The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ooh, that would be a bold strategy Cotton.

New thread idea: Hughes, do we really need him? 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if we're going to give NJ that kind of marketing opportunity, not to mention the talent, it would have to be viewed as a big lopsided win for us. I'd want this years 2nd, 2023 unprotected 1st, a 2023 2nd just as the opening on the picks side.  That would allow us to make an offer sheet play. 

Oh, man, if they're willing to add a 2023 unprotected 1st...

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I know you're just hypothetically speaking here but here are the recent 2nd overalls

Seguin

Landoskog

Ryan Murray 

Barkov

Reinhart

Eichel

Laine

patrick

Svechnikov

Kakko

Byfield 

berniers

Sure a barkov would be great, but odds are we end up with a Reinhart level of player. thanks but no thanks.

Yup, just spitballing here, but if the return is 2OA, unprotected 2023 1st, +++, the ball just might stick. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Well,

Pasta is also going into the last year of his contract and has apparently requested a trade. 

Boston was linked to Miller at the trade deadline I believe. 

Pasta would look real good in Canucks colours. 

No insider has that news.  Sweeney and Barry confirmed that they will be talking extension once they are allowed in mid-July.

“I spoke with Don and David this morning and we don’t know where this report emanated from,” Barry said. “We both have a solid relationship with Don and the plan hasn’t changed one bit. We will sit down in July and begin extension negotiations.”

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I know you're just hypothetically speaking here but here are the recent 2nd overalls

Seguin

Landoskog

Ryan Murray 

Barkov

Reinhart

Eichel

Laine

patrick

Svechnikov

Kakko

Byfield 

berniers

Sure a barkov would be great, but odds are we end up with a Reinhart level of player. thanks but no thanks.

Or a Murray or Patrick :(

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yup, just spitballing here, but if the return is 2OA, unprotected 2023 1st, +++, the ball just might stick. 

it has to be something like that, this is a unique situation that we don't have to help them with. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Miller & Hughes for 2OA, 23 1st unprotected, 22 2nd, Holtz, & Mercer.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

My preference would be they choose to keep Miller and trade Horvat. I like Horvat and a lot about him but also see a lot of weakness in his overall game and the biggest is inconsistency where he goes through long stretches of doing absolutely nothing to help the team when needed spending a lot of shifts stuck in his own zone so tired he can barely stand up and a shooting gallery on Demko.

Anyway on Miller possibly going to the Devils because it's likely that he's the guy traded what I'd like for a deal is we trade Miller and our 15th for their 2nd and take the best defenseman available and Jesper Bratt and then get Marchmant.

Imo this trade and these moves would be absolutely amazing for the future of our team!

We've got to move some wingers before we take on more of them.   And then decide if we go with Petey as 1C or find another center to replace Millers draws.

56 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

My preference would be they choose to keep Miller and trade Horvat. I like Horvat and a lot about him but also see a lot of weakness in his overall game and the biggest is inconsistency where he goes through long stretches of doing absolutely nothing to help the team when needed spending a lot of shifts stuck in his own zone so tired he can barely stand up and a shooting gallery on Demko.

Anyway on Miller possibly going to the Devils because it's likely that he's the guy traded what I'd like for a deal is we trade Miller and our 15th for their 2nd and take the best defenseman available and Jesper Bratt and then get Marchmant.

Imo this trade and these moves would be absolutely amazing for the future of our team!

We've got to move some wingers before we take on more of them.   And then decide if we go with Petey as 1C or find another center to replace Millers draws.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't do meltdowns.

I'll simultaneously be happy we retained a high quality player for what would have to be a below market hit, while also acknowledging it likely hurts our looking term chances of success in 3-4 years, right when we should be most competitive.

That said, I suspect his "near $50m" is likely closer to $55m. And $48 and $46.5m aren't "close" to that.

Try more like $8x7 or $9x6.... So yeah, not particularly worried.

Its not an easy situation for Miller imo. We can move him now for an OK return (the Chytil, Lundkivst, late 1st type of return) and then he's basically a rental and has to go and start negotiations all over again with is new team. 

If we can keep him at 8 x 6 we need to do that. I still think we can make significant UFA upgrades by clearing out Myers, Pearson, Garland and Dickie. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Podkolzins Snipe said:

Bo is our best at draws and shootouts though is he not ?

4 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Miller & Hughes for 2OA, 23 1st unprotected, 22 2nd, Holtz, & Mercer.

Need Miller or equivalent to get Byram if Canucks trading Hughes.

Byram looked solid during the playoffs.  Will be a future #1D possibly getting 40-50pts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Its not an easy situation for Miller imo. We can move him now for an OK return (the Chytil, Lundkivst, late 1st type of return) and then he's basically a rental and has to go and start negotiations all over again with is new team. 

If we can keep him at 8 x 6 we need to do that. I still think we can make significant UFA upgrades by clearing out Myers, Pearson, Garland and Dickie. 

It sounds like Canucks and Miller are close to $$ aav but not on term.  Say something like $8.5M x 5yrs but Miller wants 8.5M x 8yrs.

This is just me speculating from what I’ve read in the news so far.

• Vintage 1

So now we're trading Hughes AND Miller?

And in some instances to the same place for two mere picks and two prospects/young players?

That's it?

Day drinking at or before 8 am is certainly ok, but please don't post that nonsense when you decide that's your plans for your day

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Bo is our best at draws and shootouts though is he not ?

Miller, Pettersson and then Horvat in shootout success as a Canuck but it's close

• Miller 6 for 16   (9 for 23 in his career)
  • Pettersson 9 for 26
  • Horvat 8 for 24

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

It sounds like Canucks and Miller are close to $$ aav but not on term.  Say something like $8.5M x 5yrs but Miller wants 8.5M x 8yrs.

This is just me speculating from what I’ve read in the news so far.

It’s likely the total dollars are the sticking point.  Miller wants over 60 million.  To get to that we need to go too much on the cap or too much term.  If Miller would come down to the low 50s in total then there is likely a deal for 7.75 x 7 years.  He compromises and so do we.