The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Petey looks really off. Feels like he needs a good sports psychologist. 

The team wasn't awful last night. First half of the game sucked but as they got to the third they had caught up in shots and were really outhitting a good opposition, 

Weird that a lot of the fans were more concerned about toughness before the season when that has shown not to be our weakness so far. Schenn won his fight against the visor grabber and as I mentioned hits, hits, hits. 

We are weak in our production from our top goal scorers. Nobody was predicting that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, OEL, Bo, Miller, Garland, and the grunts are getting it done.  Really we need Petey and Bess to play their best more often.  They will.  It’s early.  

this is where a coaching change can spark better play. I'm just looking bigger picture, no coach is irreplaceable and we've often seen how a change can spark a team. I'm not going to get into the minutia about Green, but the bigger picture does tell a story - another year not properly prepared, another bad start, even with better talent.

So lets try it. Worst that can happen is more of the same.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I love him and know he is top shelf but last night he really looked nervous and clumsy. 

he did, but he needs to play himself out of it. He's missed a lot of time and last year was a &^@#ed season to begin with. All of the amateur psychologists who seem to know whats in his head crack me up tho (not pointing that comment at you btw).

Edited by JM_
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he did, but he needs to play himself out of it. He's missed a lot of time and last year was a &^@#ed season to begin with. All of the amateur psychologists who seem to know whats in his head crack me up tho.

Hey, I have given myself multiple amateur degrees including psychology!

I hope he is working with someone, I imagine most pros do these days. This is a high pressure market and he has a lot on his shoulders. 

There is far more impatience this year. I remember back in the day, nobody would moan until 20 games in, announcers would often mention the rust on various team and players.

That is not the case anymore. Folks had their pitchforks out before we even got started.

i can even give Green more time. As I mentioned we were playing well by the end of the game. If we could have gotten a point out of that game, after out hitting them by so much, maybe the rhetoric would be different this morn

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I actually think BB is playing well. He's had some quality chances, just hasn't hit the back of the net on them.
Agreed that Petey looks really clumsy out there. I have no doubt he'll be ok.

Defense looked pretty good last night after the 1st.

Overall, I think we have a serious puck control issue. A lot of turnovers in both ends. Not being able to set up in the offensive end. Not being able to clear in our own end. Reluctancy to shoot the puck or too busy looking for the perfect pass to shoot... I've found myself yelling "SHOOT THE PUCK!" too many times this season.

3 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Look at the passing it, it’s mostly down low, greens system is all up high to the point often leading to odd man rushes 

is it green's system or is it a group of players without confidence, unwilling to pay the price in the tough areas?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

macewan was on the ice with 3 minutes left AV knows how to build up players green only knows how to bench them even when they play well. 

two of the three guys we kept over him are now injured and the other one is totally useless. 

all macewen is good for is getting his face punched. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

Petey plays a perimeter game. Think of Jiri Hudler, or Alex Semin.

Whenever Petey gets the puck, he slows down just at the top of the face off circle and starts to shrivel up. He loses the puck either by fumbling it or his poor balance. 

He needs to find new ways to score. He’s too predictable. His skating is what’s really holding him back. He’s not a good skater at all. He’s fast in a straight line, and he’s agile enough, but his edge work and his backwards skating is just brutal. He needs some of that Bo Horvat power skating.

Edited by Odd.

45 minutes ago, combover said:

They’re  not getting it done but why. 
Do You think they all just forgot how to play?they all just aren’t trying? 

They got together and said we shouldn’t  play hard this season?

Or 

is it the system that doesn’t cater to the strengths of the players a system that seems to suck any creativity out of the players.

There’s seems to be no chemistry on ANY line 

did you see Phillies power play they didn’t pass it around the perimeter looking for a one timer from one player it looked fun to play thats another thing there’s seems to be none of with Travis none of our players look like they are having fun it looks like no fun hockey and the results are no fun to watch. 

So the players aren’t buying in or the system is trash either way it’s on the coach.

this isn’t a new problem here green hasn’t been a good coach and his winning% is closing in on willies with a far better lineup.

the excuses have all been used up.

it’s results time  for JB and Green 

How about we take your concept about how a team should be ran and run it past Barry Trotz? Would I prefer Trotz over Green? Damn right I would. Wow! I would prefer a coach is runs one of the most disciplined teams in the NHL? Sorry no buy in your gone. 

Canucks could have won last nights game and the game before. The issue is execution. Some of that is on coaching but most is on the players. 

2 hours ago, whcanuck said:

I just feel like my team is a laughingstock, like something to be ashamed of. Most of the other Canadian teams seem to have past Stanley Cup wins to reminisce about. What do the Canucks have? A couple of devastating 7th game losses with 0 Cups and 2 riots? Not even 1 1st overall draft choice in 50 years? Sometimes I really wonder “what’s the point?” It’s been really tough to be a fan of this team the past 8-10 years

Lol.  I'm guessing your part of the group who grew up with nothing but winning during the WCE and Sedin era?   Yes this sucks.   But it's also part of the 32 team cap era as well.     The carrot is pretty much any team can win a cup if they get in and get on a roll, or at least make the final.   The pitfall is that's what it takes these days to be relevant again.   Oilers aren't an outlier and used often enough ... under JB we've made the show twice ... that's as many times EDM made them including McDavis first crack since they went to the final.   CAR missed 9 in a row...look at them now.   Buffalo.   Detroit is our best comp as our cycles are virtually aligned.