The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why Miller and Chiasson are on PP1 and Boeser is on PP2 I don’t know. Even EP shouldn’t be on PP1 at this point. At least Boeser is shooting the puck.

Why is Hunt anywhere near a powerplay? Jason King is lost in space.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Placeholder for OEL. Seems like an indication it’s a maintenance day not an injury.

I remember Quinn Hughes and Brock Boeser also had a maintenance day earlier this season. I hope OEL is playing tmr night, Brad Hunt just isn't very good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

Edmonton has 10 draft picks playing in the NHL from the 2014 draft. Now show me another GM with a win-loss record as poor as Benning's that hasn't been fired. I'll wait...

Edmonton only currently has 8.  One player is on LTIR, another player got sent down to the AHL and a 3rd player is their emergency backup goalie who will be sent down to the AHL once Smith is healthy.  Nice try though.

46 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

Dont know man but he won two president's cups, GM of the year and one game away from the cup.  He went all in and jeopardized our future, couldn't draft worth a damn but again he was one game away from all of that being forgotten.

His attitude is trash and it can affect a team.  If you're surrounded by negative people it will have a negative impact.  He quit last year, he barely tried 

I hope you're right and I hope he puts his head down and works hard every night, without the antics.

I actually liked Gillis, he did some really good things.  But in all fairness he was handed a very good core that he didn't really touch and went out and got some pieces to push us to the brink of a Cup.  Too bad it didn't work out.  It's very interesting though that nobody else ever hired him after he was fired.  There must be something we don't know.  But man he was horrific as a drafter.  Maggie the Monkey would have been a huge upgrade on Gillis in the draft room.

As for Miller, he does have an attitude problem.  But right now he is playing better than most of the other guys.  It's hard when you have an AHL coach who doesn't know what he is doing.  I'm sure the players are frustrated because of that.  Miller just shows that frustration more than the other players.  I don't think Miller will be part of our long term core to be honest.  I think he may be used as a piece to get a young right hand Dman.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edmonton only currently has 8.  One player is on LTIR, another player got sent down to the AHL and a 3rd player is their emergency backup goalie who will be sent down to the AHL once Smith is healthy.  Nice try though.

Even if you don’t include Skinner theres still 9 players that have played NHL games this year: McDavid, Drai, Pulijarvi, Bouchard, Yammamoto, Marino, Bear, Benson, McLeod. Jones will be back at some point this year. Holloway and Broberg might get some games in this year as well. Rathbone just got sent down, does that mean we subtract one from JB’s total? 

Still waiting for you to come back with the list of GM’s with a comparable win-loss record as JB. 

2 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

Even if you don’t include Skinner theres still 9 players that have played NHL games this year: McDavid, Drai, Pulijarvi, Bouchard, Yammamoto, Marino, Bear, Benson, McLeod. Jones will be back at some point this year. Holloway and Broberg might get some games in this year as well. Rathbone just got sent down, does that mean we subtract one from JB’s total? 

Still waiting for you to come back with the list of GM’s with a comparable win-loss record as JB. 

Okay so it's even 9-9.  I'll take that given the fact that Edmonton has had multiple top 3 picks over the years.  I don't know of any other teams including the Stanley Cup champs so Benning is in elite company if you can only find one other team.  Wouldn't you say that his drafting has been pretty good if Edmonton is the only team that can even match his record?

As for GM's with comparable records as Benning, Pierre Dorion and Rob Blake haven't been around as long but their records have been absolutely brutal these last few years, worse than Benning.  LA and Ottawa are both in rebuild mode so they won't be getting better anytime soon either.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Okay so it's even 9-9.  I'll take that given the fact that Edmonton has had multiple top 3 picks over the years.  I don't know of any other teams including the Stanley Cup champs so Benning is in elite company if you can only find one other team.  Wouldn't you say that his drafting has been pretty good if Edmonton is the only team that can even match his record?

As for GM's with comparable records as Benning, Pierre Dorion and Rob Blake haven't been around as long but their records have been absolutely brutal these last few years, worse than Benning.  LA and Ottawa are both in rebuild mode so they won't be getting better anytime soon either.

How many GM’s have had 8 consecutive years of mostly failure while being a cap maxed team that have not been fired? I can’t think of a recent GM who has produced less for so long that stayed as long as Benning has.

Drafting high is a byproduct of losing though. Benning has been good, basically taking consensus picks in those high spots other than his early misses. His later drafting has been ok too. But he has given up on many of those guys already for next to nothing in return so were they really the home runs people continue to point to for support of their theory Benning is some legendary draft guru?

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

St Louis also has 9 or 10 NHL players since 2014, and they did it without a pick inside the top 20 and won a cup. Edmonton was just the first team I thought of, i'm sure there are more that are at least comparable (maybe 7 or 8 NHL players). 

Unfortunately, drafting alone is not enough to be a good GM, as you can see when you're in the same company as Pierre Dorion. 

3 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Greens emphasis on playing a safe defensive game reminds me of when AV started coaching the Canucks - back

when the Sedins began to shoulder the weight and had yet to break into their greatness - in the first years of Luongos tenure -

but we were a better team back then and played with much more cohesion.  
But we did count on Luongo to win games which we did usually by one goal low scoring affairs.

I recall Naslund in his final year looking disinterested saying that the team is no longer a run and gun team - it’s about defence and playing safe.

AV said at that time that the Canucks didn’t have the talent to play a run and gun game 

I think Green thinks the players he has don’t have the talent to play a possession or run and gun game.

He doesn’t want to risk it. 
we gave up a lot of goals last year.

but in correcting that he has swung too far the other way. 
This team is playing too conservative there is no room for creativity. 
The talent be being wasted.

its time for a fresh approach this defensive system is killing us. 

Boeser and Petey are terrible when it comes to skating through into the Ozone.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:33 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

The problem is not the personnel.  It's that they're not working as a unit.  Passing's off because they seem to have to pass through other players too much.  There's little support for the puck.  Guys are going into the offensive end alone.  Guys are standing still receiving passes.  This team looks so completely disjointed.  Seeing this, I'm expecting Green's time is coming up.

Didn't actually hate the game last night - sure we didn't score til the end, but it felt like they were all kinda set free:

- Way more carry ins instead of dump & chasing
- Lotto line stayed together

Maybe with Hamonic back, Green will trust his forwards to be more aggressive. Also thinking our lines just need some time to gel together and figure out where their teammates are going to be.