The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19th, 2021 | SNP, 4:00PM PT

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Kubrick said:

Are there any decent coaches available at the moment? No one is coming to mind. 

love to have Malholtra and Burrows behind the bench though.

They had their chances in offseason but they decided to stick with the same coaching staff that has made us the team with the highest losses league wide in 5 years or so

Just now, runtzguy said:

Though it is still early. If we don't make the playoffs this year, Benning has to be fired.

I think Green will be the fall guy, but if his legit next guy founders that's likely it 

Anyone with legit NHL coaching experience could probs do better than Green and Baumer right now 

5 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Bah... I should have taken my son to Hockey practice...but I got my wife to to take him tonight so I could catch the game. The Office Reaction GIF

Now I gotta cook dinner...

just make some spaghetti...easiest dinner to make

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The only game we've actually looked good was against Detroit, Philly had a shaky goaltender and Edmonton let up

Buffalo made us look like amateurs 

The one thing I notice about this team under Green is that they NEVER get up for the games they should win and only seemed to be ready to play a high caliber game when it’s against tougher competition. Underdog mentality that is inconsistent and costs us a lot of points.

6 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Bah... I should have taken my son to Hockey practice...but I got my wife to to take him tonight so I could catch the game. The Office Reaction GIF

I took my second of 3 personal days off work because I knew I wouldn't get home in time to catch the game.  My car's in the shop and it was iffy on how I'd get home so.

I may need another personal day to recover from this one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, -Moose said:

I'd welcome a coaching change with open arms, but Canucks just had an off night. I wouldn't read too much into this loss. If it becomes a regular thing, then it's time to freak out, but the consolation prize is that Green will probably be gone if it becomes a regular thing

Umm 2 off nights, should have been 4 points in the bank

8 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I did the same thing except it was my daughters practice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Hard to argue when we had poor effort, poor execution and support and some of the worst special teams that I have seen. 
I am starting to lean this way too though wouldn’t get rid of the coach without sending out the guy that hired him. 

This was just a complete garbage effort but this really isn't on the coach. Hunt, Schenn were Chatfield level and that new top line had zero chemistry.  Brock  was rusty but Hogs and Petey don't look great together.

I know people are gonna be out for blood tonight but hopefully this dgroup never is iced again man it was bad compared to the first 3 games.

The pp needs to be completely redone and in that case the coaches are at fault.

Win the next 2 and its still a good road trip. 

6 minutes ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

Defence is poor and the defensive system has been poor for as long as Green has been in charge but wasn’t the forward group supposed to provide more goals? 2 goals won’t win many games. 

The offensive system and PP has been poor too. They need to start Garland, with Hoglander, OEL and Rathbone as 1st PP for a few games.Those guys move the puck and their bodies instead of standing still and passing pucks which has been proven ineffective time and time again.

1 minute ago, -Moose said:

I'd welcome a coaching change with open arms, but Canucks just had an off night. I wouldn't read too much into this loss. If it becomes a regular thing, then it's time to freak out, but the consolation prize is that Green will probably be gone if it becomes a regular thing

?

What Canucks have you been watching since Green has been here? Everything that happened tonight has been a regular thing for YEARS.

The main thing being the absolutely atrocious defensive zone play. Constantly guys get left completely wide open in dangerous spots, see goal #4, among the countless times it happened that didn't lead to a goal against. Go look at 30 seconds into the third period. The Sabres got a mini 2 on 1 down low because the Canucks just left a player completely alone in the middle of the defensive zone. Constant breakdowns. It felt like every time the Sabres had clean possession in our defensive zone, the Canucks completely broke down and could not handle it. A team that isn't exactly full of offensive stars. They don't have their top 6 centres from last season and had absolutely no problem completely and utterly dominating this team in the D zone. 

The awful special teams. The PK just gives their players all the time and space in the world. Olofsson on their powerplay, in the exact position Petey plays on our PP, consistently, over and over again, got to walk right into the slot and rip a shot. And they let it happen. They quite literally, let it happen. Meanwhile, if that was our PP, there's a defender instantly all over Petey. He will never be allowed to just walk in and shoot even once, let alone the several times the Canucks PK just let Olofsson do. 

Everything about the coaching this team receives is absolutely backwards, and all of what happened tonight has been happening for years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The one thing I notice about this team under Green is that they NEVER get up for the games they should win and only seemed to be ready to play a high caliber game when it’s against tougher competition. Underdog mentality that is inconsistent and costs us a lot of points.

Def agree, it's ridiculous 

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

This was just a complete garbage effort but this really isn't on the coach. Hunt, Schenn were Chatfield level and that new top line had zero chemistry.  Brock  was rusty but Hogs and Petey don't look great together.

I know people are gonna be out for blood tonight but hopefully this dgroup never is iced again man it was bad compared to the first 3 games.

The pp needs to be completely redone and in that case the coaches are at fault.

Win the next 2 and its still a good road trip. 

Hunt and Schenn can clear waivers easily. Not sure why Benning couldnt pick better D off the waivers.

• Like 1

On paper, this team should be better than what they have shown.  The D is a bit weak and it shows.

Special teams suck.  That's on Green and Co.

Look at BUF PK unit.  They pressured the puck carrier from Canucks blueline.  The passive crap has got to go.

It's like we need a sparkplug on every line and guys willing to muck it up once in awhile.