The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Too long- and a bit too much, for a guy that old, who has had one great offensive season, while the rest of the career has been 'only' very good.

Which is where JR sees it too I think.  The gap between the Miller ask of 64 and what JR is offering must be pretty big.  

What’s JR at?  I’m guessing 48?  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which is where JR sees it too I think.  The gap between the Miller ask of 64 and what JR is offering must be pretty big.  

We'll hear rumours of what the numbers were, after Miller gets traded.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup if wager there's at LEAST a $10-15m gap. That's not something that's getting bridged by negotiation.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

We'll hear rumours of what the numbers were, after Miller gets traded.

What I have seen (and not saying it is valid) is that Canucks want to keep in 7.5 range and obviously JT is more looking 8.5-9M which I think is market value. 
‘Man if I was one of these guys late 20s I would be signing no more than 2-3 years from now, the cap is going to balloon once the league is paid back for COVID. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

4, maybe 5 would be max for me and it still have to be less than $7.5m, which it won't be

Career year he and his agent know this is the summer to get max dollars.

If he plays out next season back at his average or has an off season.

jr pa know it to, his value is sky high factor the  career year one year left on a bargain contract  in a top 4 player.

There should be 20 teams bidding on him. 
mid tge pkan for us is to be a top tier team in 3/4years then keeping him at a inflated value is just more of the same. 
if we were set to be a cup contender next year no way they move him but we aren’t we aren’t even a wildcard team 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These validity of these stats is only as valid as the data collection, which is not reliable.  Yes, Miller (as all elite point produces) makes higher risk plays.  

I dunno 

To me it confirmed the eye test. 

I knew Petey makes responsible plays and this confirmed it as well. 

To me, Petey and Podz are the two most intelligent forwards on this team. 

All I'm saying is that I want more guys like that. 

On the other hand, you are correct, a lot of stars make risky plays because they have the skill to create a goal if the risky play works while there's a good chance a turnover will not lead to a goal and Miller isn't any different I guess. I'm looking for unicorns maybe... 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What I have seen (and not saying it is valid) is that Canucks want to keep in 7.5 range and obviously JT is more looking 8.5-9M which I think is market value. 
‘Man if I was one of these guys late 20s I would be signing no more than 2-3 years from now, the cap is going to balloon once the league is paid back for COVID. 

These contracts get negotiated around total dollars, not AAV. The players could give a rats arse what their AAV is.

They want total dollars, bonus structures etc.

The Canucks are likely around $50m and the Miller camp is likely asking closer to $65 total.

Ergo...Bridge to far, he's getting moved.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

7 x 7.75 would be great.  And could Miller do any better than that as a UFA July 2023?  I think not.  

he's certainly risking a lot waiting another year to find out. Thats a fair deal, particularly if its heavy on bonus money and front loaded. 

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Or...the next global pandemic hits and WW3 erupts and the global economy crashes, making any long term deals signed now look brilliant for them. You just never know.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he's certainly risking a lot waiting another year to find out. Thats a fair deal, particularly if its heavy on bonus money and front loaded. 

That's the important part.  Look at how pissed Edmonton fans are realizing they signed Nurse too quickly.

He was in the exact same situation as Miller with a year to go but the Oilers signed him to a crazy contract after the end of last season.  Had they waited until this year, they would have saved millions.

Hopefully Miller hedges his risk and signs something fair now rather than waiting a year but then again, he seems the bullish type to me.

Super confident and bets on himself. Maybe thats a good thing.

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

That's the important part.  Look at how pissed Edmonton fans are realizing they signed Nurse too quickly.

He was in the exact same situation as Miller with a year to go but the Oilers signed him to a crazy contract after the end of last season.  Had they waited until this year, they would have saved millions.

Hopefully Miller hedges his risk and signs something fair now rather than waiting a year but then again, he seems the bullish type to me.

Super confident and bets on himself. Maybe thats a good thing.

its not an easy negotiation, or trade. Its pretty ironic, we've got a great player and its hard to figure out the best route for him. 

I do think 55 is a fair number and can be structured to really benefit him, but if he thinks he can squeeze 10 more mil out of some other team then I guess more power to him. He needs to keep an eye on someone like Kadri going knee on knee with him for an entire year tho. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

its not an easy negotiation, or trade. Its pretty ironic, we've got a great player and its hard to figure out the best route for him. 

I do think 55 is a fair number and can be structured to really benefit him, but if he thinks he can squeeze 10 more mil out of some other team then I guess more power to him. He needs to keep an eye on someone like Kadri going knee on knee with him for an entire year tho. 

Yup

I'm glad we have JR and co leading this group

So far, I've been happy with the moves and lack of moves they have made.

Motte return was underwhelming but we didnt lose much after picking up Richardson and promoting Lockwood.

Glad they gave this group a shot.

Gave BB option and put the ball in his court and BB is back.

Pretty crazy we won the Kuzmenko sweepstakes.

They are taking a very methodical appraoch to building this teaam so I am confident they will make the right move whether we sign JT or trade him

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

I'm glad we have JR and co leading this group

So far, I've been happy with the moves and lack of moves they have made.

Motte return was underwhelming but we didnt lose much after picking up Richardson and promoting Lockwood.

Glad they gave this group a shot.

Gave BB option and put the ball in his court and BB is back.

Pretty crazy we won the Kuzmenko sweepstakes.

They are taking a very methodical appraoch to building this teaam so I am confident they will make the right move whether we sign JT or trade him

well, things should start moving soon. I would think they would wait to see what happens with the Sedins today and maybe we'll see things start to shake up by the weekend. I would think JR would want a bit of time to make moves before the draft frenzy. 

If the Canucks had just kept Russel, Beagle, L.E, we would have had $12 mil plus the $7,260 mil not paying OEL (and have Guenther or?) most likely a higher 1st round pick this draft and this years 2nd round pick retained

Plus not signing Dickenson we'd have another $2.65 mil

Those trades set us back and put us in the bind  we are in, Without them, we could afford to sign our better players, but would it change signing 30 yr olds to long term contracts?

I think the proposals and who we would sign would look much different than they do now

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If the Canucks had just kept Russel, Beagle, L.E, we would have had $12 mil plus the $7,260 mil not paying OEL (and have Guenther or?) most likely a higher 1st round pick this draft and this years 2nd round pick retained

Those trades set us back and put us in the bind  we are in, Without them, we could afford to sign our better players, but would it change signing 30 yr olds to long term contracts?

I think the proposals and who we would sign would look much different than they do now

This. I was very vocal all along about hating the OEL trade (which is unusual for me because I was a Benning homer for the most part). It was one of the first times I had really felt the wrath of the positive crew around these parts when I spoke out against it. 

I'm now a very vocal supporter in trading Miller. But if we hadn't done the OEL trade, I don't think I would be. We would have had plenty of cap opening up, and not hitched our horse to an aging player with a huge contract. When I speak about my perceived inability for the Canucks to manage the cap with Miller getting paid, it's because we already have one of those contracts. If OEL wasn't on the books, and Miller was our only 30+ getting bank, I might feel differently. 

I simply just don't think this team is good enough to have two of those contracts on this roster. Which is obviously hard for for me to admit after supporting the path this team was taking for so many years under JB. When you watch the playoffs it becomes abundantly evident we don't have enough talent on this roster to compete with the elite teams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If Ifs and Buts were Candy and Nuts………

yes, you are 100% correct. 
BUT

The garbage trades and garbage signings are already done.  
The dummy got fired because of them. 
No point continuing to dwell on it.  

All we can do is focus on the future and try to not make more bad mistakes………. Like signing a 30 year old to a big money long term contract. 

18 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Totally!! and.... trading Boeser and Miller for prospects & picks will get us all the free space to fit in Malkin, Letang, Gaudreau and more or........ the equivalent of course!! 

21 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Also... let's not forget the Poolman signing... absolutely redundant and wasteful... we could have used both Burroughs and Hunt to just ride out last season...

And the Ferland signing... I'm guessing JB got desperate and was rolling the dice on the iffy medical tests/records...

• Cheers 3