The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

I don’t get why people want guys like Torts or AV back. There will be other options out there. Our city has a habit of pining for the glory days when we lost a little less. We should demand more from this franchise after 50+ years.

I don't think anyone's literally saying "bring back AV/Torts", but, rather, give us a proven HC who commands respect and whom you won't have to guess whether or not they've lost the room or are in over their head in the NHL. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Its the same old same old.

The problems come down to this:

-  5 on 5 there is no support for the puckcarrier... its all 1 on 1, there is no one there to take a pass from the puck carrier when he crosses the blue line.  Yeah, Pettersson looks stupid and falls down when he has to attack 1 on 3, but so does Miller, etc.  There is also no imagination in how the blue line is attacked... its always either a) shoot it in, or b) carry it in straight ahead, no criss cross, no drop pass, rarely a button hook, no cut to the middle.  Its so easy to predict.  There is limited success when they shoot it in adn someone gets there first, but the opposing team knows it is going back to the point first pass, so they pressure, pressure, pressure and usually the attempted cycle goes nowhere.  The only success they seem to have is the occasional breakaway pass hits the mark... so this game you got Hoglander and Boeser with opportunities.  But you can't base your offense on breakaway passes.

-  On the PP there is no movement... all the players are static in their positions... Bo downlow to the right front of the net, two guys on the point, Pettersson or Miller in the right face off circle, Boeser in the left faceoff circle or to left of the net below the goal line.  The players sit in these static positions 90% of the time... occasionally Hughes will walk the puck along the blue line, occasionally Pettersson and Miller will change positions.  The other failing on the PP is no zip on the passes... it is all slow and deliberate... a guy takes a pass, he pauses, then either passes or stickhandles a bit.  No attacking the net, no continuous interchange of positions to confuse the defense, no quick short sharp passes to put them out of position.  And no seam passes... because there is no room because the PKers know exactly where everyone on the PP is.  If you watched the Ducks PP, you could see them getting seam passes through regularly... because they move the puck fast and they interchange postions... this opens up the PKers and allows for the seam pass.

-  On the PK or 5 on 5 defense, its the same... collapse to the net... give time and space to the opponents... there is no pressure, no challenge.  Worst error seen time and again... an opposing forward entering the zone is ignored and allowed to walk in stick on the ice and ready for a pass.  Ducks had so many good chances I stopped counting.

These are all system failures... coaching can fix them...  but the coaches seem to be blind... how they can't see what needs to be done to fix the PP is a mystery.

Markys backup Vladar even got a shutout because the coaching made it easy for hom to play....

6 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Oh yeah let's bring in the guy who banged his star goaltenders wife behind his back.

There is a reason this guy has been blackballed from the league. Hes a lowlife.

Not as bad as an entire organization knowing about sexual abuse of a player. Maybe he deserves a second chance.

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Big Bruce Boudreau would be my first choice.

With the defense so... just putrid stinky, like rotting corpse bad, I think Bruce would have the team at least playing an exciting brand of hockey.

We have enough talent to score 3 or more goals a game with a little love from the big man.

I want Bruce aswell

• Cheers 1

Man let aquaman run the team, make him gm, coach, assistant. Go down there and coach and trade them. Don't control them. Be a man and hear the fans boo u out of town and throw whatever they please at you.. they paid good money to watch ahl coaching. They could do that in Abby for 20.00 a game... and.get more.husstle 

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Who are realistic candidates for GMJB and coaching staff,I’m all ears

Hopefully, not another 1st-time NHL GM and former AGM. It was embarrassing listening to/reading Canucks fawning over his tenure in Boston as if HE was the architect of those teams. 

I am not sure about Bruce Boudreau for the reason a good coach keeps his cool... he doesn't lose it and scream and yell.

That clip from the Washington dressing room showing Boudreau screaming at the Capitol players... 'F*ck this... F*ck that... F*cking, F*cking, F*cking... 

Players are not stupid, they should be spoken to like adults.

Yeah Boudreau has a good record, but he coached a (corrected Anaheim) team and a Washington team which were loaded.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I am not sure about Bruce Boudreau for the reason a good coach keeps his cool... he doesn't lose it and scream and yell.

That clip from the Washington dressing room showing Boudreau screaming at the Capitol players... 'F*ck this... F*ck that... F*cking, F*cking, F*cking... 

Players are not stupid, they should be spoken to like adults.

Yeah Boudreau has a good record, but he coached a San Jose team and a Washington team which were loaded.

Anaheim, not San Jose. 

40 minutes ago, x00x said:

cause none wanna get hurt, tanev was a  beast and always put his body on the line for the team, a true warrior and would always be hurt, why i was so shocked we let him walk

Perhaps it was his warrior-like play that led to his annual IR stints, and, ultimately made him too risky for a contract extension. But, he's definitely playing for the right coach now in Calgary. I wasn't in favour of him getting an extension as a Canuck, but, I'm certainly happy for him now playing for Sutter. Even if it is in Calgary.