The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I respectfully ask if the weather patterns are better in BC?

Very good drinking water here.. it’s taken for granted.

I personally love the fact we get 4 seasons.

California seems to be on fire 12 months a year…. Nice places to visit if you don’t get shot at too.

Dont forget your sunscreen :) 

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t read of too many (if any) home grown threats to Canada.  

Yet right now, real time in the U.S,.  Domestic Terrorism is a reality,. White Supremacy Groups are real, and a The biggest Democratic Country in the world is fighting to keep Democracy.

In a country without any real gun laws, and 160 guns per 100 households, where most have become desensitized to Mall Massacres, and Schoolyard slaughter on a weekly basis..

im happy here ,  WITH stricter Covid measures..

im sure there are others in this country, and other countries would agree with me.

do you honestly think most Americans care about any of that?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

do you honestly think most Americans care about any of that?  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm so confused at where Miller has been for the last 3 years

I'm reading so many posts with this look on my face...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I assume you don't work with professional athletes with a very short window to make as much money as they possibly can.  I've no judgement on Miller or any player who tries to cash in.........this is the biggest contract of his career, he needs to get max value for his services, especially after playing far beyond his current pay grade for so long.

I know I certainly don't get the vibe that he's enjoyed his time in Vancouver or Canada

No I don’t but I’ve paid attention to this aspect of the game for a long time now. We’ve seen plenty of players who have chosen not to cash in and many former Canucks as well. It’s not all about the money. There are a plethora of factors these guys weigh in on when deciding where to play. Let’s not assume Miller is a money first guy. He might be but he also may not. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Very good drinking water here.. it’s taken for granted.

I personally love the fact we get 4 seasons.

California seems to be on fire 12 months a year…. Nice places to visit if you don’t get shot at too.

Dont forget your sunscreen :) 

I too often forget my sunscreen!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No I don’t but I’ve paid attention to this aspect of the game for a long time now. We’ve seen plenty of players who have chosen not to cash in and many former Canucks as well. It’s not all about the money. There are a plethora of factors these guys weigh in on when deciding where to play. Let’s not assume Miller is a money first guy. He might be but he also may not. 

Many of the players that took a discount to play or stay here had a connection to the city or the team. Imo, Miller has neither. I don't doubt he plays his heart out every game, but I would definitely never make a comment about him saying something like "he bleeds blue and green". He's not from Vancouver, nor even Canada. He has no loyalty to this team. Even if Miller isn't chasing a huge pay day, don't see any reason why Miller would play here for anything except top dollar.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Many of the players that took a discount to play or stay here had a connection to the city or the team. Imo, Miller has neither. I don't doubt he plays his heart out every game, but I would definitely never make a comment about him saying something like "he bleeds blue and green". He's not from Vancouver, nor even Canada. He has no loyalty to this team. Even if Miller isn't chasing a huge pay day, don't see any reason why Miller would play here for anything except top dollar.

Neither were the Sedins and those guys were our greatest players. A player who gives as much heart as Miller is vested. More so than you realize.

I think Miller comparable will be FLA Huberdeau.  Same age.  Close cap hit. Hub has bit more point production.  And current contract ends same year as Miller.

So whatever Hub gets on his next deal…maybe take off 500k off the avg and that’s what Miller is worth.

50 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Neither were the Sedins and those guys were our greatest players. A player who gives as much heart as Miller is vested. More so than you realize.

That’s a ridiculous comparison. Sedins were drafted and played their whole career here. Millers played a couple seasons. You were making some decent arguments, but don’t compare Miller to the Sedins. Completely different situations.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

That’s a ridiculous comparison. Sedins were drafted and played their whole career here. Millers played a couple seasons. You were making some decent arguments, but don’t compare Miller to the Sedins. Completely different situations.

054e7b4672681467e266adddeec83161.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Rebuilding are we?

I'm not actually in charge or privy to what they are thinking? 

If you think moving Miller when he's at his most valuable to acquire assets we badly need is rebuilding, then label it what you feel like.

I thought asset management sounded cooler.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It’s funny on HFboards everybody wants JT Miller but nobody wants to give up anything good to get him. This is even with the idea of Vancouver retaining and they still don’t include top prospects. Like a ppg does it all center retained costing you 2.6 million a year for a 1.5 seasons and 2 cup runs is worth the same as Nick Foligno’s return from last years deadline lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

It was an example of players from outside of this country that found a new home. You mentioned the different country thing.  Draft or not, Miller has been here for more than just 5 minutes. He got traded in 2019 and by the time his contract is fulfilled, he would have spent 5 years here. It’s not so outrageous that a player spending 5 years over here can develop attachments. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

I'm not actually in charge or privy to what they are thinking? 

If you think moving Miller when he's at his most valuable to acquire assets we badly need is rebuilding, then label it what you feel like.

I thought asset management sounded cooler.

Boeser is the better one to move.

we are missing 2 decent positional players..

another physically strong skillful D man,

and a physically present power forward.

Boeser + (player last name) 

DeBrusk and a Dman ?   (Brandon Carlo?)

im just spit in chicklets,.  Just trying to be more creative with the player to move (Boeser)

but Debrusk has stated he wants out of Boston,.  So there is an open door there..

Boeser might fed off of Hall ?

I would think Carlo would be a good Hamonic replacement at least?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don't think that's a fair comparable at all. The Canucks as a franchise made a life altering move by moving up to draft the Twins together. Their loyalty to the franchise in comparison to a guy who was traded away from a dynasty right before they started to collect cup rings is night and day difference. I reckon Miller would be playing with the same intensity if he was on Arizona. That doesn't mean he would be taking a sweet heart deal to re-up with them.

We have zero evidence from Miller indicating he would choose loyalty to a team he has only been with for a few seasons over money or a legit chance at a cup. But common sense tells us he had a much better chance of wanting to explore free agency.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

Larry Brooks in the New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/26/rangers-in-contract-talks-with-ryan-strome-option-they-wont-pick/

2. Again, the Rangers’ preference is to sign Strome, but J.T. Miller could lurk as a potential replacement. We are told that Vancouver GM Jim Rutherford’s asking price for the one-time Ranger is astronomical at this point, but the ask is surely to drop as the deadline approaches if the Canucks — five points out of a playoff spot with five teams to pass while at a games-played disadvantage — entirely drop out of the race.

Is Miller a replica of Strome? Not even close. But with another year remaining on his deal at a $5.25 million cap hit, Miller could play right wing with either Zibanejad or Strome down the stretch this season before sliding into the middle next year if the need arises.

Perhaps the Rangers, whose interest in Miller has been previously reported in this space, could get the Canucks to eat 50 percent of the contract for a sweeter return. That would allow the team to have Miller with Strome next season if No. 16 does sign an extension.

Edited by mll

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Larry Brooks in the New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/26/rangers-in-contract-talks-with-ryan-strome-option-they-wont-pick/

2. Again, the Rangers’ preference is to sign Strome, but J.T. Miller could lurk as a potential replacement. We are told that Vancouver GM Jim Rutherford’s asking price for the one-time Ranger is astronomical at this point, but the ask is surely to drop as the deadline approaches if the Canucks — five points out of a playoff spot with five teams to pass while at a games-played disadvantage — entirely drop out of the race.

Is Miller a replica of Strome? Not even close. But with another year remaining on his deal at a $5.25 million cap hit, Miller could play right wing with either Zibanejad or Strome down the stretch this season before sliding into the middle next year if the need arises.

Perhaps the Rangers, whose interest in Miller has been previously reported in this space, could get the Canucks to eat 50 percent of the contract for a sweeter return. That would allow the team to have Miller with Strome next season if No. 16 does sign an extension.

giphy.gif?resize=640,640&ssl=1&crop=1

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2