The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

Another thrown away  draft pick.

other teams trash are better than JB’s picks I guess . the great drafter can’t be used for him. 

5 nhl regulars on our team drafted over 7 seasons only one developed by this organization. 
cupboards are bare for our prospect pool. 
macdough is going to go 4 years so he doesn’t get rail roared by crap coach and management . 
draft wizard lol 
Only player picked off waivers gauds. 

to bad green just loves his worthless  Megna type trash just  like willie. 
Who needs a young player with size… instead we have highmore getting knocked down every shift. 

happy for gauds he might get a real chance to play in the nhl not buried  behind recycled veterans that couldn’t become nhl regulars on terrible teams.

Edited by combover

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The only way I can understand Gadj being waived over Highmore, Petan, Dries, Focht, Chiasson, Dowling, Lockwood, McEwan  is that they were hoping to sneak him down?

maybe? but there's no real chance of sneaking anyone anymore, the scouting is too good. SJ probably takes Gadj's no matter what day we put him on waivers.

I don't necessarily agree but I guess it could be this:

Needed for PK: Highmore, Chaisson, Petan, Dowling

Needed for possible 4c: Petan, Dowling, Focht, Dries

Needed for toughness: Mac

And Lockwood has just been showing too well and you want guys to know they can earn a spot.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe thats why they wanted to move the team to Abby, to work on that.

I'm not sure its quite this dire, i mean a lot of our guys made the jump to the NHL or developed in college. Not sure thats a failing of our farm as much as it is quality of picks and how good college is as an option now.

What I don't like is losing two F prospects, in Lind and Gadj's so close together.

Some of it certainly has to do with the fact we've made a lot of picks outside of the CHL, but still, not one? That's 7 years worth of AHL rosters under Benning that have failed to produce a single NHL skater. Surely the law of averages dictates that something is fishy.

Again, what makes this sting that much more is the fact that it looked like Gadj was actually developing, which could have made this the first real win for our farm, only for us to lose him for nothing.

With losing him and Lind so close together, it also pretty much ensures that we'll have to overspend in free agency or scour the waiver wire to fill out our 3rd and 4th lines in the coming years.

I wonder if Gadjovich can't crack their roster, they'll have to send him down.  In which case, he'd be exposed to waivers.  So, in theory, we could claim him back.  I wonder where we are in relation to claim order?  I'm not fully convinced Gadjovich is ready for a full time nhl roster spot... Not even the Sharks.  

Though I'm bummed by this and wish he'd made it through waivers... He was close to making the team.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I know a couple of players did say that. That’s still a pretty small sample to extrapolate out.

My only point is that you are railing against people having an opinion and presenting it as fact but you are in fact doing the exact same thing from the opposite side of the argument.

I'm only railing against people who lack the humility required to realize that their opinions are utterly worthless when compared to those of the actual paid professionals. 

18 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And yet there has been no discernible evidence that Green or Baumgartner have fundamentally changed anything in their approach to systems or deployment. 

I see absolutely no Shaw impact based on his previous track record.

maybe the conclusion you should draw from that is that shaw, the defensíve guru, has yet to find these so-called fundamental flaws in the system that need to be repaired?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Some of it certainly has to do with the fact we've made a lot of picks outside of the CHL, but still, not one? That's 7 years worth of AHL rosters under Benning that have failed to produce a single NHL skater. Surely the law of averages dictates that something is fishy.

Again, what makes this sting that much more is the fact that it looked like Gadj was actually developing, which could have made this the first real win for our farm, only for us to lose him for nothing.

With losing him and Lind so close together, it also pretty much ensures that we'll have to overspend in free agency or scour the waiver wire to fill out our 3rd and 4th lines in the coming years.

It's less to do with Benning & more to do with our Canadian scouts have always been 'iffy' going back decades.  Our European & American scouts have more than pulled their weight. 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

yeah that does seem a bit odd. I suppose Klimovich will likely be the 1st major one? I sure hope so.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

yeah I'm not too pleased either. I'd sure like to know the reason.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I really liked Gadjovich.  I think he still has the potential to be a good contributor to a 3rd line in the NHL.  However, I will say that it is potential.  I do not think he is ready right now.  The waiver wire was set up to ensure that teams don't just bury guys in the minors for their own ends and ruin a guys career.  After a few years they are no longer exempt and if the team doesn't want to give them a spot, they get a chance to see if someone else will.  I don't see how this is bad asset management.  He had to earn a spot, with Motte and Sutter out, there is more chance than there would have been.  He didn't do that.  He is waiver eligible.  I do not understand all the venom on here.  I am disappointed, but the waiver wire is set up for potential disappointment.  Jonah Gadjovich, from how he had showed in 3-4 years in the organization, is not going to be a difference maker.  

Neither are Highmore, Di Giuseppe, Petan, MacEwen, Dowling or Chiasson. They are all fringe NHL’ers battling it out to get a 4th line spot.  

The one thing Gadjovich has over all those guys is a willingness to go to the front of the net and get the dirty and cheap goals that win you hockey games. Not a lot of guys in the NHL are willing to do that. We had a guy willing to do that and looking good doing it and let him go. That’s not good. 

I’m hoping this was Green’s decision because if it comes back to bite us in the a** then at least we know who to fire. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

according only to fan narratives and assumptions, not anything we've actually heard from people who would know. 

And to counter you (playing devils advocate here) by your own comments you also don’t know if that’s exactly why he was hired. 

So why is anybody commenting? Why does the team offer a message board?Because it’s fun to speculate, to discuss,  analyze or to opine…none of that demands fact but if you want people to speak factually or risk you cutting down their perspective, especially when it comes to the position you’re taking/arguing against, then at what point are you being hypocritical?

You’re also just a fan on a message board.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe? but there's no real chance of sneaking anyone anymore, the scouting is too good. SJ probably takes Gadj's no matter what day we put him on waivers.

I don't necessarily agree but I guess it could be this:

Needed for PK: Highmore, Chaisson, Petan, Dowling

Needed for possible 4c: Petan, Dowling, Focht, Dries

Needed for toughness: Mac

And Lockwood has just been showing too well and you want guys to know they can earn a spot.

Gadj was pretty much on pace for a pt a game in the AHL as a young prospect

Yeah this makes me mad!  LOL

Ofcourse he would get taken.

The same pundits who said he would clear waivers are the same ones that are now critisizing his play...

On another note, if I was a SJ fan and came on this forum, I'd be smiling ear to ear...

Don't be too dissapointed SJ Fan, he's not an all star (yet) LOL

We are just really passionate fans

• Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Well who else are your planning to have games instead with Motte out?  Chiasson?  Highmore?   Ugh.  

you could do a lot worse that Chiasson on a cheapie 1 year deal for bottom 6 depth, but with him not being signed yet I don't know that he really factored into this decision.

I'd rather have risked Highmore than Gadjs tho.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Neither are Highmore, Di Giuseppe, Petan, MacEwen, Dowling or Chiasson. They are all fringe NHL’ers battling it out to get a 4th line spot.  

The one thing Gadjovich has over all those guys is a willingness to go to the front of the net and get the dirty and cheap goals that win you hockey games. Not a lot of guys in the NHL are willing to do that. We had a guy willing to do that and looking good doing it and let him go. That’s not good. 

I’m hoping this was Green’s decision because if it comes back to bite us in the a** then at least we know who to fire. 

and when it doesn't come back to bite us, everyone who raged about it in this thread should fire themselves from cdc. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm thinking the idea was keeping both Rathbone & OJ up (keeping an extra defenseman up).  Tough to knock that considering the unknown status of Harmonic.

Yes one extra forward and 2 Dmen is how we usually roll I’m saying if Gadj wasn’t going to kill penalties etc. Why not have him as the extra forward. I don’t know. It seems like such a waste of time, effort and development 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yep.  And i've supported him.   This to me is just a total BS move.  Tried to hide him because our D sucks (ok maybe not but it is an issue) and can't decide who to keep doesn't matter.   Always keep the BPA - then you can make a trade later. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1