The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's what I was saying at the tdl.  Sadly, I think that ship has sailed after the playoffs he had.

Unfortunately,  unlike us, Col has a natural succession order where Byram simply gets Johnson's money after next year.   Sakic would basically have to want to go all in for back to back to let Byram go, but it might be worth it to Col since back to back is still pretty rare...

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Unfortunately,  unlike us, Col has a natural succession order where Byram simply gets Johnson's money after next year.   Sakic would basically have to want to go all in for back to back to let Byram go, but it might be worth it to Col since back to back is still pretty rare...

It’s lame that the league currently requires you to cheer for good contracts and asset management.  That should be an ownership problem.  We as fans should be able to just focus on hockey but this is Bettmans world.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Miller at 50% retained for Byram

Takes a risk on his concussion issues, and iirc he plays the left side on D.

If the Nucks knew for sure that either OEL or Hughes will be good on the right side- and the team has a spot for Rathbone to get traded to, then maybe.

Or maybe the Canucks know a team to flip Byram to, to get that R side d man- and hopefully a possible 3rd line center.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Takes a risk on his concussion issues, and iirc he plays the left side on D.

If the Nucks knew for sure that either OEL or Hughes will be good on the right side- and the team has a spot for Rathbone to get traded to, then maybe.

Or maybe the Canucks know a team to flip Byram to, to get that R side d man- and hopefully a possible 3rd line center.

If an asset like Byram becomes available,  imo, you act immediately and figure out the intricacies of who plays where and with whom later.  I know for certain that Byram has played at least some RD before so there's something to build on at least.  The concussion concern isn't a deal breaker for me by any means after watching the PO...

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yikes, I am starting to believe that we are going into the season with an unsigned Miller.

I was assuming that was JR playing the media.  

Pretty bonkers if it happens as it opens up a big chance of seeing our most valuable trade asset in years walk away for nothing…

Only way he walks for “nothing” is if we go don’t make the playoffs and don’t extend or trade him. None of these scenarios is happening. At the very least we get a playoff run out of him

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Bettman's strings are pulled by the owners- but Gary makes for an easy target.

He makes a great shield or 'beard' for the owners.

One and the same for me.  Targeting Bettman is targeting all 32 owners and their choice of who to represent them.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Lundquvist,Chytil, and a late 1st is getting bent over IMO . If they make that trade, that sets an absolute shit precedence for this management group. I know its a depressed market for players like Miller, but obviously some people dont know the difference between quality and quantity.

I think you're ignoring a key component of my statement and focusing on a single aspect to push your narrative.

You're saying you'd rather get absolutely nothing than get Lundqvist, Chytil and a 1st round back?  As I have stated, this has nothing to do with quality or quantity, and whether the trade value is fair in present term, since we cannot foresee Lundqvist and the 1st rounds full potential.  It is a hypothetical question asking if you'd rather put your pride on the line than the well-being of the team, IF the aforementioned trade is indeed the best offer we receive for Miller.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Only way he walks for “nothing” is if we go don’t make the playoffs and don’t extend or trade him. None of these scenarios is happening. At the very least we get a playoff run out of him

We often disagree but I strongly agree with you here.  Having JT Miller and deciding what to do with him is a great problem to have.  Worst case scenario isn’t awful no matter how you look at it.  It’s just potentially disappointing to not get what you hoped for most.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

and they'll be looking to move Girard as well, imo.

20 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

that's lost for nothing.  Do you think fans in Calgary don't think they lost JG for nothing?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You forgot the other scenarios.  We are somewhere remotely close to the playoff bar at the deadline and don’t trade him AND miss the playoffs (exactly what happened last season)… or we aren’t near the playoff race and he gets hurt right around the deadline and is untradeable.  It isn’t very likely that we are a team at the top of the standings when the deadline decision needs to be made.

One short playoff run with Miller isn’t some sort of win either.  Not compared with assets that could set us up to be a regular playoff team with an actual realistic chance.

There is also the scenario of only getting a trade price of him as a pure rental (very late 1st and a middling prospect) as teams would want to know if they could extend him before offering more.  If he gets that close to UFA there is little motivation for him re-signing right away instead of testing the market or just getting to choose his landing spot.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

You forgot the other scenarios.  We are somewhere remotely close to the playoff bar at the deadline and don’t trade him AND miss the playoffs (exactly what happened last season)… or we aren’t near the playoff race and he gets hurt right around the deadline and is untradeable.  It isn’t very likely that we are a team at the top of the standings when the deadline decision needs to be made.

One short playoff run with Miller isn’t some sort of win either.  Not compared with assets that could set us up to be a regular playoff team with an actual realistic chance.

There is also the scenario of only getting a trade price of him as a pure rental (very late 1st and a middling prospect) as teams would want to know if they could extend him before offering more.  If he gets that close to UFA there is little motivation for him re-signing right away instead of testing the market or just getting to choose his landing spot.

The Office Yes GIF

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Oh boy, I really hope JR isn't content with "just getting a playoff run" out of him. We'd be essentially losing one of our biggest assets for zilch. 

I agree that this is the least desirable outcome.  

What if there is no perfect option though?  No good trade offer and no possibility of signing a deal that benefits the team?  I doubt it will come to this but there’s a chance.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I agree that this is the least desirable outcome.  

What if there is no perfect option though?  No good trade offer and no possibility of signing a deal that benefits the team?  I doubt it will come to this but there’s a chance.

I agree that there's a chance. 

I think the difference between a good and bad GM is being able to avoid such an outcome. It'll be Allvin's first big test. 

• Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

I think you're ignoring a key component of my statement and focusing on a single aspect to push your narrative.

You're saying you'd rather get absolutely nothing than get Lundqvist, Chytil and a 1st round back?  As I have stated, this has nothing to do with quality or quantity, and whether the trade value is fair in present term, since we cannot foresee Lundqvist and the 1st rounds full potential.  It is a hypothetical question asking if you'd rather put your pride on the line than the well-being of the team, IF the aforementioned trade is indeed the best offer we receive for Miller.

I’d rather have Miller for a playoff run than the quantity of “B” assets that are being offered up.

If the return on Miller is going to be even less this upcoming TDL . I’d rather keep him (if we’re in a playoff spot) and just let  him walk at the end of the year.