The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

yup I can understand that. For me if its 4 years I want the nuclear option and tank for elite picks. 

I've seen nearly all of this teams era's come and go and I'd be just fine with a proper blow up at this point. 

Yup.

Something JB (and Linden) should have started 8 yrs ago.  Full tear down, weaponize cap space, etc.  I think the Canucks would be turning the corner with the youth movement probably around now (if they drafted and traded well).

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's definitley a hockey trade, though they should be targetting players on the younger side of that hockey trade idea.

Agreed. My limit would be mid 20's, which is why I named Carlo and Marino.

There'd need to be an add by the team landing Miller though, particularly if there's retention or an extension is in place. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

IF we move Miller, I'm hoping it's a bit more "hockey trade-ish", seeing as nobody seems willing to give up their A+ entry level guys. A top 4 RD in their mid 20's would go a long ways towards fixing our blueline for the foreseeable future. Even moreso if we move a winger like Boes or Garland for one as well.

Hughes- Carlo

OEL- Marino

That's a pretty goddamn solid looking top 4, and our blueline would be set for years 

Boston has been right at the front of trade rumours from day 1.

A deal moving Miller 50% retained for Carlo and Debrusk (maybe even adding a little on our side and adding Lysell on their side) makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Even with some long term injuries on the Bruins for the first half of their season, they are. Aloha off team… and once they get their injured guys back at Christmas they would be a beast if you add Miller into their mix.

They don’t care about 4 years from now when Miller’s extension will likely be an anchor.  They will be rebuilding by then anyways and could probably happily retain 50% then to flip him to a contender looking for cheaper veteran help.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boston has been right at the front of trade rumours from day 1.

A deal moving Miller 50% retained for Carlo and Debrusk (maybe even adding a little on our side and adding Lysell on their side) makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Even with some long term injuries on the Bruins for the first half of their season, they are. Aloha off team… and once they get their injured guys back at Christmas they would be a beast if you add Miller into their mix.

They don’t care about 4 years from now when Miller’s extension will likely be an anchor.  They will be rebuilding by then anyways and could probably happily retain 50% then to flip him to a contender looking for cheaper veteran help.

Their pool is bare. They won't be giving up Lysell. Teams don't seem to be quite as attached to their 1st rd picks as they do to their own prospects, so I think Carlo + a 1st might be doable.

44 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

So there's no chance that last year was his career year?

He was too motivated at the end of the season for it to be series of really good seasons.

In one post game interview it seemed as though he made a realization of his own true potential and was grateful to be having the opportunity here with these players to do that.

I think we saw an elevation of a player who many here thought would continue to be a 5.7-6.2m player.

Dont get me wrong,.  This was not a “fluke” ..

He drove the bus.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

for me its all about the one or two truly elite guys you get from the tanking process. The later picks are nice and certainly help with cheap depth once a team is competitive tho. 

But aren't Petey and Hughes already two truly elite players? Are they not the exact type of player you would hope to get from a top 1 through 5 pick you would get from tanking anyway?

I don't see the sense in trading them for hopes just to get the same players again, they are only 22 ... what we need to do and what JR and Allvin are saying is that we need to find/use our other useful assets/cap space to find players that can grow with these two to build a contending team. We also need to hopefully acquire some picks and draft well in unison with that. If that doesn't work at all and we still suck then trade Bo and/or Petey (Hughes) in two years and go scorched earth then.

There must be a way to build a good NHL team given a starting base of Hughes, Demko, Petterson, Podkolzin, Bo, and cap space. We will have Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman(3), coming off the books in two years being replaced by younger, better players. It's not as bleak as you make it out to be. I think a lot of teams would be pretty happy with that for a start. Imo an elite winger to play in the top 6 while building the bottom 6 and D correctly is completely feasible, exciting, and the way to go for our team. :canucks:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to build a proper, contending team. If Petey doesn't want to stick around for that (which IMO is silly as I think we'll still be playoff competitive, more cohesive and with a better long term outlook, with the right moves, after moving Miller), then yup, you move him in a couple years too (as $&!#ty as that is). Though I'd expect we'd get a pretty good return. But again, assuming competent management, I don't see that happening.

The team is bigger than any one player. They either fit in your salary structure, time lines etc, or they don't.

See below:

We need to get him a defensive D partner to get the most out of him and spend some of Myers cap space more efficiently. OEL is not remotely this rosters problem.

If Myers went to FA right now,he would likely get $5M. That is the rate of exchange for RHD. He’s not grossly overpaid.

The management will have to execute plan A before any talk of moving on from Myers.

It will be interesting to see if Allvin can pull it off ?

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can stamp your feet all you want, but it's looking more and more like a sure thing that you'd be watching him do it for another team.  

I’m not like that Stawnzy,.   This is all out of our control..   but damn , I saw a good player in Miller when he arrived,  turn into a great one ,. And more so ,.  Grab on to the opportunity as a mentor and leader to the younger core we have and become a bigger one for it.

He pressurized himself to be the best so an impression of himself will stylize itself across the roster.

EP himself was hitting harder than Bo or Brock, finishing checks hard..

Podz 200 ft effort had him back deeper in his own end before some defenders,. Late in the season Podz was turning out of his own end at high speed.

Millers example of effort challenges team mates to use the talents and strengths they possess to their totality.…. Because that is what he is doing himself.

Losing Miller will effect this team now as they all identify with HIM.

Thats the upsetting part if he s traded.

and I will just cheer this player on with what other team he goes to,.  I like watching good players evolve.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Big year for Pettersson to take the reins. The time is now.

Miller is too old (no offence) and will want too much money. Why would the Canucks handcuff themselves like that again for the hundredth time? Hopefully they learned from the LE lesson.

If they rebuild that D, and with Demko in net and steps taken by Pettersson, Boeser and Podkolzin, it'll still be exciting Canucks hockey with a bright future. 

How dare you compare our best player to Louie freaking Player Name! 

No Way GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, R3aL said:

There would be a mudslide if we weren’t able to agree to signing him it was a distraction talking point all season and TDL and if we were in playoff picture you can’t trade him and we’d lose him to UFA.

Trading him for a huge haul now would not result in a mudslide. If we mess up the trade and got something mediocre there would be.

but if we turned down lundqvist chytil and a 1st I have confidence we are only trading him if we get a grade A package or have a younger player / asset with superstar potential. 

I trust our new management crew. It’s looking rock solid and motivated.

Perhaps we can lever players like you have mentioned with other players or player we have.

Its Millers Identity here to his team mates that matters more in all of the arguments made .

Besides, by the end of the Season we will have a small community of Russians who will require a little more room in Podz Kuzmenko and Tryamkin ;)

image.gif.5c3e3bc69a8111b0aae61dcd8a4060a7.gif

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

How old was Duncan Keith when he fell off and went minus 30 or whatever it was.  35? 34?  

It's scary!!  Lidstrom is one of the all-time greats!  All-Time greats do all-time things!

* waits for the 80's crowd to lose their minds because I called Lidstrom an all-time great *

Yeah Lidstrom is probably not the best example. It's like people bringing up Crosby/Ovi/Pavelski for Miller :lol:

How about our very own Edler? Guy's still playing a key, top 4 role in LA at 36. And as much as I love Edler (see the sig) OEL was, is and will continue to be a better D man, and a far better skater.

Barring injuries or the like, I have almost zero worry about OEL continuing to being able to play at a high, first pair level for all but one, maybe 2 of those years. And then it's a mildly inefficient $1-$1.5m over for the last year or two. Hardly the "nightmare" cap situation people are making it out to be. The ability to throw him and Hughes out for 25'ish minutes each, on our left side for the next half decade is easily worth that tiny risk at the end there IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah Lidstrom is probably not the best example. It's like people bringing up Crosby/Ovi/Pavelski for Miller :lol:

How about our very own Edler? Guy's still playing a key, top 4 role in LA at 36. And as much as I love Edler (see the sig) OEL was, is and will continue to be a better D man, and a far better skater.

Barring injuries or the like, I have almost zero worry about OEL continuing to being able to play at a high, first pair level for all but one, maybe 2 of those years. And then it's a mildly inefficient $1-$1.5m over for the last year or two. Hardly the "nightmare" cap situation people are making it out to be. The ability to throw him and Hughes out for 25'ish minutes each, on our left side for the next half decade is easily worth that tiny risk at the end there IMO.

I’m confident Miller will be like those 3 you listed.

Reason: he has no substantial injury and he has the heart of a lion. 

Zoom Out Lion King GIF by Nature on PBS

Happy Regular Season GIF by NHL

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

56 minutes ago, nergish said:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

15 OA

for

Brandt Clarke

Alex Turcotte

Helge Grans

19 OA

Draft Lian Bichsel at #19 if available.

A bunch of magic beans, but potentially a huge overhaul to the D-corps.

I’d rather just do something like this. 

Miller + 15th for Dobson. 

no guessing games here we get a legit young RD not a bunch of magic beans 

I wonder what Smyl will say about this player when all the discussions cease,

the numbers and options are on the table,  and a decision has to be made?

He himself understands,  and recognizes what a leader plays like, and how his wave and wake effects a team.

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m not like that Stawnzy,.   This is all out of our control..   but damn , I saw a good player in Miller when he arrived,  turn into a great one ,. And more so ,.  Grab on to the opportunity as a mentor and leader to the younger core we have and become a bigger one for it.

He pressurized himself to be the best so an impression of himself will stylize itself across the roster.

EP himself was hitting harder than Bo or Brock, finishing checks hard..

Podz 200 ft effort had him back deeper in his own end before some defenders,. Late in the season Podz was turning out of his own end at high speed.

Millers example of effort challenges team mates to use the talents and strengths they possess to their totality.…. Because that is what he is doing himself.

Losing Miller will effect this team now as they all identify with HIM.

Thats the upsetting part if he s traded.

and I will just cheer this player on with what other team he goes to,.  I like watching good players evolve.

I have no issues with Millers play, but they can't afford to let him walk away and to get him to stay would be an absolute anchor contract.  If he were willing to sign for three years at $8m, then I'd be less concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

If Myers went to FA right now,he would likely get $5M. That is the rate of exchange for RHD. He’s not grossly overpaid.

The management will have to execute plan A before any talk of moving on from Myers.

It will be interesting to see if Allvin can pull it off ?

I have never suggested Myers is over paid. In fact, I've defended his contract more times than I can count. I think he'd easily even get $5.5, maybe even the same $6 (term dependent) if he was UFA today.

It's not about his contract being poor value. It's not about Myers being a bad player. He's a perfectly fine, 2nd pair, 2 way, RHD with size, good skating and complementary scoring. What he is however, is a poor fit with Hughes and OEL, who both need more defensive partners rather than a 2 way guy like Myers.

He's an absolute nightmare paired with Hughes. And while they were certainly competent together this past year, OEL ends up covering for him and neutering his own offensive game, where someone should be doing that for him! The guy's a former Norris candidate and has the chops to be a perennial near40 point D (perhaps a bit less with Hughes eating up the prime PP minutes) when not playing for the Arizona Dumpsters or covering for Myers.

So if you can't play your perfectly fine $6m D with your other top 4 D and need cap to actually fix that situation.... Again, not a bad player. Not a bad contract. But you can't pay a guy $6m to not play in your top 4 and limit your ability to address those holes. Trade for a guy like Marino making around $4m, sign a guy like Lyubushkin for around $2.5-$3 and you're paying almost the same amount of cap for better fitting pieces and freeing up the cap of the F you used to acquire Marino to address other roster holes.

And yes, of course there needs to be a plan in place before moving Myers. I don't know why that keeps coming up. Nobody is suggesting simply moving him and sitting on our hands.

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

the issue I have with the sign Miller crowd is that they completely ignore that fact that JT may very well, even likely, doesn't want to continue his career in Van.  In which case, you get what you can for him, so the return might not really be in control of the management team.  They may have to be happy with whatever they can get.

Not moving him at the deadline was a mistake

The rumoured return was Lundkvist Chytil and a 1st. I’d lose my sh*t if we got 3 projects for JT. 

would you be ok with that return? 

Panarin might ask for a trade….hint hint :ph34r:

what would you rather? 

to nyr: Miller

to van: panarin 

panarin-pettersson-boeser 

pretty fun line!!!! 

ooooorrrrr the logical, probably better for the future of the team

To van: schneider, kakko, chytil, nemeth, 1st round pick 

to nyr: Miller (50% retained), rathbone, 4th round pick 2023 (NYR’s pick)

Just now, stawns said:

I have no issues with Millers play, but they can't afford to let him walk away and to get him to stay would be an absolute anchor contract.  If he were willing to sign for three years at $8m, then I'd be less concerned.

We are shell shocked from LE.

THAT is a truth.

This is a bird in the hand.

LE was a terrible mistake by Benning realizing he missed other opportunities in the UFA market that season.

Too bad he just didnt stay patient.

• Upvote 1