The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

13 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So you agree with 1-2M per is not that significant of a reduction to stay where he is happy but you also say half the teams would meet his standards? 

List me 16 cities that match Vancouver’s level. There is a reason why home prices are so high here. How many NHL cities have beaches, mountains and high end neighbourhoods like here? Not to mention the milder weather in the winters (you can scratch away all the eastern US and other Canadian cities).

Tell me how many coaches and teams have given him the same opportunities and confidence as he has here. He is a go to guy in Vancouver and that’s big for a player.  Would he be guaranteed the same role with half of these other teams? Maybe. Maybe not.

He is also particularly tight with a lot of players here. Working around friends is also big. We’ve seen lots of videos. Does he have other friends in other teams? Sure, but he has only played on a couple teams prior to coming here. Not exactly half the NHL. 

lol, am I on the Leafs site or is Vancouver the new center of the universe? Give me a break every city in the NHL is great to live in when you're making $9 mil a season. Let's be realistic. Maybe if he just loves rain it would be here or Seattle, or Boston. He might like the players and team and such but he's also not 12 years old. I doubt friends are his top priority or that he has trouble making them. He can find good players and friends elsewhere as well and he definitely knows it. I don't think his decision will be based solely on the mountain skyline either and they have high end neighborhoods and beaches everywhere by the way. Plus there is better weather just about anywhere else.

It's pretty clear he would consider Van, but only if they show him the money.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So you agree with 1-2M per is not that significant of a reduction to stay where he is happy but you also say half the teams would meet his standards? 

List me 16 cities that match Vancouver’s level. There is a reason why home prices are so high here. How many NHL cities have beaches, mountains and high end neighbourhoods like here? Not to mention the milder weather in the winters (you can scratch away all the eastern US and other Canadian cities).

Tell me how many coaches and teams have given him the same opportunities and confidence as he has here. He is a go to guy in Vancouver and that’s big for a player.  Would he be guaranteed the same role with half of these other teams? Maybe. Maybe not.

He is also particularly tight with a lot of players here. Working around friends is also big. We’ve seen lots of videos. Does he have other friends in other teams? Sure, but he has only played on a couple teams prior to coming here. Not exactly half the NHL. 

Depends what Miller values. If he loved Vancouver so much he’d probably be signed already and team friendly. He’d probably prefer to play here if we pay him what he wants. 

At least to me it seems management wants Miller back but doesn’t want to commit too hard with him. Whether that be for cap related or future outlook reasons idk. 

I am thinking Miller did that interview to low key put some pressure on management. Reports stating that you’re far apart then the player comes out with that sort of interview. Could be that he’d prefer to get a deal done prior to the season being underway considering his agent’s remarks. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

NYC 

NJ

Tampa

Sunrise

LA

Ana

Denver

Sea

SJ

Raleigh

Nash

Dal

Pit

All cities he'd probably have ahead of or equal to Vancouver, in terms of lifestyle

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

It's tough. It's all perspective and to be frank unless you have talked to him it is simply your perspective. It's not wrong, simply your take.

For example, I HATE rain. Vancouver has undoubtedly one of the worst winters.

I also hate crossing the border and flying. Therefore, my priorities would be different.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It has occurred to me that all my stress worrying about losing JT for peanuts could simply be because I'm not used to our team having competent management who know what the heck they're doing and how to play that contract game. The days of telegraphing trades, needs, hopes and dreams to the 31 other GM's appear to be over. Harder on fans but hopefully the payoff will be well worth it..

God I can only hope. :(

• Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

that might be wishful thinking...

It might be, but since we've been discussing JTs latest comments on the JS podcast, it might not be. He seems to also be surprised at last year's production, which might mean that he's not asking for as much as some people think he is and we're closer to a deal than we all think or the media has been reporting. 

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It might be, but since we've been discussing JTs latest comments on the JS podcast, it might not be. He seems to also be surprised at last year's production, which might mean that he's not asking for as much as some people think he is and we're closer to a deal than we all think or the media has been reporting. 

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

It has occurred to me that all my stress worrying about losing JT for peanuts could simply be because I'm not used to our team having competent management who know what the heck they're doing and how to play that contract game. The days of telegraphing trades, needs, hopes and dreams to the 31 other GM's appear to be over. Harder on fans but hopefully the payoff will be well worth it..

God I can only hope. :(

JB's only significant faux pas was keeping Green past his expiry date.  He made some good picks and some good trades and built a pretty good core of players that will grow together.

He made mistakes, but that's true of every GM.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's tough. It's all perspective and to he frank unless you have talked to him it is simply your perspective. It's not wrong, simply your take.

For example, I HATE rain. Vancouver has undoubtedly one of the worst winters.

I also hate crossing the border and flying. Therefore, my priorities would be different.

Exactly. To think the only people in North America who enjoy a quality life is in Vancouver is silly. For a grown adult life is mostly what you make of it and that isn't solely dependent on living in Vancouver. If we lived in Eastern Europe or near Russia or something statements like that might have some merit.

Like you I would personally think crossing the border and flying is a big issue, especially for JT's wife during the season and the entire family when they go to Pittsburgh for the summer. Does Natalie really want to be dragging 3 kids through customs all the time?

It all depends on JT's perspective and nobody but he and his family and agent know what that is.

Edited by Gawdzukes

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Would the Leafs do something around sandin, whose negotiations are going nowhere, for a miller rental to actually get them out of round one?

Sandin is not the gonna solve our right side of Defense. If they want to dangle Lil Timmy then I think we would listen.  

Interviewing Season 9 GIF by The Office

I gotta wonder ehat VAN’s ask or trade framework is.

If theyre holding out for certain position pieces it would make sense why this has dragged out so long.

Im of the mind that it would be ok to just pick up futures.  This team does need some more bets in the pipeline. And if you can have a short term deal worked out for Rodriguez (I was hoping for even Lammikko before he signed in europe) as your 3rd C-I say pull the trigger. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I gotta wonder ehat VAN’s ask or trade framework is.

If theyre holding out for certain position pieces it would make sense why this has dragged out so long.

Im of the mind that it would be ok to just pick up futures.  This team does need some more bets in the pipeline. And if you can have a short term deal worked out for Rodriguez (I was hoping for even Lammikko before he signed in europe) as your 3rd C-I say pull the trigger. 

Yeah I'm totally down for futures and cap space if there are no RD's available. We have lots of forwards and a couple years to get where we're going. Unfortunately I don't think JR and Allvin will settle for anything less than a ready or near ready piece.

Agree 100% on Rodriguez as well for 3C if we did that.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol, am I on the Leafs site or is Vancouver the new center of the universe? Give me a break every city in the NHL is great to live in when you're making $9 mil a season. Let's be realistic. Maybe if he just loves rain it would be here or Seattle, or Boston. He might like the players and team and such but he's also not 12 years old. I doubt friends are his top priority or that he has trouble making them. He can find good players and friends elsewhere as well and he definitely knows it. I don't think his decision will be based solely on the mountain skyline either and they have high end neighborhoods and beaches everywhere by the way. Plus there is better weather just about anywhere else.

It's pretty clear he would consider Van, but only if they show him the money.

You don’t get the point. I never said this precludes Van from paying up. The discussion was whether other factors would come into play when you sign a big contract and take 1-2M less per year. Plenty of players have done so in the past so I’m not sure why that’s so hard for you to get.

I also never said any of the issues I brought up on their own were “top priority”. Follow along. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

You don’t get the point. I never said this precludes Van from paying up. The discussion was whether other factors would come into play when you sign a big contract and take 1-2M less per year. Plenty of players have done so in the past so I’m not sure why that’s so hard for you to get.

I also never said any of the issues I brought up on their own were “top priority”. Follow along. 

Ah well it just sounded like pure desperate homerism. Like as if no other city compares or offers any incentives or anything. Or that's what hockey players even base their decisions on. Again, sure Vancouver is a great city but let's not pretend other places have nothing to offer in comparison.

List me 16 cities that match Vancouver’s level. There is a reason why home prices are so high here. How many NHL cities have beaches, mountains and high end neighbourhoods like here? Not to mention the milder weather in the winters (you can scratch away all the eastern US and other Canadian cities).

Are players really taking $2 mil less per year, who is that?

It might have read better as "if JT loves the mountains more than anything in life we got a real good shot here".

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Do you think I've taken a hard stance on this hypothesizing, or something?

Not at all, I think you make good points, I just think history has shown us that players go where the money is, that teams find ways to fit on big salaries and JT is going to get paid, big time.

• Upvote 1