The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Acquire a f*cking LD to help with the PK!

On that 2nd PP goal, I knew we were getting scored on the moment I saw Schenn and Myers together.

This loss is on the PK.

The last loss against the Flyers is on the PP.

Demko puts up a gem of a game, how many more of these games are we going to waste?

Special teams is costing us valuable points.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pointless to talk about it anymore.

Green is not going to change, so the team is not growing or adapting.

---

Meanwhile, it took a half of last season and training camp this year for Sutter to hammer his system into the slack a$$ed Lames... but they are now playing his system... whether you like Sutter or not, and he is a SoB/dirty coach, just like he was a player, but he does get his team's working together and gets them motivated and playing hard.

And Marky is now coming into his full maturity... all the work that Ian Clarke put into him is now a part of him and he has the confidence of a veteran goaltender.

Problem is…Green is no Sutter. Not anywhere close to the level of experience, the aura, and what we need the most out of the team, demanding of discipline.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

But no, we should of tore it all down, accumulated draft picks and young players, saved money on the cap and weaponize it to bring in even more young players/picks and that is when we can be told to be patient.

Instead we spent to the cap or close to every year, were told we would be competitive and were trying to make the playoffs, we traded more picks than we acquired, we let our free agents walk at the end of the year for nothing, we overpaid in free agency for guys like Sam Gagner, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Tim Schaller and Brandon Sutter and those are just off the top of my head.

We for whatever reason hung on to Loui E for 84% of his contract length while other teams almost always are able to rid of their overpaid garbage, we traded young assets for Erik Gudbranson, Linden Vey and Sven Baertschi, gave a previously concussed player a 4 year contract(take care Ferland I'm glad you got paid) we hired the worst NHL coach I've ever seen Willie Desjardins. Resigning Virtanen and letting Toffoli walk? Lol like who does that? No 2nd round picks in 2015 and 2016 

Edit: JB admittedly shopped for P.K Subban years ago

In 2018 we totally lucked out and got Quinn Hughes and nobody ever talks about this.  IMAGINE, just imagine if Detroit took Quinn Hughes, where would we be right now?  We are LUCKY to be as good as we are now...let that sink in.  

Would Canucks been better off weaponizing cap space in order to acquire draft picks given the fabulous draft record of Jim Benning? I think you should take a look at Canucks draft record (1st round picks that didn't pan out: Virtanen, Juolevi, 2nd round picks that didn't pan out: Lind, Gadjovich, third round picks that didn't pan out: Lockwood). Hey it's way better to get rid of these draft picks.

Even if Canucks would have missed out on Hughes in the 2018 draft, they would have gotten a great prospect. For example Filip Zadina or even better Oliver Wahlstrom who has already 4 goals this season. I was a huge fan of Wahlstrom because he had one of the best shots in this draft class.

In the end it all comes down to one decision made by Mr. Francesco Aquillini: he decided to part ways with Trevor Linden who supported a full rebuild (build slowly but steady). Instead Aquillini went with Jim Benning - the man who supported a fast rebuild by adding not only veteran players like Beagle, Roussel but also to trade away two first round picks to finalize this rebuild.

In hindsight it's obvious: Aquillini's decision to go with Jim Benning was the wrong choice.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I also don’t see Benning having the balls to go back to ownership asking for a new coach this early in the season after he convinced them to pony up the dough to re-sign Green.

Would be admitting yet another mistake that costs them millions.

The more I think about it the more I think it will come down to Benning getting the axe. And we’ll have to endure a long painful season before that happens.

Yup it'll probably be AQ calling JB to do it for it to happen. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Acquire a f*cking LD to help with the PK!

On that 2nd PP goal, I knew we were getting scored on the moment I saw Schenn and Myers together.

This loss is on the PK.

The last loss against the Flyers is on the PP.

Demko puts up a gem of a game, how many more of these games are we going to waste?

Special teams is costing us valuable points.

Edmonton's PP is one of the best PP's in the entire league with Mc David and Draisaitl. There will be more PK units of other NHL teams getting scored on with this fantastic PP of the Oilers.

Again: Canucks are one of the worst teams at even strength and on the PP. In this league it's very rare that you win games scoring only 1 goal in a game or even 2 goals in a game.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Tonight was the first night I actively chose to not watch the game despite having nothing really to do. Sort of felt like we were going to lose this game anyways and to be honest didn't really care either.

I love this team, will continue to til I die, but gotta say apathy has set in for me already. Not really sure I want to invest my time at the moment watching this team stumble around aimlessly. 

I get it, I was talking to my buddy the other day about a bad feeling I had about this game. We both watched it, it went about the way we both expected. 

I'm invested, I've been here for years, I'm here multiple times a day. But I'm having a hard time being optimistic about this team, and that sucks because I know we've got the pieces to be better than we've been. But it's the same mess every game, sometimes we just get a W. 

I hate losing, it feels like all we've really done is lose for years. That run we had was great, but we were lucky to even get in given how we stumbled down thr stretch. 

This team looks frustrated and disjointed. Passes to no one in the offensive zone, passes in front of the net in the defensive zone. The passive PK, the stationary pop gun powerplay. The usually giving up the first goal, the taking a period at least to wake up. The feeling that we're toast if we go down a couple goals. I hate it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Edmonton's PP is one of the best PP's in the entire league with Mc David and Draisaitl. There will be more PK units of other NHL teams getting scored on with this fantastic PP of the Oilers.

Again: Canucks are one of the worst teams at even strength and on the PP. In this league it's very rare that you win games scoring only 1 goal in a game or even 2 goals in a game.

Gave up 2 PP goals.

But yes, if you generate so few chances, you aren't going to score and you can't win in this league scoring 1 goal.

The whole f*king team sucked!

FIRE GREEN!!!!

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I also don’t see Benning having the balls to go back to ownership asking for a new coach this early in the season after he convinced them to pony up the dough to re-sign Green.

Would be admitting yet another mistake that costs them millions.

The more I think about it the more I think it will come down to Benning getting the axe. And we’ll have to endure a long painful season before that happens.

i mean it's also possible FA set an internal budget for coaches and it is what it is.. 

green is being paid 1mil per year on his contract or was on his previous i don't see him getting more than what he did on his current..

gerald gallant on the other hand is getting 3.5mil per year.. gerald's 4 year contract would be enough to pay for 14 years worth of green.. so maybe FA doesn't want to spend extra if he doesn't have to as long as he can squeeze into the playoff for the revenue winning or not don't matter.

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get it, I was talking to my buddy the other day about a bad feeling I had about this game. We both watched it, it went about the way we both expected. 

I'm invested, I've been here for years, I'm here multiple times a day. But I'm having a hard time being optimistic about this team, and that sucks because I know we've got the pieces to be better than we've been. But it's the same mess every game, sometimes we just get a W. 

I hate losing, it feels like all we've really done is lose for years. That run we had was great, but we were lucky to even get in given how we stumbled down thr stretch. 

This team looks frustrated and disjointed. Passes to no one in the offensive zone, passes in front of the net in the defensive zone. The passive PK, the stationary pop gun powerplay. The usually giving up the first goal, the taking a period at least to wake up. The feeling that we're toast if we go down a couple goals. I hate it.

What do you recommend to stop the bleeding?

Green has been using the same system that is so bad defensively and inability to score the first goal for a long time.  He is repeating the same system expecting the different result is a definition of insanity. Same combination, same method of training camp, same bag skates, same PP, same dump and chase which doesn't work at all.  I feel that the Canucks players doesn't learn a new system.   I wonder if JB insisting that system because it seemed a similar system that WD used to employ.  JB, prove us wrong with new coach with new system that fits in this current core.