The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

I thought the Canucks or any other team can not negotiate with Miller about an extension until the 13th  after the draft  So I just don't see anybody ponying up enough for a deal until after the draft . And the Canucks get a chance to see where things stand . 

• Cheers 1

On 6/27/2022 at 2:08 AM, N4ZZY said:

Forsberg is going to cost 8-9M over long term. He's what? 28? So I guess if you sign him to a 7 year deal, by the end of it, he's 35. Does he still produce at a high level at that age? What would be the difference than with Miller? Why not just keep him at that point?

He’s two years younger and you can move Miller for picks and prospects and get an equivalent player for nothing.

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

I thought the Canucks or any other team can not negotiate with Miller about an extension until the 13th  after the draft  So I just don't see anybody ponying up enough for a deal until after the draft . And the Canucks get a chance to see where things stand . 

Very true

2 hours ago, Nurnge said:

Teams figure things out all the time, any inquiring team could ask the Canucks roughly what he's looking for and if he'd be willing to extend with them. I'd put money on the Canucks having at least a ballpark idea of what Miller wants.

Miller's camp knows the Canucks are exploring their options.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, I wouldn't be. But I've consistently mentioned I think we're at least four years out from legitimately contending and Miller's top end years will likely have come and gone by then.

I want him traded to bolster the team around our young core going forward. Play the longer game, not this short term contention dream. Build that next wave, our system is pretty damn weak and Pettersson, Bo, and Boeser will likely be after bigger contracts once their current ones are up, and we'll have to pay Podz, ect.

We need top end ELC/RFA talent in the system. 

That's what I've been saying too.

I don't think Bo & Boeser will be here in 4 years.

Need to blow it up by tanking to get that elite talent & multiple 1sts in 22, 23, & 24 will help too. They can pay to get some of those 1sts by taking on expiring contracts like Carolina did with Marleau that turned into Jarvis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nurnge said:

In theory they can't.  Sweeney confirmed that he can't talk extension with Pastrnak before mid-July and it's his own player.  Last year Jones was traded before the draft with Chicago knowing they could get him under contract - his extension details even leaked before they could officially sign him.  

Friedman believes Philadelphia made a concrete offer for DeBrincat.  Powers/Lazerus think 5th overall is part of the return.  He has 1-year left but Philadelphia wouldn't trade the pick unless they know they can extend him.  

1 hour ago, AC Readership said:

Need to blow it up by tanking to get that elite talent & multiple 1sts in 22, 23, & 24 will help too. They can pay to get some of those 1sts by taking on expiring contracts like Carolina did with Marleau that turned into Jarvis.

I dunno if I'm set on blowing things up, I've been going back and forth on that with @JM_ for a while, but I do think we need to be willing to move guys out and let it ride over the next few seasons.

I expect us to be in the mix for a playoff spot, but I think drafting talent, restructuring the roster, and unraveling Benning's mistakes will take a couple years. 

I'm not on board with going all in these next 2-3 seasons because I think the contention dream is incredibly optimistic at best.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nurnge said:

True, but JR did say they’d know where they stand with Miller (and Bo) by the draft.  

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno if I'm set on blowing things up, I've been going back and forth on that with @JM_ for a while, but I do think we need to be willing to move guys out and let it ride over the next few seasons.

I expect us to be in the mix for a playoff spot, but I think drafting talent, restructuring the roster, and unraveling Benning's mistakes will take a couple years. 

I'm not on board with going all in these next 2-3 seasons because I think the contention dream is incredibly optimistic at best.

Only way to get that elite game changing talent is by blowing it up and ripping the band aid off. Either they need to be in the playoffs or lottery, the in between limbo does this franchise no good long term in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Only way to get that elite game changing talent is by blowing it up and ripping the band aid off. Either they need to be in the playoffs or lottery, the in between limbo does this franchise no good long term in my opinion.

The blues kings and Bruins have all won a cup and had lengthy success without this elite talent you speak of that could only be found at the top of the draft.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Headline in two weeks: JT Miller has signed a 6 year, 8.5 mil/year extension.  

Would people be happy? 

That would be excellent. Keep our hardest working horse, especially because of his fiery temper.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Yup.  This concept of a “competitive rebuild” is a fool’s game.  Every Cup winner has key core pieces that are top five picks.  Heck Sakic traded Duchene (was he the Avs top 3 pick one draft?) because he knew they weren’t good enough.  It got him a couple years of top five picks.  Makar and Byram.  That’s what we should do.  Out Miller and maybe even Bo. 

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

You’re a rebuild addict.

Let’s bring in a Stanley Cup winning management only to rebuild because in the future, something might happen.

What the hell are you on bud?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The blues kings and Bruins have all won a cup and had lengthy success without this elite talent you speak of that could only be found at the top of the draft.

Bruins yes.  Kings maybe?  Key core pieces:  Doughty was top three pick.  Plus they used a recently drafted top pick to get Carter and Richards.  They used their top picks as a means to get the final key pieces.  

So do we have the key core pieces already that are good enough, if properly supported, to win the Cup?  Do we have the capital (players, prospects, picks) to trade and build the supporting group?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bruins yes.  Kings maybe?  Key core pieces:  Doughty was top three pick.  Plus they used a recently drafted top pick to get Carter and Richards.  They used their top picks as a means to get the final key pieces.  

So do we have the key core pieces already that are good enough, if properly supported, to win the Cup?  Do we have the capital (players, prospects, picks) to trade and build the supporting group?  

I forgot about doughty. Petey was a top 5 pick that would be redrafted top 3. So we're splitting hairs here. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah but you see, the shortsightedness of fans demanding results yesterday must measure themselves against yearly Stanley Cup winners, demanding to emulate the path of whoever wins the Cup.

The conversation needle moves every year and they don’t even realize their opinion is that of a sheep looking at a lamp post at night.

We have a team clicking at .638 percentage and in good ol’ Vancouver fan fashion, it’ll never be good enough. 

The day the Canucks win the Cup, many will B!tch and moan as to how the team

didn’t play it’s best.

Let’s reformat the Cup.

Assemble the top three picks right after the draft, Rock Paper Scissors, hand them a Cup each. 

Cancel the season because winning the Cup is no longer possible without top three drafts.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

literally no prospect with no NHL experience have ever been traded for a 1st.

Eric Lindros says hello. He was traded for 2 1sts (along with a boatload of players and cash).