The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Klingberg simply can't play well enough in his own zone to be welcome here at any salary.  Keep that useless pylon away from our lineup.

I personally feel that paired with OEL, it offsets any poor play in his own zone, but it would have to come at a discount without other moves.  Either way, I'm not sure a pylon best describes a fleet footed D either.  

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Garland is cost controlled, drives the play, draws penalties and earns every cent of his contract........I have no idea why people would want to move him.  You never get value in a trade equal to what he brings to the team

Exactly this.  Unless you get value on D in return I don't see Garland going anywhere.  He's our cost controlled, much improved version of Pearson.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Garland is cost controlled, drives the play, draws penalties and earns every cent of his contract........I have no idea why people would want to move him.  You never get value in a trade equal to what he brings to the team

He also plays with the kind of heart some fans have mythologized Miller for. Having him on the roster is actually part of why I wouldn't bat an eye at our trading Miller. 

Folks get so caught up in what Miller brings that they sometimes seem to overlook the fact that you can have other players on the roster who bring similar attributes. This isn't to say Miller doesn't have value, that'd be dumb, but he's not the only player capable of bringing what he adds to this roster. Several other NHL rosters seem to have gotten by just fine without Miller. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I personally feel that paired with OEL, it offsets any poor play in his own zone, but it would have to come at a discount without other moves.  Either way, I'm not sure a pylon best describes a fleet footed D either.  

Skating is useless if you're too stupid to play defence.  Scott Stevens in his prime wouldn't be able to make up for how bad Klingberg is defensively.  We're far better off bringing in a defenceman who can actually play acceptable defence.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He also plays with the kind of heart some fans have mythologized Miller for. Having him on the roster is actually part of why I wouldn't bat an eye at our trading Miller. 

Folks get so caught up in what Miller brings that they sometimes seem to overlook the fact that you can have other players on the roster who bring similar attributes. This isn't to say Miller doesn't have value, that'd be dumb, but he's not the only player capable of bringing what he adds to this roster. Several other NHL rosters seem to have gotten by just fine without Miller. 

I really like Miller and Garland at the end of the season and actually thought Garland was the play driver on that line

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Exactly this.  Unless you get value on D in return I don't see Garland going anywhere.  He's our cost controlled, much improved version of Pearson.

I'd do a sign and trade of Boeser long before I move CG, though I doubt that surprises anyone

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never understood this as well. I like Garland, Boeser and Pod down that right side. I may be weird, but depth is kinda cool.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I never understood this as well. I like Garland, Boeser and Pod down that right side. I may be weird, but depth is kinda cool.

Except Mikheyev is a rw as well, so someone is going to have to switch sides, which is going to push Hoglander out of the lineup

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's extremely difficult to make big moves. Just look at OEL and Myers and their big contracts. How do you get rid of their contracts ? How do you trade a player like OEL with this contract given the fact that most teams lack cap space. Once the Arizona/VAN deal was announced on draft day including OEL + Garland / VAN's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Roussel, Loui Player Name and Beagle I wrote that this was the worst trade in Canucks history.

1 year later the new management is trying to trade OEL and Garland.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

The really revealing comment from JR in his most recent interview was, "....you can only do things if you have a partner to do it"

Most people on this board seem to think that Rutherford and Allvin simply go to teams who can't afford to lose a guy on RD (Islanders) and say, GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY...

I think this is how CDC think Rutherford and Allvin treat other GM's...

karate push GIF

Yes.  Most fans live in a dream world when it comes to trades and what their perception of "value" is.

Edited by Metal Face Doom
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

This is true. The only reason he’s mentioned is that other teams don’t want the players that we would really like to off-load.  

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Garland isn’t as robust as Miller,  there was more than one occasion I didn’t think Garland would return , he did,  but to say that dosent take a toll on your body..

Mille will outlast Garland on this team, 

.. and I fully support trading all, or either, Garland , Boeser and Horvat to bring back more players that play like Miller on Forward or D.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Garland isn’t as robust as Miller,  there was more than one occasion I didn’t think Garland would return , he did,  but to say that dosent take a toll on your body..

Mille will outlast Garland on this team, 

.. and I fully support trading all, or either, Garland , Boeser and Horvat to bring back more players that play like Miller on Forward or D.

Eh, we don't agree on Miller so I'm not gonna wade into that. But despite being on the smaller side Garland plays with a lot of heart and thus far has been great bang for his buck in regards to his production vs his cap hit, you can get by with having smaller players on your roster when they play like Garland or Hoglander. Garland also drives play and didn't see the prime powerplay time other players got, at only 26 I don't see why he couldn't have more to give and his contract will take him throughout his prime. 

Maybe he's moved out, but as of right now there are other forwards I'd consider moving before him. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Except Mikheyev is a rw as well, so someone is going to have to switch sides, which is going to push Hoglander out of the lineup

Mikheyev is left handed. We still need to clear cap, I don't see Pearson surviving the offseason. That frees a LW spot for Mikheyev.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Mikheyev is left handed. We still need to clear cap, I don't see Pearson surviving the offseason. That frees a LW spot for Mikheyev.

Although I don't discount the chance that Pearson gets traded, he plays a specific and strategic role for us. A role that most other teams already have someone in place for. What we have that other teams need are offensive upgrades like Miller and Garland. They are the guys who would return what we need to upgrade defense. The depth that we added in free agency, makes one of them expendable, both if the return is other young players who are nearly ready to break into the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.   Thanks.   I like Garland.   "Maybe a 4th rounder ".... I do wonder what people are going to say about Ilya Mik after one season too.   Maybe a 6th rounder?   Hard to say.   Both the eye test and the stats put Garland right there last year...well actually he punched above his cap hit modestly.

No i don't expect him to get 80 points with first line PP minutes.   What was Burrows best season like again with the peak Sedins?    He had four years,  51, 67. 48, and 52.    This team is not that.   And Garland isn't playing with the twins either lol....Maybe we should reserve a lot of judgement, at least for awhile anyways.   Personally i thought Garland gave his most every night.  And like him for it.   Not too shabby for his first year with us at all. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1