The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disturbing twist in Metro Vancouver gang war: Rivals post rap songs advocating murder

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I've lived in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island), Vancouver, Portland Oregon, Pocatello Idaho, Seoul, Lethbridge Alberta, Toronto, Shanghai, and Beijing. 

Guess which is the ONE city where I felt either "weirded out" at times and felt a little unsafe?

I really don't get Vancouver at times.  While we poke fun at Alberta for being a bunch of Texas wannabes, and Toronto for being a bunch of New York wannabes, what are we trying to be exactly? Chicago?  Detroit?  Also - why do you say that "an overwhelming majority of them act this way because there is no choice."  How is this "choice", or lack thereof, different from the apparent lack of choices that citizens in other Canadian cities face?  We can mock Calgary all we want but we don't see anywhere near this type of stuff in those cities.  Is it a multicultural issue?  Because we don't see this stuff much in Toronto.  So what gives? 

This 100%.

As much as Vancouver is beautiful, it's always been a "late to the party" trend following city. I feel like it's a city that needs to find its own culture and identity. Is it just mountains and trees or can it offer something more? There is so much potential but all the cultural communities here seem so segregated.

Don't get me wrong, I love this city and the beauty of it but I don't like the mindset of some of the people that reside in this city.

Calling out others for being "wannabes" (take a good look at yourself before saying that) or the unnecessary hatred towards Toronto and having that "too cool for school" mentality. 

Hate to break it but truth is, no one outside Vancouver really gives a crap about it. 

As someone who has lived in other major cities myself, I noticed that a lot of people in this city are uniquely more anti-social and pretentious than the others I've lived in. Quietly passive-aggressive. 

Yes. Even more-so than people in LA (where I lived for most of my life) or New York where I lived a couple years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The only firearm a citizen should be able to own is a hunting rifle.  If a person is seen with a gun that is not a hunting rifle they should be locked up.  Very simple.  Commit a crime with a firearm, and it’s a minimum 20 years.  We are too soft with our gun control, and punishment for violent (.firearm related) crimes.  

Total BS.

Gun control does nothing to stop criminals. We already have some of the strictest gun control measures. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, beni said:

Total BS.

Gun control does nothing to stop criminals. We already have some of the strictest gun control measures. 

And because of our restrictions (.which should be more) we have less shootings in a year than US cities like Chicago has in a long weekend. 

What exactly does a citizen need a hand gun for?  Hunting rifle, okay, but hand guns?  

Edited by Alflives
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Rubik said:

what's the problem as long as they take out each other? if that's the life they want to lead, have a blast folks.

spacer.png

The reason we don’t hear more about gun gangs or murders in Canada is very simple. The gun laws are doing their job. Or would some rather be the US?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/03/24/980838151/gun-violence-deaths-how-the-u-s-compares-to-the-rest-of-the-world

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-ownership-by-country

USA:

120.5 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

3.96 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

Canada:

34.7 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

0.47 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

United Kingdom (even stricter gun laws):

4.6 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

.04 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

Not only does the number of guns in society correlate to the lower death rate like one would expect, but it decreases the number of deaths even further then that.

The reason these laws work as intended in Canada is because when someone gets into a bad situation of their doing or someone else’s doing there isn’t an easy option to get a gun and take revenge. Most murders are created by negative emotions in a person whether real or imagined and having access to a weapon in those situations makes killing someone more likely.

Waiting days or weeks until purchasing a gun diminishes the strength of these negative emotions and makes it less likely a murder occurs. Making sure gun owners go through proper training lessens the chance of an accidental death. Having firearms be licensed and registered means people who own them are less likely to commit murder knowing they’re in the system. Not having access to guns when depressed makes it more likely a suicidal attempt fails and the person can start getting the help they need.

Yes it’s an extra burden on those who want to be/are responsible with their guns, but so is getting a drivers license for those who are driving instructors. Every law in history has put some burden on those who are doing everything right because it’s impossible to determine who is and is not going to abide by the law so it’s better in the interest of the public to make all laws applicable to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The reason we don’t hear more about gun gangs or murders in Canada is very simple. The gun laws are doing their job. Or would some rather be the US?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/03/24/980838151/gun-violence-deaths-how-the-u-s-compares-to-the-rest-of-the-world

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-ownership-by-country

USA:

120.5 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

3.96 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

Canada:

34.7 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

0.47 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

United Kingdom (even stricter gun laws):

4.6 firearms per 100,000 people in 2021

.04 deaths per 100,000 people in 2019

Not only does the number of guns in society correlate to the lower death rate like one would expect, but it decreases the number of deaths even further then that.

The reason these laws work as intended in Canada is because when someone gets into a bad situation of their doing or someone else’s doing there isn’t an easy option to get a gun and take revenge. Most murders are created by negative emotions in a person whether real or imagined and having access to a weapon in those situations makes killing someone more likely.

Waiting days or weeks until purchasing a gun diminishes the strength of these negative emotions and makes it less likely a murder occurs. Making sure gun owners go through proper training lessens the chance of an accidental death. Having firearms be licensed and registered means people who own them are less likely to commit murder knowing they’re in the system. Not having access to guns when depressed makes it more likely a suicidal attempt fails and the person can start getting the help they need.

Yes it’s an extra burden on those who want to be/are responsible with their guns, but so is getting a drivers license for those who are driving instructors. Every law in history has put some burden on those who are doing everything right because it’s impossible to determine who is and is not going to abide by the law so it’s better in the interest of the public to make all laws applicable to everyone.

One problem is. It was already working compared to the States.

We are already licence firearms owners. Restricted firearms are registered.

The recent changes aren't going to make you or me any safer.

As I stated. The nutbar in Nova Scotia didn't have a licence, none of his firearms (if they were restricted) were registered. Nor obtained legally.

And family and friends bought him ammo from out of province, or from the US.

Basically all this was illegal with our previous laws. And no one is giving law enforcement in Canada the tools to curb firearms smuggling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I've lived in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island), Vancouver, Portland Oregon, Pocatello Idaho, Seoul, Lethbridge Alberta, Toronto, Shanghai, and Beijing. 

Guess which is the ONE city where I felt either "weirded out" at times and felt a little unsafe?

I really don't get Vancouver at times.  While we poke fun at Alberta for being a bunch of Texas wannabes, and Toronto for being a bunch of New York wannabes, what are we trying to be exactly? Chicago?  Detroit?  Also - why do you say that "an overwhelming majority of them act this way because there is no choice."  How is this "choice", or lack thereof, different from the apparent lack of choices that citizens in other Canadian cities face?  We can mock Calgary all we want but we don't see anywhere near this type of stuff in those cities.  Is it a multicultural issue?  Because we don't see this stuff much in Toronto.  So what gives? 

I live in the U.S, so my comment about not having choice was in regards to inner cities  down here.

Not sure why anyone living in Vancouver would want to embrace this.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

And because of our restrictions (.which should be more) we have less shootings in a year than US cities like Chicago has in a long weekend. 

What exactly does a citizen need a hand gun for?  Hunting rifle, okay, but hand guns?  

I listed all the reasons to you in an other thread. You had no response. Legal firearms owners commit less crime than non legal firearms owners. If you don't like guns don't buy one keep your ignorant opinions to yourself

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, CBH1926 said:

Saw this story while back, folks trying to mimic U.S inner cities.
I can’t help but notice that so many wannabe gangsters in Vancouver area come from well to do families.

Not to defend our thugs but overwhelming majority of them act this way because their is no choice.

Strange phenomenon indeed!

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/disturbing-twist-in-gang-war-rivals-post-rap-songs-advocating-murder

No choice but to act like an inbred thug? Haha give me a break. These losers choose that lifestyle. Every time one of these idiots gets shot by another one of these idiots I smile.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Alflives said:

The only firearm a citizen should be able to own is a hunting rifle.  If a person is seen with a gun that is not a hunting rifle they should be locked up.  Very simple.  Commit a crime with a firearm, and it’s a minimum 20 years.  We are too soft with our gun control, and punishment for violent (.firearm related) crimes.  

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have read.

Gun crime in Canada is not committed by law abiding firearms owners with legal firearms. Gun crime is committed by gang bangers that have procured illegal firearms from the states. The fact anyone believes trudeau and the crap he spews, that you regurgitated above, is pathetic. You should educate yourself on gun crime in Canada.

The only thing you got correct above is our judges are too soft on criminals....all criminals. 

On 10/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, Alflives said:

We all had guns on the farm.  Loved my lever action 30-30.  Mrs Alf preferred her break action 22.  Times change, and we need to evolve with them.     But really, other than hunters and farmers (police) who needs a firearm, especially hand guns?  

You didn't even address his point. Law abiding hand gun owners with legal hand guns that shoot paper targets are not the cause of gun crime in Canada. How about going after the criminals rather than law abiding citizens. 

3 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have read.

Gun crime in Canada is not committed by law abiding firearms owners with legal firearms. Gun crime is committed by gang bangers that have procured illegal firearms from the states. The fact anyone believes trudeau and the crap he spews, that you regurgitated above, is pathetic. You should educate yourself on gun crime in Canada.

The only thing you got correct above is our judges are too soft on criminals....all criminals. 

OK so as (I'm assuming) a law abiding gun owner, what would you suggest could work to lower gun crime? the lobby tends to buck anything suggested so far, so give me a for instance that you think could work.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

No choice but to act like an inbred thug? Haha give me a break. These losers choose that lifestyle. Every time one of these idiots gets shot by another one of these idiots I smile.

Edit: I just saw you said you were referring to inner cities in the US. I agree that many disadvantaged folks down there get pushed into it. Our "thugs" in Vancouver are just a bunch of morons that want to act tough and do nothing worthwhile in life.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

OK so as (I'm assuming) a law abiding gun owner, what would you suggest could work to lower gun crime? the lobby tends to buck anything suggested so far, so give me a for instance that you think could work.

Take the 10 billion dollars that dummy trudeau is going to use to buy back guns from law abiding citizens and give it to law enforcement to root out the constant illegal gun trade from guns coming up from the USA into the hands of criminals in Canada. That would be a start.

5 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Take the 10 billion dollars that dummy trudeau is going to use to buy back guns from law abiding citizens and give it to law enforcement to root out the constant illegal gun trade from guns coming up from the USA into the hands of criminals in Canada. That would be a start.

I read it was more like 400 million. But OK.

But what specifically can they do? smuggling is so hard to police, its not possible e.g., to check every shipping container or police every piece of land (much of it private) on the border where exchanges can easily take place. We just may not have the manpower for that.

So if we can't stop assault (real or look alikes) weapons from coming in from the US, then what choice is there but to put more bans on them so we can have even more charges to bring on the gang creeps?

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I read it was more like 400 million. But OK.

But what specifically can they do? smuggling is so hard to police, its not possible e.g., to check every shipping container or police every piece of land (much of it private) on the border where exchanges can easily take place. We just may not have the manpower for that.

So if we can't stop assault (real or look alikes) weapons from coming in from the US, then what choice is there but to put more bans on them so we can have even more charges to bring on the gang creeps?

There was a show on last week called gun ban Canada exposed. They had a ex gang banger on and he laughed at Trudeau's attack on legal firearms owners. He said almost all gang members get illegal firearms smuggled across the st Lawrence into reserves. Good luck policing that.

3 hours ago, Mossberg said:

There was a show on last week called gun ban Canada exposed. They had a ex gang banger on and he laughed at Trudeau's attack on legal firearms owners. He said almost all gang members get illegal firearms smuggled across the st Lawrence into reserves. Good luck policing that.

ugh. 

So what's the right thing to do then?

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

ugh. 

So what's the right thing to do then?

I'm not really sure. Carding worked pretty good in Toronto before mayor Tory scrapped it. One of the first things Trudeau did was get rid of mandatory minimum for gun crimes. Weak judges letting gang members out on bail, even for murder. 

We have to have more enforcement on the entry points of smuggled goods, stiffer sentences and actually keep them in jail we they are convicted, even if it offends some people.  Maybe spend some money on programs run by ex gang bangers trying to convince people the problems and consiquences of gang life.

I don't know how to stop gang violence but what I do know is spending billions of dollars attacking law abiding guns owners (who statistically commit  crimes 1/3 as much as ordinary people) is not gonna make canadians any safer. Just a waste of money that we don't have. I doubt Justin even thinks it will slow gun crime he just knows it will get him votes from people in the big cities who don't like guns and don't know much about them.

PS Jimmy I really don't think it's gonna cost 400 million like they said. Depends what they "buy back" it could be billions.  Remember the long gun registry was supposed to cost 2 million and that turned into over 2 billion if I recall correctly