The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Rittenhouse. Murder or self defense ?

MaxVerstappen33

Not choosing sides in this case, but man Kyle’s performance over with that fake sobbing is kinda hilarious. Wasn’t he laughing and celebrating with his parents at a bar just after the shooting? Now he’s distraught? It’s obvious he’s trying to score some sympathy points here. 

His wannabe tough guy act is what led to this tragedy. His “I’m the victim” facade is just cringe to a whole another level. I have no sympathy for this child. I do wish however, that the trial remains to be objective without any political influence involved. 

I can only imagine the outcome of all this. Such a shame.

Edited by Odd.

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They don't? It's established that Rittenhouse shot Rosenbaum and it's established that Rosembaum was unarmed. We only have Rittenhouse's word that Rosenbaum threatened to kill him and KR claims that he thought the plastic bag that Rosenbaum threw at him was a chain. (Because those two things look so much alike :rolleyes:)

It's seems like a pretty decent case in any country where a judge refuses to allow people who were shot and killed to be called "victims".

I'd like to believe that the judge can be impartial as well, but what I've seen and heard so far makes that difficult to believe. Couple that with the obvious partisanship on the Supreme Court and it suggests to me that these two murder victims will not receive justice and it won't be long before Rittenhouse is back hanging with his Proud Boy friends, flashing White Power symbols and playing GI Joe with his lethal weapon that he treats like a toy....

Grosskreutz was aiming Rittenhouse's head with a pistol when he was shot in the arm, the other guy was bashing his head with a skateboard a moment before that, and the one unarmed you're referring to: well somebody shot a pistol into the air why Rittenhouse was running from the guy, with his back to the source of the shot, so that definitely makes things a bit more complicated.

I agree that a 17-year-old kid shouldn't run around with AR-15s, and he was out there to look cool and be a badass, but once you're there, you should be able to protect yourself from a mob. The way things escalated after the first victim, self defense doesn't sound so outlandish to me. The key here is the first victim, was that shooting truly justifiable? We'll see.

i don't think he's a hero, i don't think he's a maniac, i think i fall pretty neatly in the middle, i'm just awfully interested in the outcome of the trial, that's why i follow it as much as i can. I'm just a bit surprised how many people in this thread seem to see this case in a very black and white matter. Like they shouldn't even have a trial, because he's guilty and that's it.

I'm not sure how much the others follow the trial, but imo it's not a very obvious case. Both sides have really good arguments.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Grosskreutz was aiming Rittenhouse's head with a pistol when he was shot in the arm, the other guy was bashing his head with a skateboard a moment before that, and the one unarmed you're referring to: well somebody shot a pistol into the air why Rittenhouse was running from the guy, with his back to the source of the shot, so that definitely makes things a bit interesting.

i don't think he's a hero, i don't think he's a maniac, i think i fall pretty neatly in the middle, i'm just awfully interested in the outcome of the trial, that's why i follow it as much as i can. I'm just a bit surprised how many people in this thread seem to see this case in a very black and white matter. Like they shouldn't even have a trial, because he's guilty and that's it.

I'm not sure how much the others follow the trial, but imo it's not a very obvious case. Both sides have really good arguments.

To be clear, he probably has a decent self defense case against the 2nd and 3rd victims, but from what i can tell, the first person he shot threw a plastic bag at him. Doesn't seem like something that requires a deadly force response to me.....

.....but I don't live in a country that fetishises guns....

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW @Rubik I don't think Rittenhouse is a maniac either. I think he's a kid that wanted to play soldier, got in over his head and overreacted in a deadly manner.

I also think his actions prior to and after Kenosha show him to be a POS, but that isn't relevant to the case.

i agree with the playing soldier part (see my edit to my previous post)

allegedly the victims also had pretty impressive criminal records, so that kinda goes both ways. but you're right, that's not relevant to the case.

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is murder the only charge? Because going across state lines with the firearm he did to play soldier is a felony

I think there's a weapons charge as well. I'm betting that's the only thing he gets convicted on.

I'm also guessing that the guy who bought him the gun will face some kind of charge as well.

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I can see that little prick walking away and bragging about it later.

He won't be the only one. He'll be a hero to the Alt-Right and Faux News crowd.

I think you can expect the usual political suspects to weigh in as well....Trump, Cruz, Bobert Taylor-Greene, Gaetz, Biggs, etc., etc.....

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is murder the only charge? Because going across state lines with the firearm he did to play soldier is a felony

An article from Nov 2020 states that the gun was bought in Ladysmith and stored in Kenosha by Mr. Black. Mr. Black was the one that originally called Kyle to ask him help him guard businesses that night.

Edited by jatylo

44 minutes ago, Rubik said:

Grosskreutz was aiming Rittenhouse's head with a pistol when he was shot in the arm, the other guy was bashing his head with a skateboard a moment before that, and the one unarmed you're referring to: well somebody shot a pistol into the air why Rittenhouse was running from the guy, with his back to the source of the shot, so that definitely makes things a bit more complicated.

I agree that a 17-year-old kid shouldn't run around with AR-15s, and he was out there to look cool and be a badass, but once you're there, you should be able to protect yourself from a mob. The way things escalated after the first victim, self defense doesn't sound so outlandish to me. The key here is the first victim, was that shooting truly justifiable? We'll see.

He's a maniac. Normal people don't see a target on fire and think "lemme take my gun into the city to protect the small businesses."

People need to stop giving excuses for emboldened crazies.

Edited by Kurgom

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW @Rubik I don't think Rittenhouse is a maniac either. I think he's a kid that wanted to play soldier, got in over his head and overreacted in a deadly manner.

I also think his actions prior to and after Kenosha show him to be a POS, but that isn't relevant to the case.

I think the judge agreed with you that Rittenhouse's actions after Kenosha aren't relevant to the case.

But one of those actions was breaking down today in front of the jury.  That could have an impact on the jury.  For that reason, I thought maybe the prosecutor should be able to present videos of Rittenhouse's actions after that night in an effort to present a different view of how Rittenhouse is reacting to that night.

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

I think the judge agreed with you that Rittenhouse's actions after Kenosha aren't relevant to the case.

But one of those actions was breaking down today in front of the jury.  That could have an impact on the jury.  For that reason, I thought maybe the prosecutor should be able to present videos of Rittenhouse's actions after that night in an effort to present a different view of how Rittenhouse is reacting to that night.

Crying under stress and for self preservation that will be used as proof of his "regret" which will let him off scott free. We've seen this happen with white boys over and over again. 

The only semblance of comfort I get is that American prisons would just make him more racist and violent, so maybe society will end up better off that he gets to go home and eat moms tendies.

2 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Crying under stress and for self preservation that will be used as proof of his "regret" which will let him off scott free. We've seen this happen with white boys over and over again. 

The only semblance of comfort I get is that American prisons would just make him more racist and violent, so maybe society will end up better off that he gets to go home and eat moms tendies.

I'm just curious. What proof do you have that he is racist? The people he shot were white no? I'm not being sarcastic either. I genuinely want to know 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Either way, he’s definitely either getting some jail time for his gun charges or he gets like a serious probation.

3 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

I'm just curious. What proof do you have that he is racist? The people he shot were white no? I'm not being sarcastic either. I genuinely want to know 

It's not proof per se, but while out on bail, he was photographed drinking in a bar while he was underage. Whiel he was there, he posed for photos with Proud Boys and flashed a White Supremacist hand signal

10 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

I'm thinking the only justice that might result is a civil suit from Rosenbaum's family. I guess we'll see if Mike Lindell and Ricky Schroeder want to pony up for a seven figure decision.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's not proof per se, but while out on bail, he was photographed drinking in a bar while he was underage. Whiel he was there, he posed for photos with Proud Boys and flashed a White Supremacist hand signal

While he definitely shouldn't be at a bar while underage and presumably on bail, i don't see how that makes him racist? Isn't the leader of the proud boys Spanish or Mexican? I'd like a legit source that they are actually a racist group. Also this whole idea that "ok" hand signal can be considered some sort of racist sign is just hilariously pathetic to me

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to tell without hearing what led up to this, but I get the impression that the judge is prejudiced against this case. First he says that the murder victims can't be characterized as "victims" and now he (appears to be) saying that a previous incident has no bearing, because Rittenhouse didn't actually have a gun.....

The Prosecution lawyer points out (quite rightly, IMO) that the whole defense is predicated on whether KR feared for his life from a guy who also didn't have a gun and the judge says they're not similar, because Rittenhouse's actions in Kenosha were "split second" decisions?

I said earlier that I fully expect an acquittal and the judge's actions are doing nothing to make me change my mind....

yeah it certainly seems that way. Man thats not good.

Well, maybe a good year to skip joining demonstrations in the US once this kid is released. Seems in the bag to me after this.