The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

10 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

“One question looming is whether or not J.T Miller agent Brian Bartlett will cut off contract talks once the regular season starts, “I have not talked to J.T about that yet but it is a realistic possibility.””

‘Miller told the Dropping the Gloves podcast last week that playing in Vancouver while extension talks are ongoing would be a distraction.”

Take that for what it’s worth, maybe gamemanship, maybe nothing. I think we need a trade soon.

this is a bit of a red herring. OK he can 'cut off' discussions, but there aren't discussions anyway at the moment. Not sure its the worst idea either, it ends endless contract questions and pushes all the media speculation around the TDL.

Come trade time, the Canucks make one more contract offer attempt or have to move him, pretty simple. 

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

Not at all, I think you make good points, I just think history has shown us that players go where the money is, that teams find ways to fit on big salaries and JT is going to get paid, big time.

Sometimes, when players like where they are, like what the team is doing, like their role and place on the team, etc., they get a deal done that works for them and the team. You sound so adamant about him wanting a massive payday but it's just as possible he does compromise to stay here in Vancouver. Kadri signing somewhere is really going to be a big deciding factor and telling for us all, even miller, on what value we can really expect.

16 hours ago, combover said:

regardless I’d be more surprised to see miller resigned than traded. 
i be more shocked if miller took less than what he and is agent feel he’d get as a UFA next summer. 
He set his price high 
His alleged contract ask of 9 mill is enough that it’s hurt his trade value and most likely one of the reasons he hasn’t  been moved and a great way of saying I’m going to be a UFA without say I’m going to be UFA .

but I really want to stay with this cap crunched team 

jr/pa could crush all this and simply say he’s not going anywhere we’re not trading him they haven’t. 
They haven’t even said that’s hes a big part of the future of this team like they said about horvat and brock. 
What they have said they’d like to keep him and he’s a great player. - that reads pretty clear to me. 

goodbye JT 

At this stage, with no good value trade offers (ostensibly), camp coming up, the season starting and the risk of distraction and losing him for nothing, I'd be more surprised if we don't sign him. 

Everything is just starting to seem like JR & Co have been playing brinksmanship in order to get the$ down, just like they did with Brock. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, AlphaNuck said:

Why is management getting all this praise? They came in guns a blazing and all they have done is trade hamonic and sign some UFA’s 

I don’t get it, Jim benning could have made that trade or signings 

Agreed.  
The guys have done nothing but lip service so far.  
I personally don’t see what all the hype is about with management. 
JR has a pretty meh resume. 
Anyone will win cups with Crosby, Malkin and Letang in their prime.  
He rode Crosby to the HOF
His trades have mostly sucked as well. 
Then he hires 50 people who have never actually done their current jobs before. 
And we are all supposed to be super impressed.  

I’ve seen them fumble making cap space. 
Fumble JT since last deadline. 
Overpay for free agents. 
They couldn’t even unload DiPietro who won’t even have a spot in the AHL this year. 

I think Benning was one of the worst GMs we have ever had, but at least he took some swings. 
I’ve only seen JRs lips swing. 

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

This '2 - 7 years from now window opening' is more tired than people not wanting 'just picks for Miller'.

Our 'window' is right now: wide open.

(Good mngt; good coaching; 3 great centers; 9 very good wingers; some added grit; world-class goalie; 2 world-class D and a team-lovin' 6 and a half foot monster D.)

This team is ready right now; RD weak or not.

Planning to fail for a couple years is just crapola imo.

And all successful teams end up with top players overpaid in the last years of their big contracts; it is how the cap works.

I do not fear JT getting overpaid a couple years at the end of his new deal; especially as he will have a swimming pool full of

Stanley Cups!

You know that cup ready team you just described, couldn’t even make the playoffs right…?

Tampa and Colorado steamrolled teams much better than ours.  

We have a LONG way to go before the window opens. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You know that cup ready team you just described, couldn’t even make the playoffs right…?

It is weak-minded posts like this that keep you on "Ignore".

You know you ignored the team's performance under new coaching right?

Et cetera ad nauseum.

Other teams were better; we'll never get there; who needs this?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

This '2 - 7 years from now window opening' is more tired than people not wanting 'just picks for Miller'.

Our 'window' is right now: wide open.

(Good mngt; good coaching; 3 great centers; 9 very good wingers; some added grit; world-class goalie; 2 world-class D and a team-lovin' 6 and a half foot monster D.)

This team is ready right now; RD weak or not.

Planning to fail for a couple years is just crapola imo.

And all successful teams end up with top players overpaid in the last years of their big contracts; it is how the cap works.

I do not fear JT getting overpaid a couple years at the end of his new deal; especially as he will have a swimming pool full of

Stanley Cups!

The window is not quite wide open. We don't even know if we'll make the playoffs and we just replaced half of our forwards lol. Is Dickinson one of those "very good" wingers? :shock:

12 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yup. Our window has been "open" for 4 years and we made the fake playoffs once due to a technicality. I call this putting the cart before the horse.

This team may indeed prove to be worthy this season but it also may not. There within lies the conundrum. I'm almost coming around on waiting until Christmas to settle the debate. Mainly because I'm running out of steam arguing with @JM_ :P. If we're top 2 in the division then sign Miller to a death contract and run with the wolves, otherwise trade him and build for the future.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The window is not quite wide open. We don't even know if we'll make the playoffs and we just replaced half of our forwards lol. Is Dickinson one of those "very good" wingers? :shock:

Yup. Our window has been "open" for 4 years and we made the fake playoffs once due to a technicality. I call this putting the cart before the horse.

This team may indeed prove to be worthy this season but it also may not. There within lies the conundrum. I'm almost coming around on waiting until Christmas to settle the debate. Mainly because I'm running out of steam arguing with @JM_ :P. If we're top 2 in the division then sign Miller to a death contract and run with the wolves, otherwise trade him and build for the future.

More similar stuff; back on "Ignore" for you too.

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm actually not really arguing with you, I'm just stating what I'd prefer to see happen. Your view may very well be the correct one. 

I just think for the most part we have what we have for a competitive team while we still have Demko. Its so hard to make major moves in the NHL now I'd rather just see us go for it with the current group. One more RHD and I think we can make some noise in the playoffs. 

If not, blow this mo-fo up and rebuild "correctly" as you guys like to say. 

Its the middle-meh plans I don't want to see. Step back yada yada. Thats the path most likely to produce meh, as I see it. 

Edited by JM_

14 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

It is weak-minded posts like this that keep you on "Ignore".

You know you ignored the team's performance under new coaching right?

Et cetera ad nauseum.

Other teams were better; we'll never get there; who needs this?

I just took you off recently as well.  
Let’s see how long it lasts.  

I didnt ignore anything. 
We all saw an improved team under Bruce.  
Still not good enough. 
There is still a lot of work to go. 

We have our #1 goalie u see a great contract. 
Same as our #1 dman, who keeps getting better. 

Our wingers leave a lot to be desired, but not awful….. just over paid (Boeser and Ilya). 

Couple years from now, Podz will be a deal breaker. 

Our dmen are over paid and under performing.   Only 1 of them is worth their cheque. 
Our bottom 6 is a mishmash of meh.  

No matter what you believe, it doesn’t mean facts aren’t facts. 
We missed the playoffs.  
The team isn’t good enough to do that, let alone win the cup.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

More similar stuff; back on "Ignore" for you too.

Just because I didn't agree with you? I thought I was quite civil and clear in my wording but that's your perogative. I don't put people on ignore just because we have differing opinions, that's what the forum is for isn't it?

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm actually not really arguing with you, I'm just stating what I'd prefer to see happen. Your view may very well be the correct one. 

I just think for the most part we have what we have for a competitive team while we still have Demko. Its so hard to make major moves in the NHL now I'd rather just see us go for it with the current group. One more RHD and I think we can make some noise in the playoffs. 

If not, blow this mo-fo up and rebuild "correctly" as you guys like to say. 

Its the middle-meh plans I don't want to see. Step back yada yada. Thats the path most likely to produce meh, as I see it. 

I'm totally joking I enjoy our little debates but like you say 'Your view may very well be the correct one', and at this point I'd rather actually just see which view is correct and actually just get behind the team whatever choice is made.

I don't really see it as a step back more so just correcting the mistaken fundamentals before we move on. Your way is definitely more exciting in the short term for sure.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Are the Avalanche even a feasible trading partner with all their ELCs/cheap contracts that’ll be needing a raise in the near future? 

Probably just as a rental but you never know. If they really wanted to they could try to fit him in I think. That's a team it might make sense to give a discount to if he's hellbent on winning.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who said anything about planning to fail? I expect the team to continue to push for playoffs this year after we move Miller.

So who's going to fill in for him and all those missing points?