The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

The bonus was an issue, sure, but it wasn’t a terrible contract in regards to term and AAV for Carolina to match. Especially when you consider that I believe it fell within the range of a first, second, and third rounder as compensation the choice to match would’ve been an easy one. 

If you think of the upfront financial impact though, you can see from Montreal's perspective how they might have thought there was a glimmer of hope.

Considering how publicly vocal Benning has been about the financial uncertainty causing delays in contracts and decisions, could another team sense that a massive upfront commitment could pose issues for the Canucks financially? Maybe.

Would it work? Highly doubtful they would not match. But it might cause some financial issues that impact other decisions. 

49 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The guy owns JB, no doubt about it. But then again, thats not Benning exclusive. He owns just about every GM.

As he should with the client list he has - especially his top 10 lol

32 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If you think of the upfront financial impact though, you can see from Montreal's perspective how they might have thought there was a glimmer of hope.

Considering how publicly vocal Benning has been about the financial uncertainty causing delays in contracts and decisions, could another team sense that a massive upfront commitment could pose issues for the Canucks financially? Maybe.

Would it work? Highly doubtful they would not match. But it might cause some financial issues that impact other decisions. 

It just seems too unlikely, they'd have to offer something astronomical for us to even consider not matching, like well north of 10M per year. 

With the way the organization has made it clear lately that all resources are going to be available to improve this team, I don't think theres anyway Seattle could structure a contract that would make us unwilling to match from a purely financial POV. As much as they did put the brakes on spending this past year, we aren't Carolina or Arizona.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

On the subject of Kraken offer-sheeting Elias...  sure, they could, but it's extremely unlikely. 

How many RFAs sign their deals every year?  Let's play it safe and assume that it's only 2 RFAs per team, so that's about 60 RFAs every summer.  There's what, 1 offer sheet signed once every five years?  

1/300 = 0.3%  :) 

25 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

On the subject of Kraken offer-sheeting Elias...  sure, they could, but it's extremely unlikely. 

How many RFAs sign their deals every year?  Let's play it safe and assume that it's only 2 RFAs per team, so that's about 60 RFAs every summer.  There's what, 1 offer sheet signed once every five years?  

1/300 = 0.3%  :) 

Exactly what I have been saying. Nowhere in this whole conversation did I say it was likely. I never assigned any probability to it at all actually. I just said it was possible and that an argument could be made that this offseason could be a unique opportunity for Seattle that would not be available in any other years.

Not every RFA is eligible for an offer sheet. And the vast majority that are would not be worth an offer sheet anyway. They really only make sense for star players that are expensive to acquire other ways.

If you look at the number of RFA guys who ever made it to the point of an offer sheet being possible while also being actually worth sending one, the percentage based on 1 being signed would be significantly higher than that.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is eligible to sign an offer sheet. 

Seattle has lots of incentive to approach EP with an offer sheet. If he signs and they get him, the draft pick cost is more than palatable for a young top center to build around. Plus the added bonus of poaching directly off a division rival. If the Canucks match, they still win in that it means they forced the Canucks to pay a higher cost to keep EP which will affect other areas of their team. 

There is incentive for EP to sign one too. Likely a better offer and it also gives him closure to his contract in aweek or less rather than dragging it out.

If Seattle has any aspirations to assign 10 to 15 AHLers to Abbotsford for their inaugural season, while their Palm Springs arena is getting built, they will eschew any offer sheets to any Vancouver players. 

Any California AHL team would also be ok for them, but all have full rosters.  Only the Canucks have a depleted AHL roster after sharing last season with the Blues, who might be a candidate for Seattle to share, but they will be in Springfield Mass., not quite as convenient as Abbotsford would be.  There is some chatter on the Kraken boards about Abbotsford

I think the Canucks and the Kraken are going to "play nice" with each other this inaugural season 

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol Barzal is carrying his team to the semi final? u mean pageau and defense/goalie?? i like how you pump Barzal's tire and then belittle Pettersson who have a higher points per game and plays good defense and works hard on his backcheck, and a superior scorer.. and then you'll prolly say Pettersson have better linemates blah blah.. pettersson put up pretty much the same stats in his rookie year as he did with JT miller.. so no Miller didn't make Pettersson better other than he helps him with the faceoff.. Barzal plays with 2 perennial 20 goal scorer on his line in Anders Lee and Jordan Erbele both been consistent 20 goal scorer before Barzal was even there. Barzal is not the only good player on the islander contrary to believe.. they have 5 20 goal scorers on their team unlike the canucks.. Islander is in the semi's because of trotz coaching and goaltending.. 1000% not because of Barzal carrying his team lol.. and it's not like Pettersson didn't "carry" his team to a play in series win first round upset over the defending champs and game 7 against a top 2 stanley cup favorites last year. 

other than his first season where he got a ton of PP time with tavares and finished the 85 points in 82 games... he's been on pace for 66-68 points every other season.. a far lower clip then Pettersson.. but whatever Pettersson is at best no better than Barzal lol despite every stats is in pettersson's favor..

as for Pettersson missing so much time? other than this season where he injured his wrist on a harmless play.. you can blame him for any of the other injury?? getting picked up and slammed to the ice by mathesson? the can opener by kotkaniemi?? those are more like attempts to injured more than a normal injury coz he pulled or tweaked something lol. he missed a grand total of 12 games in his 1st 2 season before this one 11 of those came from the mathesson and kotkaniemi cheap shot.. i hardly call that injury prone. 

no one cares what you or i think pettersson is worth.. there will be teams out there that have the cap space. it's not out of the realm of possibility someone will take a gamble on pettersson and offer 8-8.5 for 5+ years just like Montreal did with Aho.. all it cost is a 1st 2nd and a 3rd.. most 2nd and 3rd don't work out in the NHL anyways.. and more likely than not ur 1st will not be half the player Pettersson is. Benning better get this done one way or another before they get to the offer sheet period. Kraken would be a prime candidate that would consider an offer sheet.. getting a superstar in Pettersson and the 2nd overall pick to start ur team off?? cap wouldn't even be an issue with them.. and they'll be loaded with draft picks from side deals from other teams.

Boy if Pettersson signs elsewhere via an offer sheet, Benning deserves to get fired. EP40 is our &^@#ing franchise. There’s no way he goes. I think Benning and management would be forced to match and sign him, but he would be put in a tough place. Better be working his ass off this off-season in getting a deal in place. It has been quiet on that front for both Hughes and Pettersson. Is that a good sign? 

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

If Seattle has any aspirations to assign 10 to 15 AHLers to Abbotsford for their inaugural season, while their Palm Springs arena is getting built, they will eschew any offer sheets to any Vancouver players. 

Any California AHL team would also be ok for them, but all have full rosters.  Only the Canucks have a depleted AHL roster after sharing last season with the Blues, who might be a candidate for Seattle to share, but they will be in Springfield Mass., not quite as convenient as Abbotsford would be.  There is some chatter on the Kraken boards about Abbotsford

I think the Canucks and the Kraken are going to "play nice" with each other this inaugural season 

Fair points but I dont think that would stop Seattle if they really thought they could pull it off.

I am very hopeful the Canucks dont share their affiliate with anyone else. We saw how well that worked for them with St Louis. Abbotsford should be 100% about whats best for Canucks prospects.

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So he should make EP and Hughes signs for peanut then coz there's a potential the Canucks will draft a player that he MIGHT be the agent of that'll need the cap so he can sign the best deal?? I wouldn't want an agent that doesn't look out for my best interest and think about other clients best interest. I mean its not that big of an effect on his other players. He can drag it out and see if another team will offer sheet or if his clients becomes Ufa they just sign elsewhere if they are only looking for money.

I didn't say anything like that. 

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Boy if Pettersson signs elsewhere via an offer sheet, Benning deserves to get fired. EP40 is our &^@#ing franchise. There’s no way he goes. I think Benning and management would be forced to match and sign him, but he would be put in a tough place. Better be working his ass off this off-season in getting a deal in place. It has been quiet on that front for both Hughes and Pettersson. Is that a good sign? 

don't get sucked into the angst, Petey isn't going anywhere. 

If I'm Seattle and hell bent on offer-sheeting a player, I'm going after the best RFA available: not Elias, not Quinn, but Cale Makar.  

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

To put it into perspective, Carolina was happy when Aho signed that offer sheet.  They took their sweet time, while tying up Montreal's cap space, and then matched. 

It actually hasn't been too quiet on those two fronts.  The conversations have started a few weeks ago and the preliminary talks are already narrowing the years and numbers down.  

After making the right call on not resigning Marky and Tanev, and making a mistake on Tofu, Benning has gotten everything done since.  Pearson and Demko are back, coaches are back, we got a great assistant coach and he was able to land an extra pick and a useful bottom 6 player at the deadline even though our team was dealing with Covid. 

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If I'm Seattle and hell bent on offer-sheeting a player, I'm going after the best RFA available: not Elias, not Quinn, but Cale Makar.  

If he was available I probably would consider him first too. But Colorado would have a much easier time being able to match and it would probably have to be 4 first round picks to even have a chance.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It just seems too unlikely, they'd have to offer something astronomical for us to even consider not matching, like well north of 10M per year. 

With the way the organization has made it clear lately that all resources are going to be available to improve this team, I don't think theres anyway Seattle could structure a contract that would make us unwilling to match from a purely financial POV. As much as they did put the brakes on spending this past year, we aren't Carolina or Arizona.

I do not think that is true. If a team offers $10,907,737 for Pete or Hughes I think you take the 4 1sts. Honestly if the 2 1sts and a 2nd and a 3rd were on the table I'd take a long hard look. 

Would you pay 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd for the opportunity to sign Kaprizov or Barzal for 8.8m I wouldn't.

Edited by hammertime