The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

If the rumours are true about Miller not agreeing/not seeing eye to eye with Green, then we can probably assume that Green isn't getting fired anytime soon.

What a joke of a management this team has become. They're just clinging onto a failed coach. Why?

I am just guessing though about the above. Maybe Green does end up getting fired, sooner rather than later. I read somewhere about Horvat wanting to keep Green, but Miller didn't like him (dunno if this is substantiated though)

Edited by Dazzle

Just now, GB5 said:

Miller for Fiala is a non starter.

Canucks have a lot of skilled wingers. Miller is a physical center/winger and the team leading scorer which puts a higher premium on what he provides.

Don't think Minny is a good trading partner for us. Maybe for Boeser but not Miller, doesn't fit their timeline. I think NYI is our partner although I'm nervous about JB dealing with Loui..

• Cheers 1

Just now, J-P said:

Don't think Minny is a good trading partner for us. Maybe for Boeser but not Miller, doesn't fit their timeline. I think NYI is our partner although I'm nervous about JB dealing with Loui..

Can't be worse than the Schneider trade where every single media pundit said we got ripped off.

5 minutes ago, Screw said:

The return on Miller would need to be a blue chip and a high pick.  

1st round pick to be sure but I doubt it would be a high first round pick.  Most teams needing that 'other solid player' to add to their roster to 'get over the hump' aren't likely to be finishing in the lottery pick area in the standings.

Just now, J-P said:

Miller is the one they are interested in - not Boeser.  Kuzma even mentions it and the Wild don't want wingers but Cs.

They want to make a hockey trade.  The Wild are still rebuilding but still want to make the playoffs and build a winning environment.

Miller can play C which is a better fit than Fiala who is a winger.   He is also signed short term on a reasonable deal - it bridges the gap to Rossi and helps them cap wise with the buyouts increasing to 13M next season (and then 2 more years at 15M).  They can't spend on wingers when their need is at C.  They probably also don't want to go long term on wing when they have prospects for those spots.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If the owner is wanting us to try and make the playoffs we do 1 thing, fire the coach and hope for the best. You don't trade your leading scorer if you want to try and make the playoffs...The GM is above all in with the team, traded tons of 1sts, let the coach make boneheaded personnel decisions to during pre season and signed of on the waived players, it is just a mess under the current coach and GM, both need to go. We have 0 pk players, poor ass C depth due to the current GMs decisions...

Is it all Green's fault? all down to tactics or the core players simply aren't performing at 100%? If the responsibility falls heavily on the core players too, then a shakeup is needed!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Miller for Greenway + Boldy + 1st 2022?

:)

The Wild obviously say no but why do you want to rebuild?   Miller gone for futures shows Horvat/Pettersson etc that the team isn't looking to being competitive.  Horvat stated clearly that he's not willing to go through a rebuild.

• Vintage 1

People need to realise that we're the ones kind of desperate at the moment if this trade is made. All this talk about "non-starters" because Fiala's just another winger... I don't see how we can expect anything better at this point. This is why these trades should not be made in the 1st place, because it's unlikely we're going to get that "perfect player" that we want in this case.

This is one of those EA NHL game threads where everyone's expectations are of a game and not reality.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

The Wild obviously say no but why do you want to rebuild?   Miller gone for futures shows Horvat/Pettersson etc that the team isn't looking to being competitive.  Horvat stated clearly that he's not willing to go through a rebuild.

I'm looking to keep Greenway.   Then flip Boldy + 1st for a top C or RHD.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

…. Ummm because our team is terrible?

We are at the bottom of the league while giving away all our futures, there is no other magic wand that makes us magically better.  We haven’t just had a short spell of underperforming, we have cumulatively been one of the bottom 4 teams in the league over the last many years.  The teams worse than us are cap floor teams who don’t actually spend money to win.

The ship has already sailed on this front.  What magic turnaround can happen between now and next trade deadline where Horvat has to be traded or walk for nothing as a UFA.

Of course Horvat doesn’t want to go through a rebuild, for the exact same reasons he also wouldn’t want to re-sign for a bottom feeder team that isn’t rebuilding but is worse than many rebuilding teams.  His agent isn’t dumb, he can see what we have on our roster coming up.

We don’t have spare assets to throw around for help in all the areas we need help without just making a hole somewhere else.

It would just be shuffling around deck chairs on the Titanic right now.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Then trade Horvat. 

This current team is Jimbo 'all in'. It's not working. Blow it up.

• Like 1