The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Where would the Canucks be if they never traded the 1sts in 2020 and 2021?

LE, Roussel, Beagle contracts would all be coming to an end, $12 million off the books. 

Be nice to have Barron and Guenther + in the system, and a lot of cap to play with. Sure, the Canucks would've been a non-playoff team and near the bottom, but that's exactly what they are now, with nothing in the prospect pool.  

Miller, OEL and Garland have been real good, but who knows where this team would be today if Benning had more patience.

Say what now? 

The hell are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What if the main piece was a top prospect or top 5 pick?

A team with a top 5 pick isn't taking Miller. Those in the top 5 are rebuilding, not looking for older players. So unless you're willing to roll the dice on an upgrade moving Petey or Hughes give up the notion of a top 5 pick. They may have interest in Boeser, but he's not getting a top 5 pick. As to "top prospect" you'd need to define that. As I said, at this point the primary piece should be a young NHL player,  

I think a lot of people (at least for me) who are on the “trade Miller train”, would be okay signing him to a mega deal (58m+, long term), if the team didn’t already have a player in his thirties making 50m, who has five more years left on his current contract, after this season.

Having two players in their thirties taking that amount of cap spaces, limits the team’s flexibility for future additions, when the team is actually ready to compete for the cup.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I think a lot of people (at least for me) who are on the “trade Miller train”, would be okay signing him to a mega deal (58m+, long term), if the team didn’t already have a player in his thirties making 50m, who has five more years left on his current contract, after this season.

Having two players in their thirties taking that amount of cap spaces, limits the team’s flexibility for future additions, when the team is actually ready to compete for the cup.

Jeff Merek guesting n 650 this morning said the only player for sure staying is Demko.  He mentioned Van fans who like a rebuild might be happy.  

My issue with that is Demko is too good to get us to the bottom.  He’d have to go too.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jeff Merek guesting n 650 this morning said the only player for sure staying is Demko.  He mentioned Van fans who like a rebuild might be happy.  

My issue with that is Demko is too good to get us to the bottom.  He’d have to go too.  

As in a lot of moves to change the make-up of the team.  He was saying that there will be a lot of changes but he wasn't confirming a rebuild though.  Says that priority is to create cap space to have room to manoeuvre and there's no one that's untouchable other than Demko as it's hard to find elite goalies.  

10 minutes ago, mll said:

As in a lot of moves to change the make-up of the team.  He was saying that there will be a lot of changes but he wasn't confirming a rebuild though.  Says that priority is to create cap space to have room to manoeuvre and there's no one that's untouchable other than Demko as it's hard to find elite goalies.  

Maybe there are talks between us and Jersey to move Quinn?  The return would be incredible for us.  And we have OEL to be our number 1 D. 

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

that's a good point, but its also the reality we're in. Can we move OEL? probably not without retaining 2 mil +/- a bit. That causes its own issues.

Retention on OEL only works if we're in tank mode for a while. 

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

A team with a top 5 pick isn't taking Miller. Those in the top 5 are rebuilding, not looking for older players. So unless you're willing to roll the dice on an upgrade moving Petey or Hughes give up the notion of a top 5 pick. They may have interest in Boeser, but he's not getting a top 5 pick. As to "top prospect" you'd need to define that. As I said, at this point the primary piece should be a young NHL player,  

its a weird draft year tho and apparently Philly thinks its closer to a win now position. Miller would be a great piece for them. Its really one of the only trade ideas I've seen that might bring good value back for us and Miller goes to a team that really needs him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, mll said:

did he say what his sources on the team were, or was it Marek just speculating? because thats a pretty major piece of info if true. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

did he say what his sources on the team were, or was it Marek just speculating? because thats a pretty major piece of info if true. 

Went back and listened and he said 'Perhaps outside of Demko, I kind of get the feeling that everything is on the table.   I don't know that I see much that is sacred in Vancouver.'  Thinks it won't be just tweaks but heavy lifting.   

At the 30:30 mark:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/hour-1-brough-returns-from-mexico/

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its a weird draft year tho and apparently Philly thinks its closer to a win now position. Miller would be a great piece for them. Its really one of the only trade ideas I've seen that might bring good value back for us and Miller goes to a team that really needs him.

Marek says he keeps on hearing Kadri to Philadelphia - he's UFA.  Believes they could move Provorov to create part of the cap space but would need to move out more.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Went back and listened and he said 'Perhaps outside of Demko, I kind of get the feeling that everything is on the table.   I don't know that I see much that is sacred in Vancouver.'  Thinks it won't be just tweaks but heavy lifting.   

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/hour-1-brough-returns-from-mexico/

huh. Well maybe we are looking at a significant tear down. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Marek says he keeps on hearing Kadri to Philadelphia - he's UFA.  Believes they could move Provorov to create part of the cap space but would need to move out more.

imo that would be a mistake if Miller were available to them, but who knows. Kadri is having a career year on the top western team, Miller is having a career year with much less help.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

helllll yaa

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Wouldn't be compatible with the 2-year timeline Rutherford mentioned to get back to competing.  Priority seems to be to create cap space.  Could mean trades or buyouts.

Edited by mll

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Wouldn't be compatible with the 2-year timeline Rutherford mentioned to get back to competing.  Priority seems to be to create cap space.  Could mean trades or buyouts.

I'm not sure how seriously I take that 2 year number, seems like most GMs throw that one out there. 

If everyone other than Demko really is on the table, that to me seems more akin to a tear down. 

Who would we buy out that makes sense?

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the bones of this team are good enough to continue to move forward into a perennial playoff team and then contender.  However, the lineup isn't balanced and they rely too much on Demko at this point.  At least two significant trades need to be made, imo, to bring the roster a little more into balance.  

While an optimum Miller deal would include the coveted 22-23 year old rhd, at this point it's not a necessity and I can see a move for an established player(s) and contracts which then leads to more moves for the Canucks.

A deal with Philly would be an interesting one and would have to be centered around Provorov, imo.  I don't see a Miller deal for him straight up, so what would be the add?   Foerster?  Pick?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the bones of this team are good enough to continue to move forward into a perennial playoff team and then contender.  However, the lineup isn't balanced and they rely too much on Demko at this point.  At least two significant trades need to be made, imo, to bring the roster a little more into balance.  

While an optimum Miller deal would include the coveted 22-23 year old rhd, at this point it's not a necessity and I can see a move for an established player(s) and contracts which then leads to more moves for the Canucks.

A deal with Philly would be an interesting one and would have to be centered around Provorov, imo.  I don't see a Miller deal for him straight up, so what would be the add?   Foerster?  Pick?

I would think a pick, given the salary coming back our way already.