The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just got to know if everybody that’s asking for Schneider in a return know about Barron from the Avalanche prospect pool. I feel people just see a highly picked RHD and everybody is clamouring like he’s a can’t miss prospect. He doesn’t bring much in terms of offence. He’ll be a steady 2 way dman but I actually like Barron as much if not more than Schnieder. Barron might also be an easier ask as he’s not the Avs top defence prospect.

Braden Schnieder RHD 6’2” 210 lbs picked 19th overall in 2020 NHL playing style comp Brent Seabrook.

Justin Barron RHD 6’2” 195” lbs picked 25th overall in 2020 NHL playing style comp Charlie McAvoy.

JT Miller 50% and Halak to Colorado for Newhook, Murray (salary dump who we could probably flip for a 2nd or 3rd round pick), Barron and a 2nd round pick.

Colorado needs to go all in while Mackinnon is on a steal of a contract and Kadri still under contract. Losing Newhook hurts for them but with their best chance being right now Miller at 2.6 million a year gives them a much better chance than Newhook does unfortunately and you gotta give to get especially in a bidding war for Miller.

Edited by flickyoursedin

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Or what about 

Schneider, Laff, 2nd for Miller, Motte and Schenn? 

Make that 2nd a 1st and add Kravtsov and we may be tawkin’

That’s a hell of a lot of motor to give up on.

Miller is money.

Edited by Me_

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I forgot about Othmann.  He's having a really good season.  I'm not as high on the others.  I could see Arizona going after Othmann, Lundkvist and a 1st round pick.

To be honest, when it comes to Arizona they are wide open.  They basically are collecting whatever they can get at any position, so they will simply take the best package available regardless of position.  Vancouver on the other hand needs to be more strategic and fill certain holes.  Schneider really is a must in any trade with the Rangers as he fills our biggest hole in the roster.

I put Othman pretty well on par with Lafreniere and Kakko.  If we could get any of those three, along with Schneider (or maybe Lundkvist) and Barron for Miller, that would be the perfect deal for me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. But we need to address our RHD hole, and that’s not happening with Colorado. 

With that being said. Whoever is offering the best package for Miller, is the team that he’s being sent to, in my books. 

Justin Barron is a RHD prospect with probably more offensive potential than Braden Schnieder. I like Schnieder but I could also just see him becoming a 25-30 point stay at home dman. Barron has better skating and maybe a lower floor but higher ceiling type of pick in my mind.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  At the end of the day if the Rangers want both Miller/Motte/Schenn and Chychrun then they will need to trade the following:

2022 1st round pick

2022 2nd round pick

Braden Schneider

Nils Lundkvist

Filip Chytil

Vitali Kravtsov

Morgan Barron

Who we get out of that is up in the air, but Schneider would have to be one piece that would be mandatory for us.

Schneider and the 1st are priority.

Morgan Barron has good size. How’s his skating? Tough? 

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

Based on the rangers needs you'd think Miller would be their prime target yet they are pushing hard for Chychrun as well. They do have the assets to acquire both but I don't see them depleting their system for two players. Maybe put out their best offer for both players and take whoever bites first.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they could go for both and also Tyler Motte and Luke Schenn, which would make them the Cup favourites.  Their prospect pool would be depleted though.  And Vancouver would most likely not get a 1st round pick out of the deal, as that is what Arizona would want.  I'd still do a Miller deal to NY Rangers without the 1st round pick as long we we got 3 top prospects in return.

Yes more important than a 1st that would likely be an extremely late pick anyway...

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

so Schneider and a first is pretty beaten to death. any other trade ideas out there?

Good question........all the top teams wouid be in on miller I'd expect.  How about something from the Prefs built around Tomasino?  

It'd be a change up from the dman as the focus, but Tomasino is going to be a star.  Add Prokop and a 1st?

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Good question........all the top teams wouid be in on miller I'd expect.  How about something from the Prefs built around Tomasino?  

It'd be a change up from the dman as the focus, but Tomasino is going to be a star.  Add Prokop and a 1st?

Poile announced that they were in a rebuild to get younger the past off-season.  He even traded Arvidsson for futures and Ellis for younger players.  Don't see him giving up any of their youth when he feels their team is in need to get younger.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Poile announced that they were in a rebuild to get younger the past off-season.  He even traded Arvidsson for futures and Ellis for younger players.  Don't see him giving up any of their youth when he feels their team is in need to get younger.

The Preds need to win, they've been stuck in this spot for a decade and they'll get two shots at it with Miller at a great cap hit.  If they see other teams going all in, I think they'll need to make a big move

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The Preds need to win, they've been stuck in this spot for a decade and they'll get two shots at it with Miller at a great cap hit.  If they see other teams going all in, I think they'll need to make a big move

That's why Poile believes they need to get younger.  He talked of how they had to change things and how they wanted to start promoting prospects.  So far it's been working.  Don't see him making a big move this TDL.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's why Poile believes they need to get younger.  He talked of how they had to change things and how they wanted to start promoting prospects.  So far it's been working.  Don't see him making a big move this TDL.  

You could be right, but that's also easy to say and not so easy to do when you see all the top teams loading up at the deadline.  I don't think he expected the Preds to be this Cup competitive this year either.  He's getting very long in the tooth, by "getting younger" he's retiring without a Cup after being right there for a decade.

7 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Braden Schnieder RHD 6’2” 210 lbs picked 19th overall in 2020 NHL playing style comp Brent Seabrook.

Justin Barron RHD 6’2” 195” lbs picked 25th overall in 2020 NHL playing style comp Charlie McAvoy.

Not opposed to a "McAvoy" at all...Thing is, we already have Hughes (and Rathbone). What we really need moving forward, is a 'Seabrook" (Schneider) to play with our "Keith" (Hughes). Nothing wrong with getting a Seabrook at all IMO.

A package of Chytil, Schneider, Morgan Barron and a 2nd for Miller + Schenn. Yes please.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not opposed to a "McAvoy" at all...Thing is, we already have Hughes (and Rathbone). What we really need moving forward, is a 'Seabrook" (Schneider) to play with our "Keith" (Hughes). Nothing wrong with getting a Seabrook at all IMO.

A package of Chytil, Schneider, Morgan Barron and a 2nd for Miller + Schenn. Yes please.

I wonder if we're getting a little carried away with our expectations around the Miller deal? not so long ago Chytil and Schneider would have been seen as a great return on Miller. 

• Thanks 1