The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

If Miller is everything the pro Miller camp says he is, then Miller should be signed for $10M x 8yrs…right???

Cuz he will get over ppg in the next few years.  If his production drops, it’s OK cuz he’s good at faceoffs and plays defense.  But that’s not likely to happen as he’s a stud.  He’s the next Joe Pavelski!!!

:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, BPA said:

The thing is Miller may be wanting a retirement contract of $9M x 8yrs.  Should Canucks seriously be offering that?

Look at the overall body of Millers career.  Posters are citing his ppg over his 3yrs as a Canuck while ignoring his earlier years.  Last year was his career year 99pts and most likely will drop to his near ppg (70-80pts).  That’s still good but not sure if it’s worth a $9M contract.  And given his age, statistically there will be a drop in production in his latter years. Hence JR/PA not wanting to give max term (rumoured 6yrs).

I’m comfortable with a max $8M x 6yrs.  Unfortunately I think Miller wants max pay and term.

I have only seen a few handful of pro Miller camp actually post what max contact they would be willing to get Miller re-signed.  That says a lot.  Just only seen “the cap will go up”. 

I don't think anyone is saying sign the guy at all costs. Obviously there is a limit and none of us no where they are in those discussions. If he doesn't want to be here or he is asking for too much ,then obviously we will need to get what we can for him.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think anyone is saying sign the guy at all costs. Obviously there is a limit and none of us no where they are in those discussions. If he doesn't want to be here or he is asking for too much ,then obviously we will need to get what we can for him.

There have been a rare few-about the same amount that want Miller gone, no matter what.

As with any player it comes down to money and term. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, mll said:

Picks and maybe they have prospects that Vancouver likes after all.   If it's not with Colorado, there should be enough teams interested in Miller at the TDL and he doesn't have a trade clause so they can ship him anywhere.

Maybe as secondary pieces, sure... You feel free to point out the ones that would be enough to get Miller as the key piece. We'll wait here.

You don't think other teams would/could outbid some B prospects and likely 32nd OA?

Therefore, Miller isn't going to Colorado for just prospects and picks. Ergo... Follow the breadcrumbs mll, you'll get there 

4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Because there is a very good chance that Miller has negative value to the team by the time we are ready to contend.  If Miller is no longer the same guy in a few years then you have to find someone like him anyway.  Except that now we have less assets AND less cap space.  Why put ourselves in that position?

Bingo. This has nothing to do with how good Miller may be today. How good is Miller in 3+ years and for how much cap, is the problem here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Yes we will

760085C1-F080-4810-B274-4BC4BA7F3137.gif

Life lessons can be painful, physically, emotionally and financially.

This guy got two out of three- unless he was in the US, and had to pay the doctor bill.

In which  case, trifecta!

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How would a sign and trade even work? VAN would need to make sure the contract would work for NJ, for example. I know these types of trades happen, was just curious how complex they can be. Is that possibly why this is taking so long?

I keep thinking to when JR/PA said the core would be: Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Horvat.  There was never any mention of Miller being a part of the core. Has that now changed?

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How would a sign and trade even work? VAN would need to make sure the contract would work for NJ, for example. I know these types of trades happen, was just curious how complex they can be. Is that possibly why this is taking so long?

I keep thinking to when JR/PA said the core would be: Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Horvat.  There was never any mention of Miller being a part of the core. Has that now changed?

omg what have I started? this idea has to take us to 1350 pages at least. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

omg what have I started? this idea has to take us to 1350 pages at least. 

Please do expand on your thoughts.....we need to get to 2000 before anything happens.

I'll just add this to NUCKER67, what GMs say can always be changed with the right offer, sudden changes in team dynamics, etc. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So if NJ were the team for the sign and trade. Who would you like coming back our way, realistically of course. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Florida and Calgary made it work for Tkachuk, was a first in the NHL I think

11 hours ago, BPA said:

Capfriendly says Nyquist is 33yr and is on his last year (of a 4yr contract).  He will be UFA after the season.

Leaving out that “last year” made it seem Nyquist has a contract that lasts another 4yrs until he’s age 37yr.

Gustav Nyquist signed a 4 year / $22,000,000 contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets, including $22,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,500,000. In 2022-23

You're right...I have to learn NOT to skim and scan....