The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller will be with VAN next season, and for (5-6) more seasons after.  I think they'll re-sign him in the off season, so it's not a distraction all season. 

But I don't see these players on the team to start the 22/23 season:

Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Dickinson, Chiasson, Hamonic, Hunt and Halak 

K’Andre Miller??? :bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And that's fine, I've no issue with that. You think one way, some folks think another. 

I'm not guaranteeing he doesn't sign here, but I will argue that I think it's unlikely because I do think it's unlikely. 

Bottom line is none of us really know what's going on behind closed doors, we've just got our opinions, views, and ideas of how to build this team. 

Really? I'm surprised you two get along. 

Like I said, opinions are fine.  When they're stated as fact, I argue the hell out of them lol

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Miller can also sign an 8 year deal with Vancouver vs only a 7 year deal with the other 31 teams.

8m x 8 = 64m with Vancouver 

9m x 7 = 63m with 31 other teams

The point is, WAIT AND SEE.  Geez...

Nobody knows what will happen but you can weigh the odds and speculate given the circumstances you’re dealt with. 

I feel if he does re-sign that there could be chance he uses other teams as leverage in order get the most out of his next contract. It’s a tactic used frequently. 

I think he can get 9M on the open market. Maybe more. He’s playing like a 9M forward. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nobody knows what will happen but you can weigh the odds and speculate given the circumstances you’re dealt with. 

I feel if he does re-sign that there could be chance he uses other teams as leverage in order get the most out of his next contract. It’s a tactic used frequently. 

I think he can get 9M on the open market. Maybe more. He’s playing like a 9M forward. 

I don't disagree.  But as I've shown, he can get more money overall by signing for 8 years with Vancouver.  Yes, I know about taxes and what not, but those teams also need $9m in cap space to fit him in.

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Like I said, opinions are fine.  When they're stated as fact, I argue the hell out of them lol

And that's fine, that's what forums are for after all

I do hope you folks who'd rather keep Miller realize it's nothing personal, despite all of us getting testy at times, or that's how I'd like it to be 

I don't think any less of folks for wanting to build the team a certain way, they just see things differently than I do 

If we do end up retaining Miller I just hope things work out, but I've got serious apprehensions about signing older players to long and expensive deals 

Guess we'll see, we have no impact on what happens one way or the other 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 4

Just now, Coconuts said:

And that's fine, that's what forums are for after all

I do hope you folks who'd rather keep Miller realize it's nothing personal, despite all of us getting testy at times, or that's how I'd like it to be 

I don't think any less of folks for wanting to build the team a certain way, they just see things differently than I do 

If we do end up retaining Miller I just hope things work out, but I've got serious apprehensions about signing older players to long and expensive deals 

Guess we'll see, we have no impact on what happens one way or the other 

Yeah I know for the most part it's all friendly banter.  There are a few that outright use personal insults, but my skin is thick enough that I make a bazillion threads on here anyways knowing I'll take a beating lol.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't disagree.  But as I've shown, he can get more money overall by signing for 8 years with Vancouver.  Yes, I know about taxes and what not, but those teams also need $9m in cap space to fit him in.

There are a lot of variables to consider. A lot more than just an extra year with us. 

The off-season is the time for teams to consider these things. You’re given extra cap space to work with. We’re no different than most teams if not worse given being up against the cap(as Rutherford has pointed out). We’re in for some tough decisions. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

There are a lot of variables to consider. A lot more than just an extra year with us. 

The off-season is the time for teams to consider these things. You’re given extra cap space to work with. We’re no different than most teams if not worse given being up against the cap(as Rutherford has pointed out). We’re in for some tough decisions. 

No doubt.  There's just not a lot of true contenders with the cap space for Miller... assuming it's $9m+ AAV.  Gonna be interesting for sure...

When Miller speaks, the owners listen. I think he may have played a part in the changes early in the season, screaming at Green "We don't know what we're doing!". He calls it like it is.  After last night's game, Miller said how much he loves the black skate jerseys and wishes they could wear them every home game. What are the odds that Miller gets re-signed and the Canucks go back to the skate jersey? I can kind of see it happening. 

• Cheers 1

Reading a few things today about the contenders for the cup this year.  One of the articles was making a lot out of Florida lacking veteran leadership depth and being poor in the face-off circle.    This got my mind to wondering if there was a hockey trade to be made here.  

What would you guys think about JT Miller for Sam Reinhardt?   We get younger and get a winger/center back for Miller Florida in exchange gets a guy who can win a draw and provide veteran leadership.  Both are PPG type players.  

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The Miller trade will likely require more than draft picks.  Nucks will want the 1st, a really good prospect and a good young nhl player.  Teams like the Rangers are still young, so their window several years.  It's the aging teams that want 1 last go at the SC that would be interested, but rarely have the pieces that the Nucks would want.  Seriously, look at the proposal thread; Capitals, Penquins, Vegas, Bruins, Blues etc.  These teams really don't have much of what the Canucks want.  They will probably pick up the pending UFA guys that are being dangled.

I don't see a decent trade for Miller right now and that's why the trade 'talk' has died down.  I think they will keep him and trade him in the offseason or sometime next season.

the rangers you can argue the window is now and now several years.. while they are a young team with lots of young player. they are already in cap trouble starting next season with losing guranateed losing strome this off season and still have to sign kakko and then bigger trouble the following season with k miller chytil lafreniere to sign.. basically rangers peak is now and they are going to lose whatever depth and young players on elc they have as each year goes. kreider and panarin are 30.. maybe u get couple more great year off of them that's no guranateed to best chance for rangers is to go for it this and next season before panarin and kreider hits 32 33 34 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

Reading a few things today about the contenders for the cup this year.  One of the articles was making a lot out of Florida lacking veteran leadership depth and being poor in the face-off circle.    This got my mind to wondering if there was a hockey trade to be made here.  

What would you guys think about JT Miller for Sam Reinhardt?   We get younger and get a winger/center back for Miller Florida in exchange gets a guy who can win a draw and provide veteran leadership.  Both are PPG type players.  

From the Pantyers I'd want nothing less than Lundell

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

He WILL be an $8.5m to $9m cap hit!

Show you're work then.

Some recent examples for you...

Barkov - $10mx8 (on a contender AND a low tax state)

Duchene - $8mx7 (inferior player)

Zibanejad - $8.5x8 (arguably closest comparable)

Seguin - $9.85x8

Couturier - $7.75x8 ( the lone, remotely recent, sub $8m, comparable contract)

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Show you're work then.

Some recent examples for you...

Barkov - $10mx8 (on a contender AND a low tax state)

Duchene - $8mx7 (inferior player)

Zibanejad - $8.5x8 (arguably closest comparable)

Seguin - $9.85x8

Couturier - $7.75x8 ( the lone, remotely recent, sub $8m, comparable contract)

I see Miller not re-signing here unless we grossly overpay.  So to get the cap to where it would be if he signed down south (7.5) we will need to add term.  We can get him at 7.5 but it's going to take an 8 year term.  A team down south will get him at 7.5 by 6 years.  

Just now, Alflives said:

I see Miller not re-signing here unless we grossly overpay.  So to get the cap to where it would be if he signed down south (7.5) we will need to add term.  We can get him at 7.5 but it's going to take an 8 year term.  A team down south will get him at 7.5 by 6 years.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All but one of those deals were 8 years. Miller's agent is going to be asking for those dollar figures at max (7 or 8) term. The only way I see him signing for anything near $7.5m is on a contender, in a low tax state.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

he can get that in the US, in a state with very very low income taxe, I mean, why wouldn't he?  This is it, his last chance at a real payday, you can bet he's going to squeeze for every penny

17 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

And the Rangers just got beaten 1-0 losing on a power play goal to Rutherford's old team. A point per game forward who plays PK may have helped... :P

What?  Bustaroo Laugher or Crappo didn't score?  The Rags are stupidos if they don't go all in right now and pay whatever our Chipmunk is demanding for Milelr.  Their goalie is playing fabulous, and they have an aging core (except Fox).  It's all or nothing right now for them. Miller would give them two kicks at the can too.  

Miller to the Rags

for

Chytil

Schneider

2022 first 

• Vintage 1