The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Apparently JT Miller is at the top of the Trade Board, after Fiala was traded.  One week to go before the Draft.

MIN has never had a problem making a splash, and changing things up. They just traded Fiala, who's only 25.  

Still have no idea what will happen with Miller. A part of me is a bit concerned they won't do anything and ice basically then same team next year. They may feel trading Miller could result in taking a step back and no playoffs again. I've heard how JR was a trading machine, not afraid to pull the trigger etc. Really? 

Motte for a 3rd - that's his big deal so far

I wonder if this management has the kahunas to trade their best veteran forward?

8 hours ago, mordekai said:

I want to show how JT is worth at least a Fiala if not more. He is a centerman who can win faceoffs and plays on PK which is the main difference between him and Fiala (limited pk).

JT is unlikely to get anywhere near $9mil/season. Fair estimate is around 5 years at 8.5mil aav.

So if a team trades for him and extends JT for more 5 years I think there is value in JT. 

*starting season age

2022 - *29yr - 5.25mil

2023 - 30yr - 8.5mil

2024- 31yr - 8.5mil

2025- 32yr - 8.5mil

2026 - 33yr - 8.5mil

2027 - 34yr - 8.5mil

Total contract value in 6 seasons  $47.75mil ending age of 35

Fiala

2022 - 26yr - 7.85mil

2023 - 27yr - 7.85mil

2024- 28yr - 7.85mil

2025- 29yr - 7.85mil

2026 - 30yr - 7.85mil

2027 - 31yr - 7.85mil

2028 - 32yr - 7.85mil

Total contract value in 7 seasons $54.95mil ending age of 33

Personally I find Fiala more valuable due to age. We're talking 4 years until he's the same age as JT. However, to the right team JT could easily be more desirable. Fiala is probably a better goal  scorer and wicked on the PP but JT is far more rounded  and a way better playmaker. I can see it from the Kings pov. He's younger, better to gel with their young players as their old guys are almost done and he helps them on their PP and goal scoring. Their two biggest weaknesses.

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Then you get him back for the playoffs. Not everything is gray and cloudy skys

Actually you miss the playoffs and he walks for free. Absolutely horrific decision making. Rain and hail on a stormy night.

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually you miss the playoffs and he walks for free. Absolutely horrific decision making. Rain and hail on a stormy night.

Why would that happen? Fanbase has ptsd I swear. Absolutely zero confidence in who is leading this team. Merritless fear mongering what ifs you can't control lol.

Try to look at the positive sides of things brotha! Like I said it's not all doom and gloom. I didn't see flames fanbase tripping out all year over JG status. They also have multiple expensive rfas to deal with. In some cases it may make sense to roll with Miller to start the year. Would be incredibly ignorant to think that is not a route that's been discussed, along with all the pros and cons that come with it

42 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I like Rathbone a lot, but he's gonna be stuck behind Quinn and OEL for a few seasons here. If it means extracting top value in a blockbuster, I think it would be OK.

Your proposal is not even close to a blockbuster or fair value for us. Rathbone is a complete stud, and there's zero wrong with him playing sheltered minutes behind Hughes and OEL for a couple of years to see how he progresses. Move OEL in a few years somehow and Jack moves up behind Quinn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Something like McLeod, their 2nd rd pick and Severson?

No Severson for me. He's "ok" but also not really what we need from a D and a bit older than I'd prefer.

In that case I'd FAR prefer a package from PIT with Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist etc.

Sharangovich, Holtz, Bahl as a sweetener piece... Those are pieces I'd have interest in from Jersey.

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why would that happen? Fanbase has ptsd I swear. Absolutely zero confidence in who is leading this team. Merritless fear mongering what ifs you can't control lol.

Try to look at the positive sides of things brotha! Like I said it's not all doom and gloom. I didn't see flames fanbase tripping out all year over JG status. They also have multiple expensive rfas to deal with. In some cases it may make sense to roll with Miller to start the year. Would be incredibly ignorant to think that is not a route that's been discussed, along with all the pros and cons that come with it

lol you're right, who cares don't plan for anything and just hope for the best, no stress I guess that way

I wouldn't want you in charge of my valuables though. Calgary was also first place in their division and a Cup contender but don't let that information get in the way of doing nothing for our team. If management does that they should be fired immediately. I think it was discussed briefly and flushed down the toilet where it belongs.

16 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Didn’t JR say the club will have clarity by the draft on the Miller, Bo, and Boeser situations?  I think we will trade Miller, extend Bo, and qualify Brock.  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol you're right, who cares don't plan for anything and just hope for the best, no stress I guess that way

I wouldn't want you in charge of my valuables though. Calgary was also first place in their division and a Cup contender but don't let that information get in the way of doing nothing for our team. If management does that they should be fired immediately. I think it was discussed briefly and flushed down the toilet where it belongs.

Lol. I respect the amount of fans this committed to post all off season long. But you guys chase your tail bouncing a bunch of redundant ideas off each other acting like the team itself can't figure these things out.

I want to trade Miller and boeser. 90% of the proposals keep us in the retooling cycle of taking on other teams disappointing rfas who have been pros for years and don't show much other than being able to chase the play. We have 14 guys who already chase the play. 

Normally I agree with you man but I can't understand how this fanbase hates being in a "never ending retool" yet wants to move its damn near only  for a handful of passengers.

If we accept crap offers that sets a horrible tone that our management can be walked all over via trades, Signings ect. You can wait till last minute to make deals. Tons and tons of value at the TDL. We have to be careful who re remove and how we do it. You need to please EP, Huggy and demko. 

I may be out to lunch, we all may be out to lunch. But this is not a 1 off season turn around. People are getting impatient. Ask yourself why do all these guys with 1 year left get traded at the TDL rather then in the off season prior? Maybe the value isn't all the different like many think. Maybe TDL COULD drive value up. You never know 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t JR say the club will have clarity by the draft on the Miller, Bo, and Boeser situations?  I think we will trade Miller, extend Bo, and qualify Brock.  

That's obvious, You shouldn't need to be told that to figure out how hockey ops works. I'm with you on your thoughts but for me i don't want qualify him at all. I push two things. A 6m x 3 or 4 year Or trade. Absolute last resort is a QO but he needs to get moved at the TDL then

Edited by Mustard Tiger
Stupid new phone changing words on me

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Lol. I respect the amount of fans this committed to post all off season long. But you guys chase your tail bouncing a bunch of redundant ideas off each other acting like the team itself can't figure these things out.

I want to trade Miller and boeser. 90% of the proposals keep us in the retooling cycle of taking on other teams disappointing rfas who have been pros for years and don't show much other than being able to chase the play. We have 14 guys who already chase the play. 

Normally I agree with you man but I can't understand how this fanbase hates being in a "never ending retool" yet wants to move its damn near only  for a handful of passengers.

If we accept crap offers that sets a horrible tone that our management can be walked all over via trades, Signings ect. You can wait till last minute to make deals. Tons and tons of value at the TDL. We have to be careful who re remove and how we do it. You need to please EP, Huggy and demko. 

I may be out to lunch, we all may be out to lunch. But this is not a 1 off season turn around. People are getting impatient. Ask yourself why do all these guys with 1 year left get traded at the TDL rather then in the off season prior? Maybe the value isn't all the different like many think. Maybe TDL COULD drive value up. You never know 

So your solution if we don't get a grade A killer return is to just sit on JT and let him walk for nothing out of angst? :shock: I think you're confusing the different proposals with people being realistic. Necas is a pretty darn good player and the reasons you suggest like the coaching style of Brind'amour is the very reason he may do better offensively in a Boudreau system. Personally I'm very intrigued by Necas. Great player, terrific skill and drive who I would hope has more goal scoring in him. Either way you're probably not getting the return you envision. The cap space is almost as important.

This website has nothing to do with figuring out things management cannot. We're just excited to get things going. I respect your viewpoint though I just don't think it's very realistic. Also, if you go into the season with JT what does that tell the rest of the team? This year is a write-off we're more concerned with JT than the team and it's all about him. We may trade him, we may not, we don't know what we're doing.

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I honestly think boeser and miller are both priced out of van. It would be nice Trade boeser first to know kind return we want for miller 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

So your solution if we don't get a grade A killer return is to just sit on JT and let him walk for nothing out of angst? :shock: I think you're confusing the different proposals with people being realistic. Necas is a pretty darn good player and the reasons you suggest like the coaching style of Brind'amour is the very reason he may do better offensively in a Boudreau system. Personally I'm very intrigued by Necas. Great player, terrific skill and drive who I would hope has more goal scoring in him. Either way you're probably not getting the return you envision. The cap space is almost as important.

This website has nothing to do with figuring out things management cannot. We're just excited to get things going. I respect your viewpoint though I just don't think it's very realistic. Also, if you go into the season with JT what does that tell the rest of the team? This year is a write-off we're more concerned with JT than the team and it's all about him. We may trade him, we may not, we don't know what we're doing.

My solution is to actually see improvement on the team. It's possible to improve now and in the future. 

I get it guys, I really do. We have been the damn near only team who hangs onto expiring deals letting them walk as ufas. I'm not suggesting we do that yet again. I'm suggesting IF the value isn't there this off season vs the value he has to our club. We atleast start the year with him. I can't accept lowball offers. Someone will come knocking with a nice haul come TDL when we offer to retain 50%. We see better packaged then that crap rangers offer at that time every year. Tofu even got more of a haul then what some suggest we get for Miller 

As I said I may be out to lunch on this theory but I'm standing by it 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope we extend Bo, re-sign Miller and trade Boeser for a young RD.

Edited by Me_

21 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Who would you take at 2OA? 

There aren't a lot of guarantees in the NHL, but one thing is for certain,  either Wright or Slapshotsky will be available at #2.  Then you take a d-man at #15.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I hope we extend Bo, re-sign Miller and trade Boeser for a young RD.

Just dunno if we’re still good enough if we do that I think miller trade for stud prospect on cheap contract who can play next year plus high picks plus boeser for rhd D like mayfield on cheap contract keeps us room to still be good and chase free agency fits