The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I feel like some people either didn't watch the game and are just stat watching or are exclusively gauging Petey's play on the PP (where he admittedly looks pretty atrocious) while ignoring how he looked 5v5.

With this game in particular there's a huge discrepancy between how the team looked 5v5 vs on special teams, which tells me the biggest issue is coaching. 

I thought he had some good moments in the 3rd, but wasn't great the first 2.

On the PP he's basically made himself a non-threat to shoot, unfortunately.

Should move him off the PP1 & put Miller on that side. 

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How did they land on King as the guy to replace Brown…

Say what you want about Brown but at least he had a resume.

What’s the deal with management giving such important positions to guys with no experience? This one is 100% on Benning for approving an inexperienced coach (again). The results should be surprising nobody.

Are you asking for ...... a re-Newell? 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I was actually gonna make a thread about Hughes tomorrow. 

You ruined it. :(

Good thing I've got a backup thread idea! I was gonna create another thread discussing how poorly Petey is playing! 

You can continue with the Hughes thread.  We don't need a Petey playing poorly thread really...  :frantic:

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Need to get the Twins insight into the PP. Those guys knew how to move the puck around to create opportunities, exactly what we aren't doing now.

Gretzky couldn't teach what he just did on instinct, much like the Sedins

Being great player doesn't always transform to teaching

Skill can't be explained  nd taught at this level is the problem

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

Gretzky couldn't teach what he just did on instinct, much like the Sedins

Being great player doesn't always transform to teaching

Skill can't be explained  nd taught at this level is the problem

But they understand how a PP works. At worst they'll command more respect, even if it's the same message.

Unfortunately Canucks can’t work on special teams at practice cuz both PP and PK suck. Canucks practicing these against each orher is unrealistic as both aren’t up to NHL standards. Things that work in practice against horrible competition just doesn’t work against NHL teams.

Pettersson is his wrist ok, seriously? Wheres his wicked wristers. He just wants to pass it off. 

But the whole Canucks PP unit just wants too pass it off. 

• Cheers 1

So here’s a scenario:

You just got hired as a salesperson and in your first month you make absolutely no sales. Barely even make any calls.

Do you think you keep your job when that month is up?

Thats basically what they’re doing with King. Going 1 for 20 at home is completely pathetic with the personnel they have. There’s no excuse for it.

If Benning thinks he can just ride this out for the season he better start looking for another job now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought he had some good moments in the 3rd, but wasn't great the first 2.

On the PP he's basically made himself a non-threat to shoot, unfortunately.

Should move him off the PP1 & put Miller on that side. 

I noticed him in the first period. Got one nice chance immediately after a faceoff that went largely unnoticed. Also thought he was moving his feet a lot better. Was also causing some havoc in front of the net when Boes scored.

On the PP he looks completely lost though. I'm in agreement about taking him off the first unit.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

5v5 he looked fine. Got some good chances earlier in the game, drew a penalty, and generally looked far more engaged than he did earlier. He also did come good work in front of the net when Boeser scored his goal. 

Also, a lot of people here are overrating how Petey generally looks even when he's collecting points. Outside of his first season, he hasnt really been the type of player to completely take over a game or carry the play. Y'all got yourself fooled into thinking he's a different player than he is.

He looked fine? He did very little. He kept falling down and he kept giving away the puck AGAIN. He kept trying to break through 3 players and failed every time.

If he isn't putting up points he is not a useful NHL player unlike some that will at least hit or contribute in other ways.

For 7.5 million dollars he better get his chit together or he will have a short career. I am hopeful whatever awful period this is for him will end but not overly confident it will. His skinny and light body certainly does not help even though his first year he fought through it...he is not fighting through it now when other players actually know who he is and what he is about.

Nobody fooled themselves into anything. He is not contributing and certainly not for the money he is being paid.

4 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Are you asking for ...... a re-Newell? 

No I’m asking for any coach with actual NHL experience running offense.

Crawford? Boudreau? Kruger?

Start gauging the interest of these guys and whether they’d consider taking over as an assistant. Good chance of being head coach by the end of the season.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

You guys could blame Petey or Hughes all you want but I will not judge them until we get new coaches. I mean Petey and Hughes were fire in their first season until they got used to Green and stagnated.

No one has blamed Hughes. He is playing well. Petey sucks as does the coaching.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Yeah but .... he's like a diver, man. 

When you skate as fast as he does, and sticks get in the way it happens

That goal he scored tonight after being down 4-1 after 2 periods to tie it, If that had been a Canuck, it would be talked about till eternity in here

I have been watching Oilers lately, it is entertaining hockey to watch, like the late 70's were with entertaining hockey and rivalries

BTW

EP is a diver or faller ;)

• Cheers 1