The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Only scenario I see him going is to Colorado now, if he’s moved! They have the assets and with Giroux saying he wants to go to Florida and Hertl resigning, he’s definitely the #1 target for them. I see Newhook or Byram being on the table here, you aren’t getting both but I’m sure we will get the option of either or. I really hope we don’t pass up on the opportunity as much as I like JT and what he brings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Since it looks like no Miller to NYR, how would folks feel about Garland for Nils Lundkvist 1:1? 

NYR may make a last super offer on Miller that the Canucks can’t refuse.  Motte for a 1st from Tampa and then  trade the Chaos Giraffe  for a couple picks.

Edited by Screw

I’m not advocating either way about keeping or trading Miller in this post, but the question I have is with this record / trajectory, the players we have under contract right now, why is there much less talk about potentially readjusting the timeline for the retool/rebuild until the TDL next year and giving this team, with some tweaks and upgrades, a chance to prove they can actually push deep in the playoffs?

PA/JR/FA (to a degree) have stated where this franchise needs to head, but that was attached to a listless, highly underperforming Travis Green “coached” team. That tune hasn’t changed all that much under Bruce, and yes eventually  we have to get younger and cheaper, but given the track record now, and some decent assets to trade off (eg. Boeser or Garland), with both OEL and Myers at their current age/production vs contract (more so OEL), does anybody think we might see one more year of this club held together, with additions, before it’s dissected? 

I realize right now they aren’t built to withstand the attrition. Considering most of our moves should happen off-season,

would anyone be surprised or disappointed if mgmt backtracked and charted a different course? Because  if we are to re-sign Miller, I don’t think there is a significant rebuild/retool until after this team, with this mgmt’s tweaks, is truly exhausted as being just not good enough.

Apologies, I don’t mean to rehash a tired discussion on build or break down. 

I just wonder when you look at the record and some of the high level teams we’ve been able to compete with, and now with that Hertl deal as a reference point… if the rumour is we really are interested in signing Miller to term, in my eyes, it means we are still focused on the playoffs for the next 2-3 years minimum. 

otherwise, it is pointless to even offer him a contract, no?

we can’t compete with the COL’s or FLA’s of the league, and likely won’t be able to for a couple seasons, so almost seems like a pipe dream right now to think we are going to re-up Miller long term. 

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Since it looks like no Miller to NYR, how would folks feel about Garland for Nils Lundkvist 1:1? 

I'm in ... in a heartbeat. I think this guy has tremendous upside. A great first move at building up the right side of D. We are so missing a slicker player who can play with elite forwards there.

Add a Schnieder type prospect and support with bigger stay at home D's and that's a defence that can excel

Hughes Schnieder

OEL Manson

K.Miller Lundqvist

Oops I just stole all of the Rags D youth.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm in ... in a heartbeat. I think this guy has tremendous upside. A great first move at building up the right side of D. We are so missing a slicker player who can play with elite forwards there.

Add a Schnieder type prospect and support with bigger stay at home D's and that's a defence that can excel

Hughes Schnieder

OEL Manson

K.Miller Lundqvist

Lundqvist is 170 pounds.  He's need to be Hughes level of greatness to be effective in the NHL.  We have Bone, who we know is great, so it makes no sense to gamble on a very small D man.  We need a replacement for Schenn in two years. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lundqvist is 170 pounds.  He's need to be Hughes level of greatness to be effective in the NHL.  We have Bone, who we know is great, so it makes no sense to gamble on a very small D man.  We need a replacement for Schenn in two years. 

Nah he's 5'11, 190 and only 21.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210202

Did you miss my Manson add on line 2? ;)

And Bone is not a good fit behind Hughes and OEL. Too one dimensional. That's the spot we need a big hard hitter in.

Edited by Gawdzukes

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hughes Schnieder

OEL Manson

K.Miller Lundqvist

I like Prokup out of Nashville too, maybe not as highly routed, but I think he's going to be a solid dman.......hes got good size and skates well

• Vintage 1

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts on Vancouver:

13. One executive was talking about Vancouver and Winnipeg. He said he didn’t envy those teams making hockey decisions with the financial losses they’ve suffered from lack of crowds. They’ve worked their way into playoff contention, although the math isn’t on their side. In a lot of years, you might punt, but with everything that’s gone on the last two years, a playoff race and a postseason round is incredibly enticing. The Jets’ biggest decisions will likely come this summer, with Andrew Copp and Paul Stastny pressing in the moment. Copp’s got a lot of interest, in particular. Colorado for sure. Boston loves versatile forwards, and he is one.

14. The Canucks don’t have to rush (other than Motte) and seem prepared to wait until the summer unless either someone forces them to reconsider or a player they covet drops on their lap. One example would be Pittsburgh defenceman John Marino, but, as mentioned last weekend, it’s a difficult match. For one thing, the Penguins like their vibe and aren’t inclined to tinker too much with it. For another, with several tricky negotiations to come, they don’t want more. Los Angeles and Boston have checked in for some scoring, just not sure if it happens right now. Don’t see J.T. Miller going anywhere at this time; see that as a postseason conversation, including what it would take to re-sign him.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1