The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Blue Jackets

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They probably want to keep him though; we'd have to give up a quality prospect or higher pick. 

Yeah for sure.  Speaking of big Russian dudes, Tryamkin would fit nicely on the 3rd pairing with Myers.  Wonder how we convince him to come back and play with Podzilla.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah for sure.  Speaking of big Russian dudes, Tryamkin would fit nicely on the 3rd pairing with Myers.  Wonder how we convince him to come back and play with Podzilla.

He's gone.  His wife wasn't happy here.  I could see him coming to the NHL eventually with a different team, but it won't be us.

• Upvote 1

I would do this - Harrington would be a solid bottom pairing guy. On top of playing in a Shaw system before, he's a former OHL teammate of Bo Horvat too.

His underlying #s aren't much of an upgrade on Schenn, but having both playing their proper side would possibly be an upgrade on the team until Rathbone is a little more ready. At that point, Harrington might find himself as waiver fodder, as I think Burroughs has done a pretty good job in his role.

I don't think Petan would be included in the deal, but I'm not surprised he is considering this is a @King Heffy proposal, but I could see a low pick being enough for a guy so close to the waiver wire - Jordie Benn who was solid in his role only captured a 6th.

27 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I would do this - Harrington would be a solid bottom pairing guy. On top of playing in a Shaw system before, he's a former OHL teammate of Bo Horvat too.

His underlying #s aren't much of an upgrade on Schenn, but having both playing their proper side would possibly be an upgrade on the team until Rathbone is a little more ready. At that point, Harrington might find himself as waiver fodder, as I think Burroughs has done a pretty good job in his role.

I don't think Petan would be included in the deal, but I'm not surprised he is considering this is a @King Heffy proposal, but I could see a low pick being enough for a guy so close to the waiver wire - Jordie Benn who was solid in his role only captured a 6th.

Petan inclusion was mostly to keep the contract numbers equal, and a throw-in.  I'm not under any illusion he has any value.  We can definitely afford to take on an extra contract on though

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

To Vancouver: Scott Harrington (retain enough salary to get under cap)

To CBJ: Petan, 2022 5th round pick

Columbus has a bit of a logjam on their left side; Harrington is a pending UFA, doesn't feature in their long-term plans, and spent most of last season on the taxi squad.  He has experience with Shaw and is a safe, reliable bottom pairing guy.

Petan can either go down to CBJ's farm team to help the forwards develop, or provide a warm body to keep guys down there if they're not ready.  We have a logjam at forward once healthy and he's already cleared waivers.   The 5th is for the retention and upgrade in player value.

I guess you’re leaving the Boeser for Laine proposal for me then right?  :-p

As far as your proposal goes, I don’t mind it I guess but I don’t really think it’s an issue that really needs fixing as Schenn and Hamonic have looked decent as our 3rd pairing.....although Harrington and Hamonic (or Poolman) would be an upgrade.

Edited by Patel Bure

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I guess you’re leaving the Boeser for Laine proposal for me then right?  :-p

As far as your proposal goes, I don’t mind it I guess but I don’t really think it’s an issue that really needs fixing as Schenn and Hamonic have looked decent as our 3rd pairing.....although Harrington and Hamonic (or Poolman) would be an upgrade.

Fair; I just don't like going through the season with only 2 usable lefties.  Resorting to AHL trash like Hunt once we get one injury makes it clear we need another body on the left side.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I like this proposal. Definitely think we could use a 3rd pairing LD. Hunt could be added from our side, so CBJ still have a depth LD in their system this season.

Yeah if we could trade Hunt instead of Petan sign me up.  Burroughs looks good as an LD but Harrington to really lock things down would be even better.

• Cheers 1

So it's settled ;) the final trade with CBJ is....

To VAN: Harrington

To CBJ: Petan, Hunt, 2022 5th round pick

Just spit-balling here but I'd also like to bolster our bottom 6 and PK, it doesn't look like Sutter's coming back any time soon. How about also doing:

To VAN: Derek Grant

To ANA: Chiasson, Highmore, 2022 6th round pick

Grant is a lefty but has an excellent faceoff %, is abrasive with good size and is a good PKer. Pair him with Motte on PK1. Put Dickinson + Lammikko on PK2.

Once Motte returns our roster (which is cap compliant) becomes:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Grant Lammikko

(Dowling)

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman

Harrington Hamonic

(Burroughs Schenn)

Demko, Halak

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah if we could trade Hunt instead of Petan sign me up.  Burroughs looks good as an LD but Harrington to really lock things down would be even better.

I think Petan and Hunt should be kept. Abby is  hurting with all the call-ups - getting two AHL superstars would help them quite a bit and give space to players like Klim to develop

I think a low pick is a more likely scenario - maybe with a low level prospect

He hasn't played that much in the last few years, I think we really need someone a bit more reliable who can also play big PK minutes on the left side with a bit of grit. Gavrikov would be ideal but he's basically playing in their top-4 right now so would be hard to steal. We'd have to give up a lot - basically someone to replace the minutes and they're winning right now so doubt we can touch him.

I wouldn't mind trying to steal someone like Ryan Murray from Colorado - medium frame, 29 yrs old now, left-handed defenceman, pretty much forgotten about in Colorado (a former blown 2nd overall pick), but he does play almost 2 minutes of PK time a night. He's never going to get more minutes in Colorado and maybe we can flip Schenn or Burroughs + a pick for Murray? He plays a consistent 15-18 minutes a night on their bottom pairing and could be exactly what we need. Sure, size and toughness would be nicer but I'd rather find a lefty who can play some PK minutes, otherwise the only guy we have is OEL and if he's in the box, we're screwed.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Murray - Poolman

That's actually a decent bottom pairing which wouldn't make us nervous every time they're on the ice.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I wonder about that relationship with Trymakin as well. 

Assuming he even wants to come back here. But if he does, would he want to play a bottom pairing role with the team? Maybe he wants a top four role on the backend? Wasn't that the reason he left in the first place? That he wasn't given more minutes when he thinks he should have had them?