (Aho) was a little underwhelming. Carolina must’ve looked at it and thought, “that’s it?” before matching it with a big smile. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

no GM is going to make an offer sheet just to mess with our cap. I also doubt Seattle is all that focused on us. 

If Seattle is going to make a big offer sheet play, they'll go for Makar or Heiskanen assuming they don't want to build their team through the draft. 

If those guys are available I am sure they would consider that as well. 

They wouldnt do it to mess with Vancouvers cap. Its just not a bad consolation prize if the offer sheet is in all likelihood matched. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Seattle signed him to an offer sheet, it would likely not be a long term, cap friendly deal. 

It would probably be structured to take him to UFA status with no more than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - or at most 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd - as the compensation.

That still would put a lot of cap pressure on the Canucks should they match, which they likely would. 

So say 4 years at $6.5-8.7 or whatever it is? Roughly around there. I think just about any offer sheet in that range the Canucks will match. They wouldn’t need to move a ton of cap to make that work. Just going off the top of my head without looking at CapFriendly but I think moving just one of Beagle or Rooster would be enough, and with both of those players entering the final year of their deals it shouldn’t be too hard to make that happen. 

I just don’t really see a scenario where the Canucks are truly screwed with an EP offer sheet. Anything large enough to really, truly put the screws to the organization re: their salary cap will be large enough to deter other teams IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Exactly ! Anything bigger than that and we get our four first rounders plus Seattle’s potentially tied themselves to a long and cumbersome contract. 

Even the one offer sheet that has been signed in recent years (Aho) was a little underwhelming. Carolina must’ve looked at it and thought, “that’s it?” before matching it with a big smile. 

I dont know if they were smiling as much as you suggest. That contract came with a massive amount in bonus money the first year.

From what I read, there was no situation where they would not have matched and were ok with the cap hit and term. But they were supremely salty at Aho's agent for forcing their hand with how it was structured.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he should care. It effects his players. 

So he should make EP and Hughes signs for peanut then coz there's a potential the Canucks will draft a player that he MIGHT be the agent of that'll need the cap so he can sign the best deal?? I wouldn't want an agent that doesn't look out for my best interest and think about other clients best interest. I mean its not that big of an effect on his other players. He can drag it out and see if another team will offer sheet or if his clients becomes Ufa they just sign elsewhere if they are only looking for money.

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont know if they were smiling as much as you suggest. That contract came with a massive amount in bonus money the first year.

From what I read, there was no situation where they would not have matched and were ok with the cap hit and term. But they were supremely salty at Aho's agent for forcing their hand with how it was structured.

The bonus was an issue, sure, but it wasn’t a terrible contract in regards to term and AAV for Carolina to match. Especially when you consider that I believe it fell within the range of a first, second, and third rounder as compensation the choice to match would’ve been an easy one.