The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think the goal is to try to bring Millers agent down off the idea of a massive contract. All of the big contract extension expectations are part of whats lowering his trade value, this isn't news to any GM.

Same problem with Klingberg, big expectations with little interest. 

Man if Miller swaps agents that should spawn at least another 500 pages on its own. 

This is a solid thought. However, talk directly with the agent and try to reason with him and Miller. Going public isn't the best idea for bargaining in good faith, so I doubt his agent is terribly happy with JR using the media to negotiate. 

48 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not exactly the (big moves) changes I was looking for. A couple decent players but does nothing to fix our (problem) defence unless Mikeyhev is dressing as a RD.

It's important to remember that a good offence helps with defence, and our forward group is hugely improved from last year. Also, our D is improperly structured and we're missing a top 4 rhdman, but we still do have decent depth, and if OEL has success playing the right side with Hughes then we might be surprised at how much it's improved, in addition to our imprudent forward group and a full training camp and season with Bruce. 

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not exactly the (big moves) changes I was looking for. A couple decent players but does nothing to fix our (problem) defence unless Mikeyhev is dressing as a RD.

I disagree.

If we’d drafted an absolute stud for RHD everyone would be excited even though the imaginary player wouldn’t significantly help our right side for 2-3 years. If we can’t fix that spot in that timeframe it’s a huge fail.

On the other hand - if we further solidify a position that we’re already flush in - then we can trade to fix the problem from a position of strength and in the correct timeframe.

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess to me it just speaks to how hard it is to move cap. Would you have been happy to see us burn 2nd or 3rd round picks to be able to make some more moves?

No probably not. I agree it's more about the current landscape. I guess new management got me excited which is the  highlight over the last 3 years for myself. I was just hoping we might at least see the light at the end of the tunnel but alas ...

25 minutes ago, tas said:

wah wah wah. entitled much? billy at school got a nintendo under the christmas tree and I only got a sweater!

Wow, you're such a joy. Sorry for trying to add honest content to the forum. Go ahead perfect human. I don't need this crap.

24 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This is a solid thought. However, talk directly with the agent and try to reason with him and Miller. Going public isn't the best idea for bargaining in good faith, so I doubt his agent is terribly happy with JR using the media to negotiate. 

probably not, although the agent did just do that as well saying that there was a reasonable path to a contract, last week anyway. 

dunno, this is a tough one that doesn't look good right now for an extension or a big trade haul. If Miller was two years younger this thing is done by now. 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

one wonders if "War and Peace" would have been as highly acclaimed as it was if it was published under its original name "War: What Is It Good For?"

That's news to me. This work had 3 different initial titles - "Three Seasons", "Year 1805" and "All is well that ends well".

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No probably not. I agree it's more about the current landscape. I guess new management got me excited which is the  highlight over the last 3 years for myself. I was just hoping we might at least see the light at the end of the tunnel but alas ...

I'm a little surprised (no pun intended) that Garland is still here. Moving him, paying a little to dump Dickie could get us Klingberg. But maybe there's no market either for the little feller. 

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's extremely difficult to make big moves. Just look at OEL and Myers and their big contracts. How do you get rid of their contracts ? How do you trade a player like OEL with this contract given the fact that most teams lack cap space. Once the Arizona/VAN deal was announced on draft day including OEL + Garland / VAN's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Roussel, Loui Player Name and Beagle I wrote that this was the worst trade in Canucks history.

1 year later the new management is trying to trade OEL and Garland.

I doubt we're trying to move OEL and his contract isn't that bad.  

• Cheers 2

Is the consensus on CDC that we would like to keep JT Miller but it boils down to the amount of term?

I would keep him but 5-6years would be my max if he wants 8.5m or slightly more. If he has another PPG season he could command 8.5-9m on a 7 year deal as a UFA possibly right?

5yr x 9m would be my max cap hit, 6yr x 8.75m : These are my best to offers to JT if I was GM. Canucks will need to extend a lot of young talent and Demko in the net 4-5years. The hope is the cap does jump up eventually, but the NHL seems to be making $ and got a ton from Seattle to buy into the league yet the salary cap is only able to go up 1m...how much is Bettman and Daly getting per year, Too much!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm a little surprised (no pun intended) that Garland is still here. Moving him, paying a little to dump Dickie could get us Klingberg. But maybe there's no market either for the little feller. 

Not possible.  Posters have been pumping Garlands tires that he’s good value and top 6 wingers capable of adding more goals if on PP1.

3 hours ago, mll said:

It's the players that wanted Trotz fired per media in NYI.  

Says who exactly?   Damn.  Guy takes their team to the final four two years in a row and look all you'd like,  but in 40 years of following the NHL i've never seen a team go from one of the worst defensive teams, to a top 3 one overnight, and he did that after they lost Tavares!     Maybe he lost the room.   But he sure did in NSH for a very long time, and that team just kept producing star after star D's under his watch no matter where they were drafted.    Media is just that - makes sh!t up all the time.   Sure turned on him fast if this is true.   Good grief, one of the best coaches of his era. And he's not stupid like Babcock, or anything like Keenan either.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

Not possible.  Posters have been pumping Garlands tires that he’s good value and top 6 wingers capable of adding more goals if on PP1.

he's fine, but to me if we could swap out Garlands salary for Klingberg's we do that all day. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

he's fine, but to me if we could swap out Garlands salary for Klingberg's we do that all day. 

I would think teams in a similar point to their cycle as Seattle trading for Bjorkstand would trade slightly less for Garland if he was on the table. New Jersey has been rumoured, Detroit, Seattle, Anaheim needs to hit the floor, etc. Both I could see Rutherford valuing having Garland around more than moving him for a 4th rounder. Garland's value is low right now, but this summer has been crazy for a lot of players' value. Could easily change in 1-2 seasons. He brings a lot to 5-on-5 play.

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I would think teams in a similar point to their cycle as Seattle trading for Bjorkstand would trade slightly less for Garland if he was on the table. New Jersey has been rumoured, Detroit, Seattle, Anaheim needs to hit the floor, etc. Both I could see Rutherford valuing having Garland around more than moving him for a 4th rounder. Garland's value is low right now, but this summer has been crazy for a lot of players' value. Could easily change in 1-2 seasons. He brings a lot to 5-on-5 play.

he does, and I'm not saying he's hot garbage. It just to move cap and fill in our need for better right side d, we may have to walk from Garland for cheap. Good players are going cheap now just for the cap space. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

If you can afford Garland, you keep him around...

During the season there will be teams having wingers getting injured, and then he is a nice little asset to dangle... should definitely bring in more than a 4th...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Klingberg simply can't play well enough in his own zone to be welcome here at any salary.  Keep that useless pylon away from our lineup.

• Upvote 1