The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Screenshot_20211106-003420_The Province.jpg

No Travis we shouldn’t give them credit for our guys shooting it at their shin pads because they’re not opening up shooting lanes. 

We’re trying different things that look exactly like the old things.

I said this before the game that it didn’t matter who you put on PP1 if you’re trying the same strategies. Sadly I was right.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Sorry but I'm calling bullsh*t.

-  Horvat showed he is a legitimate 60 point guy... and a terrific faceoff man

-  Boeser came within a whisker of winning the Calder and starred in the Allstar game

-  Pettersson won the Calder and was up there in the scoring race in his rookie campaign till he got injured

-  Hughes also nearly pulled off the Calder... and outscored most of the veteran D men in the league

-  Miller led the team in scoring in his first year here

What's wrong then?

What's wrong is how these players have been developed after their first year in Vancouver.

You would expect them to get better... but instead they all go downhill... they lose their creativity, they lose their confidence and they lose their scoring touch.

Why is that?  Why are all the team's best players in a rut?  What makes them all lose what made them so exciting?

Coaching.

You make good points, I do agree.

It's just mindboggling, how could any coach possibly tank a team so badly.  I mean I guess that's what you get when you hire career Ahl'ers to coach your team

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

It's allot more than his stick imo

No but it’s definitely contributing to his lack of confidence.

When you’re specialty is one timing rockets from the slot and you continually whiff on them or shoot them high that affects a player.

He starts gripping his stick a little tighter. Doesn’t try things he may have before. It’s all connected.

One thing I will say about his game though is that his two way game looks great. So at least unlike some other stars that struggle he is contributing in other ways.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Newell usually has success early in his tenures and then his systems start to get stale. That’s what happened here.

Replacing him with a rookie coach in King doesn’t prove anything other than that Aqua is being cheap with his coaches.

If it’s successful, then why would he want to change it, despite being stale? 

His system has always been successfully, in every team he has coached so far. 

8 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Screenshot_20211106-003353_The Province.jpg

Screenshot_20211106-003420_The Province.jpg

Translation:

"We as coaches haven't given up trying even though we think our players are lousy and the other teams players are better."

Green is a piece of crap.

Man I am so sick of his excuses for being lousy at his job.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'm tired of losing cause of our special teams. 

Last year we had a lot of expensive free agents who were good in the PK role... and we had a decent PK.

Benning dumped all those players and Green went with a bunch of AHLers and retreads from waivers.

So we now have a cr*p PK.

Funny how Green kept saying how the reason he went with the current 3/4 line group was because they were good PKers... because they are not living up to their billing.

---

Last year we had Newell Brown and his PP was better, but still not great.

Personally I think the PP coach is not the root of the problem... I think Green is involved. 

The PP is still showing very little originality or puck movement... it is still too dependent on the point shot.

It looks very similar to last year... I think Green has his stamp on it.

I'll repeat, Quinn Hughes is a +6 and leads the team.  Only Garland is even close at +5.  

Quinn Hughes  7 points  +6

Adam Fox  12 points  +5

The reason Hughes has less points is because we can't fu***n score on the PP.  If we had just 4-5 more goals on the PP Hughes would have identical stats to Adam Fox.

This is quite remarkable to see really.  Hughes can become a Norris trophy winner if he keeps this up.  What a tremendous transformation from just over 6 months ago.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If it’s successful, then why would he want to change it, despite being stale? 

His system has always been successfully, in every team he has coached so far. 

It gets stale because it gets predictable.

His powerplays have varying degrees of success. Like any coach they have a shelf life.

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Coaches get fired.  It is the natural order for teams that want to improve.

Roster is better this year.

Team's results are not.

Fire the coach.

Like the way things are going this team will be sub .500 at the 20 game mark.

How long can Benning continue to preach patience? How long can he continue to make excuses?

This team is spending beyond the salary cap, has a deeper level roster than it’s had in years, and is getting stellar goaltending.

Teams like LA that are in the middle of a rebuild are doing better than us for fs sake. The acceptance of mediocrity from top to bottom in this organization is very concerning.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Newell usually has success early in his tenures and then his systems start to get stale. That’s what happened here.

Replacing him with a rookie coach in King doesn’t prove anything other than that Aqua is being cheap with his coaches.

i dunno i'm watching anaheim vs arizona highlights.. anaheim's PP looks a lot different than ours.. like the guy on the side would rotate with the guy at the point.. and all 5 guys are shifting together constantly moving.. our PP OEL or Hughes is literally the only one that moves.. the rest of the team is standing still or miller would do the weird wind up from the point and skate towards the net. the anaheim PP with newell brown looks a lot different that the newell brown PP i've seen in vancouver.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Like the way things are going this team will be sub .500 at the 20 game mark.

How long can Benning continue to preach patience? How long can he continue to make excuses?

This team is spending beyond the salary cap, has a deeper level roster than it’s had in years, and is getting stellar goaltending.

Teams like LA that are in the middle of a rebuild are doing better than us for fs sake. The acceptance of mediocrity from top to bottom in this organization is very concerning.

The longer this goes on, the more likely he gets the axe alongside Green. 

If the season goes down the tubes and management's decided to let the string play out with Green as opposed to firing him and bringing someone else in to try and salvage the season, that's on management as much as it's on players and coaching staff. 

• Cheers 1

I would hope that Benning and aqua have a little sit down at the end of this home stand especially if we go 1-6.

If you don’t make a change early you’re basically telling fans that you accept another tank season.

I won’t be spending any money on tickets this season until they make a change. I hope other fans follow suit.

• Upvote 2