The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Winnipeg offers rich young players in the tip top shape of their physical career and pockets full of cash, the excellent museum of human rights, three good restaurants, and a couple of  bars where if the crowd isn’t in one, they’re in the other.

New York is a tetramall from downtown to midtown. THOUSANDS. of restaurants of all Worley cultures. 

Idannaaaaaaaaaaa…..

Maybe the PLD is on to something…

Ya I honestly feel bad for the fanbase its so hard for the city itself to attract players. They are such a good market / fan base though. Happy they have a team though and they are committed to winning so curious what will happen with PLD and Scheiffle

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd take a good prospect, and a 2nd (a similar, if lesser return than Fiala). "Faber" equivalent and a 2nd.

Keep in mind that the teams looking to add guys are also seeing their options dry up. So while there may be a couple less suitors, the remaining teams options on are quickly dwindling. They'll start to get desperate to ensure they're not left without a seat when the music stops.

Would have to be a good prospect though for sure.

I am so curious how these chips are going to fall the suspense is killing me.

Cant wait till we know what players we are heading into camp.

Cant wait for a PROPER training camp. Everyone there preparing for the year together to kick the year off proper.

Not like last years Mickey Mouse gong show.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, Faber's already been traded to Minny anyways. 

So moot point right. 

The point was that JT Miller is better than Fiala and Minny got a better package then that old NYR proposal that management supposedly already turned down at the deadline. Which has me believing that we should be able to find something better out there better than a return of Lundkvist, Chytil and a 1rst.

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

One of the 6 people so far who watch another teams!!! #RARESPOTTING

At which point was I wrong?

Is Lundkvist better than Faber?

Is NYR 30th overall better then LA Kings 19th

Or was Chytil’s best season of 43% in the FO circle and 4th season under 25 points make you think he’s a Center or more than a bottom 6 player? Would you put money on either of those things?

14 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

At which point was I wrong?

Is Lundkvist better than Faber?

Is NYR 30th overall better then LA Kings 19th

Or was Chytil’s best season of 43% in the FO circle and 4th season under 25 points make you think he’s a Center or more than a bottom 6 player? Would you put money on either of those things?

The thing that always gets me, is the ones who hate the fact we have been "rebuilding" forever and the same ones I'm seeing who would like to add other teams 4+ year pro season failed rfas. 

That's been the problem. All we have done over the last 8 years is pick up other teams failed rfa in hopes they work out here. Imagine repeating the same failed theory time and time again while complaining about the people who want to stop doing that haha!

I don't necessarily mean here, Just social media in general. Kind of annoying how the vocal bunch always have the worst opinions 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Since we're talking about Carolina, Pesce would look great alongside Hughes. Just sayin'

Like someone mentioned, I doubt they would move him. But, what is a fair package from the Canes? 

Jarvis, Drury and a 1st?

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

The point was that JT Miller is better than Fiala...

...Which has me believing that we should be able to find something better out there better than a return of Lundkvist, Chytil and a 1rst.

But Fiala is 4 or 5 years younger. That makes a big difference. He will still be good through his entire contract. Miller will regress.

I think those 3 pieces is around exactly what we can expect for JT.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Is actually 3 years 4 months difference not 4 or 5 years. If is 5 years I would say yes big difference but 3 years isn’t as bad. JT also a center who takes faceoffs and plays pk role. 

3 years is significant but I added a note about his age to my post in another thread (that he’s younger / same age than a lot of the Kings’ main contributors last season) because we treat him like he’s 32 not 29.

• Cheers 2

I want to show how JT is worth at least a Fiala if not more. He is a centerman who can win faceoffs and plays on PK which is the main difference between him and Fiala (limited pk).

JT is unlikely to get anywhere near $9mil/season. Fair estimate is around 5 years at 8.5mil aav.

So if a team trades for him and extends JT for more 5 years I think there is value in JT. 

*starting season age

2022 - *29yr - 5.25mil

2023 - 30yr - 8.5mil

2024- 31yr - 8.5mil

2025- 32yr - 8.5mil

2026 - 33yr - 8.5mil

2027 - 34yr - 8.5mil

Total contract value in 6 seasons  $47.75mil ending age of 35

Fiala

2022 - 26yr - 7.85mil

2023 - 27yr - 7.85mil

2024- 28yr - 7.85mil

2025- 29yr - 7.85mil

2026 - 30yr - 7.85mil

2027 - 31yr - 7.85mil

2028 - 32yr - 7.85mil

Total contract value in 7 seasons $54.95mil ending age of 33

15 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

3 years is significant but I added a note about his age to my post in another thread (that he’s younger / same age than a lot of the Kings’ main contributors last season) because we treat him like he’s 32 not 29.

People are ignoring the fact that JT is still 29 starting 2022 not 30ish and to your point about Kings main contributors, JT is also younger or same age as NYR main contributors as well (Zibanajed, Panarin, Strome, Kreider)

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, kloubek said:

But Fiala is 4 or 5 years younger. That makes a big difference. He will still be good through his entire contract. Miller will regress.

I think those 3 pieces is around exactly what we can expect for JT.

Then you keep him till the deadline and get that same deal if not better when ppl for desperate to load up. Especially when we offer to retain 50% for extra goodies

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Then you keep him till the deadline and get that same deal if not better when ppl for desperate to load up. Especially when we offer to retain 50% for extra goodies

And with Nuck luck watch him get injured prior to. 
Best to move him preseason and avert all risk.

Better for the players too to enter the season without the JTM saga in the back of their mind (or at the forefront with Van sports media likely constantly focused on it).

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And with Nuck luck watch him get injured prior to. 
Best to move him preseason and avert all risk.

Better for the players too to enter the season without the JTM saga in the back of their mind (or at the forefront with Van sports media likely constantly focused on it).

Then you get him back for the playoffs. Not everything is gray and cloudy skys

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Then you get him back for the playoffs. Not everything is gray and cloudy skys

Sorry, but tbh I don’t think we make the playoffs without him. 
It’s just too competitive in our division now. We need his points.

Besides, if mgmt has decided he is going to be traded, and the market is there, you do it early on and then analyze how the returns fare over the course of the season in anticipation of other moves. 

There is going to be more player movement. It’s inevitable with our cap space. 

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

He will be 31 by the time the first year of his new contract is done… so ya, people take his age into account.

Nobody is terribly concerned about his production in the first couple years of a new contract when you are looking at a 6-8 year extension.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, mordekai said:

I want to show how JT is worth at least a Fiala if not more. He is a centerman who can win faceoffs and plays on PK which is the main difference between him and Fiala (limited pk).

JT is unlikely to get anywhere near $9mil/season. Fair estimate is around 5 years at 8.5mil aav.

So if a team trades for him and extends JT for more 5 years I think there is value in JT. 

*starting season age

2022 - *29yr - 5.25mil

2023 - 30yr - 8.5mil

2024- 31yr - 8.5mil

2025- 32yr - 8.5mil

2026 - 33yr - 8.5mil

2027 - 34yr - 8.5mil

Total contract value in 6 seasons  $47.75mil ending age of 35

Fiala

2022 - 26yr - 7.85mil

2023 - 27yr - 7.85mil

2024- 28yr - 7.85mil

2025- 29yr - 7.85mil

2026 - 30yr - 7.85mil

2027 - 31yr - 7.85mil

2028 - 32yr - 7.85mil

Total contract value in 7 seasons $54.95mil ending age of 33

Reports are that Miller is looking to cash in and that term is the main issue for Vancouver - the comparable is the Zibanejad contract.  They were drafted the same year and he's starting an 8 year deal.  Miller's deal would start a year later and maybe a team could argue to give him only 7 years instead of 8, but 5 years doesn't seem likely.

• Cheers 1