The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 11, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

We hear so much about "replacement level" for players, so why can't this apply to coaching too? it can't be much worse. 

One thing they won't fix, is our PK.   Can't have a PK at a high level with the players available.   Sure maybe Trotz could fix this.   I see Travis Green as going down as the Nonis era did.   Someone else comes in, Motte and Sutter come back and maybe a trade for a LHD PK D as well and wow all of a sudden everything is rosey.    Travis Green looked defeated.   Was really rooting for him.   Have a somewhat distant personal connection that maybe blurred things for me but still think he's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be.   Short term memories i guess.   Under his tutelage quite a few players have really shined.  Miller, Pearson, QHs, EP, Hogs etc.   Demko and Markstrom too.    Expectations should be bubble playoffs this year.   Nothing more nothing less.   So far the teams had almost every loss by one goal until last night when the wheels seemed to have come off. 

Can see Horvat apologizing to Green if he loses his job.    The players need to be more accountable to each other as well.   Will see how the next couple go.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup, we could make a blockbuster trade to wake everyone up but wasnt that the OEL Garland deal? At this point, Green hasn't earned the benefit of risking trading a star player in hopes the team wakes up. 

Easiest course of action is replacing coaches at this point. I would rather try a new coach and if there are still roster issues address it then. 

if we had any kind of special teams success, maybe you risk it but there's futility on every major aspect of the results.

6 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

He actually thinks this fanbase is dumb. He brings in guys like Linden and the Sedins when he feels the negative heat from the market thinking it will take the pressure off of him. He is a garbage owner and we are stuck with him.

the problem is, he is correct in his assumption

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I said I'd try to be positive about the team. 

But after this game. It's hard to be positive about much of anything after what I saw tonight. Are heads going to roll soon? 

If we have another stinker on Saturday night, one would think it would be enough to ignite Aqua to demand a coaching change. The team on paper is strong. The effort level against Col was hoorendous. Not to mention, Demko has been stellar in most games. Without him, we would easily a bottom 3 team right now...

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

One thing they won't fix, is our PK.   Can't have a PK at a high level with the players available.   Sure maybe Trotz could fix this.   I see Travis Green as going down as the Nonis era did.   Someone else comes in, Motte and Sutter come back and maybe a trade for a LHD PK D as well and wow all of a sudden everything is rosey.    Travis Green looked defeated.   Was really rooting for him.   Have a somewhat distant personal connection that maybe blurred things for me but still think he's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be.   Short term memories i guess.   Under his tutelage quite a few players have really shined.  Miller, Pearson, QHs, EP, Hogs etc.   Demko and Markstrom too.    Expectations should be bubble playoffs this year.   Nothing more nothing less.   So far the teams had almost every loss by one goal until last night when the wheels seemed to have come off. 

Can see Horvat apologizing to Green if he loses his job.    The players need to be more accountable to each other as well.   Will see how the next couple go.  

I'm not going to celebrate his job loss if thats what happens, this has to suck for him pretty bad. But I do think he's not the right guy. And this may just be step 1 for him on to something really good. So lets just thank him and move on.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

Just read this quote from the Baltimore Ravens head coach after they lost yesterday. THIS is a guy who knows how to lead a team. 

"We just played poorly and it's because of our coaching," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "It starts with me. I didn't do a good job getting these guys ready."

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably should have played Hunt instead of Rathbone. You have a journeyman who's been in the league. Hunt couldn't have been worse than Rathbone was. Need to let Rathbone play in all situations, let him simmer in Abby and communicate with the coaching staff in Abby about his game and whether he warrants and earns a call up when there are injuries. He was certainly called up by the Canucks. But did he play well to warrant that call up? 

Call ups should be on merit, and what the players are doing in the AHL to get a call up to the big leagues. If they're not ready or playing well, then they remain where they are.

I don't even know what kind of culture the Canucks as an organization is promoting and has established. I mean, Benning has been on record to have said that he's taking things day to day. What kind of overall plan is that? For a person who's leading a multi-million dollar organization, that reeks of incompetence and non-confidence. I'm not sure if after eight years on the job, if he's just not a good GM. 

I think from the top down, this organization ism in a hurry

quick turn around "retool"

trade for "NHL ready prospects" read that as guys heading for the waiver wire

3 years of rebuild, with no extra picks

then trade for Miller and announce, "we are going to make the playoffs"

Hamonic 1 game in Abby, Rathbone 2 games in Abby. I Cull a miracle worker

No Jim is just in a hurry

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Got a few billion dollars burning a hole in your pocket? Be my guest. 

38 minutes ago, JM_ said:

better luck with "cancel" maybe? 

Tongue in cheek comment, but he's obviously ok with the way things have been going, because he's not doing a goddam thing to show us fans he gives a &^@#.

I could go on an epic rant rn, but it's not worth my time. We all know the problems, the changes we want to see, but clearly the fan base and ownership aren't seeing eye to eye on what this team could be. 

Aqua -> checked out

Fanbase in shambles 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'm not going to celebrate his job loss if thats what happens, this has to suck for him pretty bad. But I do think he's not the right guy. And this may just be step 1 for him on to something really good. So lets just thank him and move on.

Next three games will probably be the most important ones of his career.   If the players have lost the room then JB needs to make a change.   2/14 games have been close ones.   I don't like how we are always playing from behind - but the PK and all the personnel changes take time.   We lost Beagle, AR, Motte, Sutter and even LE ... and don't have a second LHD that can kill them.   That's  absolutely not coaching.   

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup, we could make a blockbuster trade to wake everyone up but wasnt that the OEL Garland deal? At this point, Green hasn't earned the benefit of risking trading a star player in hopes the team wakes up. 

Easiest course of action is replacing coaches at this point. I would rather try a new coach and if there are still roster issues address it then. 

Yeah, the bullet of roster tweaking has been used and the more prudent/cheapest option, is a coaching change.   Let's see how the roster will handle a coaching change ?  Ofcourse, it will matter who; and this is where JB comes in.

Just now, luckylager said:

Tongue in cheek comment, but he's obviously ok with the way things have been going, because he's not doing a goddam thing to show us fans he gives a &^@#.

I could go on an epic rant rn, but it's not worth my time. We all know the problems, the changes we want to see, but clearly the fan base and ownership aren't seeing eye to eye on what this team could be. 

Aqua -> checked out

Fanbase in shambles 

well, he did blow real cash in those buyouts and take on a &^@# ton in OEL. 

My theory on Aqua is he doesn't really have good contacts in hockey. Thats why the hires have been a bit weird - he knew Gillis as an agent. He knew Linden from the team, etc. He's not part of the hockey community so he hires who he knows locally or once hiring an agent for GM.

He needs someone like Courtnall to help him find a new GM and coach, otherwise nothings going to change. 

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Just read this quote from the Baltimore Ravens head coach after they lost yesterday. THIS is a guy who knows how to lead a team. 

"We just played poorly and it's because of our coaching," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "It starts with me. I didn't do a good job getting these guys ready."

Yup totally. 

Players will also rally around the coach when he owns it. 

Also Harbaugh is a good coach. Green has shown zero indication he is. 

Previously it was masked by an inferior team and the excuse was, he's from the AHL and works better with the young guys. Once the team evolves, he will as well... 

This year, the puzzling selections at camp indicates he's actually not good with young players as he essentially went with all vets and they've laid an egg. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Yup, good leaders lead from the front. Accountability has been an issue for this team from all levels, especially from management and coaching. They love to deflect blame and not eat any of their shortcomings. Creates a bad culture. The players have to be held accountable too, which I think that they do because we often hear from them how bad they looked and they want to get better, but rarely to we hear Green sewer himself for a dogsh*t coaching performance or do we hear Benning admit he has been wrong on numerous occasions. The players take notice of this poor leadership and it’s obvious why this teams culture is broken and there isn’t really any sort of direction from the top as what they are envisioning is completely different than what we are seeing in the ice. We aren’t far off from being Buffalo. 

Green would never say something like that.