The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

We've had outstanding goaltending. And occasional displays of individual skill (both goals last night were). But every time the team has to rely on structure, it's nothing short of terrible. If we had even an average PP and PK we'd have twice as many wins.

If that game wasn't "Exhibit A" of why the coaching staff has to go, then Benning had to go too.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

We've had outstanding goaltending. And occasional displays of individual skill (both goals last night were). But every time the team has to rely on structure, it's nothing short of terrible. If we had even an average PP and PK we'd have twice as many wins.

If that game wasn't "Exhibit A" of why the coaching staff has to go, then Benning had to go too.

My take is fire Green by the end of next werk and replace him with someone who’s actually capable of coaching at the NHL level. And if that doesn’t work, then fire Benning and just clean house from there. 

22 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah I kind of expected this to be honest. In the predict the number of points thread. 

But what I didn't predict is how much the other members of the team would struggle scoring 

I didn’t either, but I knew what we were gonna get bringing back this same incompetent coaching staff. There’s far too much talent on this team to be this bad and like IMac was saying last night, if he knew OEL/Garland/Demko were gonna be our best players a month in he’d have expected a twice as good record than what we have. 

58 minutes ago, Pears said:

One didn’t miss training camp+preseason+only play like fifty games over the last two years like the other. 

One is a $7M player, the other is someone whose own parents wouldn't even recognize him. Time to cease with the excuses. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Only an NHL level coach like Green understands just how important two things are... 

#1) The power of the phrase "never give up". Sure, it's cliche but to apply it to our special teams is absolutely next level. It's bold, it's daring, and it will pay off. Green hasn't given up on our powerplay or penalty kill and neither should we. It's about the long game and sure, these systems might not be working now, but down the road when it really matters we are going to see where it really pays off. He's conserving the energy of all of these players now so that in games 70 or 76 or 82, after all that time not hustling these players will be fresh as daisies. Never give up. Don't change. Elite. National Hockey League. 

#2)The power of the shorthanded breakaway against. Most people see this play and think, "Wow, this team isn't executing" but they're so smooth-brained that they don't see the bigger picture. All game Demko stays in his crease. What does that mean? Again, conservation of energy. Why hustle? You're on the powerplay. That's Demko's time to earn his paycheck. Now here's where the genius really comes in... Remember everybody complaining about how our arena is silent? What better way to energize the boys than to have your own goaltender absolutely rob the other team on a breakaway on YOUR powerplay? That's big brain stuff. N.H.L.

Green has it figured out. We're just catching up. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

1. Tell Petey to take a postgame interview instead of protecting him

2. Put him on the PK and off the PP - can't get any worse

3. Throw him on the 4th line to grind it out 

Wake him up instead of coddling him

But but but...isn't he a Millennial???  

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Coop, books have been written about your couch. It is the couch to end all couches. Needless to say, we all want it. Foreign governments have ongoing plots to steal it. If you wake up one day and it's gone, it's because the CCP have it, or maybe Putin, or maybe even me with my with my crew of under-nourished, minimum-wages punks with our over-sized delivery van. Face it, you and your couch are not long for each other now. It's out of your control. Much like Travis and the hockey team he coaches. 

But life will go on for you, just ..... differently, without the luxury of a fine couch. It's a death and taxes kind of thing. Sorry it has to be this way.

They can have my couch when they pry it from my cold dead butt cheeks! 

From the second I lied eyes on it, I knew it was forever.   The couch and me, me and the couch.  We are one and I will defend it with my life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Is it really a confidence thing or is it coaching, if he doesn't want to be here why sign 

KHL or Sabbatical were his only other options.  So he got creative and got himself a Sabbatical with pay

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

McDavid is definitely stoppable. They just needed one more defenender on that goal. 1 on 4 is easy, but can he go 1 on 5? I doubt it. He's not THAT good

Also the goalie totally moved out of the way on that shot he put on net. Dunno why. 

Hoglander did 

The overwhelming concensus on this board is that Green is a bad coach. 

And I think we are right he isn't good.

Funny thing is he's been our head coach since 2017. 

So if he's a bad coach then he's been a bad coach all along. Makes you wonder. 

There was a game a couple years back when one of our players took what most on this board thought was a bad hit. Had his bell rung and had a hard time making it to the bench. 

In greens post gamer they asked him about the hit.  He shrugged, nya, it was a hockey play.

In a word. Flippant. It was kind of like he said "so what."

I wish I could remember which game that was. 

Im coming around to the lets get rid of Green side of things. Hes had a long run here and very limited success.

The special teams have not been good. Im not sure what we are doing playing Chaisson? He has not been a difference maker on the PP. why waste a spot on him for 8 minutes a game. He is slow and cant keep up to the play.

The PK has been awful and the biggest difference this year is we are not winning face offs to start the PK. I am not sold on Miller killing penalties. He has the heart but hes not the guy i want getting hit with a slap shot from the point. Bo needs to take the face offs to start the PK.

For all the talk of having an offensive top 9 instead of top 6 its not appearing to be a successful venture.

Right now our best players this year have been Garland, Demko, and OEL. Bo started off the season ok but he has faded as well. As long as this remains the same we will struggle.Miller has been better the last three games or so.

Demko has played well or they might not have any wins. For all the worry and concern over the Defense this season they have played reasonably well, in my opinion.

When you cannot score more than 2 goals a game you will not win many games in this league.

Pettersson needs to stop trying to rush through everyone. He isnt big enough or fast enough to beat 5 players. If he wants to play for a consistent winner he better step up because right now he is part of the reason they are not winning.

Miller needs to check some of that emotion and use it on the other team. Keep his comments on his own team mates to himself. Right now this team doesnt look very cohesive. In the bubble they looked like they were all together. Now it looks like a lot of singular efforts out there.

Something needs to change. I would be ok with firing Green but i would ask one very important question. Who would be better?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1