The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Maybe it’s just me but the player I would be most excited about coming back from a deal like that is Kakko.

Only 21, kid still has potential for a lot of upside. A change of scenery might be what he needs along with a coach like BB.

Totally. The Big Apple could very well be overwhelming for a young guy and the completely wrong atmosphere, for all we know. Kakko on a young team like ours with a coach like Boudreau and a bigger role could be just what he needs. In the other hand, his numbers sure are underwhelming, so we do risk getting blinded by his draft position. 

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Totally. The Big Apple could very well be overwhelming for a young guy and the completely wrong atmosphere, for all we know. Kakko on a young team like ours with a coach like Boudreau and a bigger role could be just what he needs. In the other hand, his numbers sure are underwhelming, so we do risk getting blinded by his draft position. 

But the Vancouver market has been historically very kind to young prospects?

Just now, laddie said:

But the Vancouver market has been historically very kind to young prospects?

I'm thinking currently with Petey, Hughes, Podz, etc., and a supportive coach like Bruce. New York is a contender with players ahead of Kakko and Gerard Gallant as their coach, who isn't exactly known for being, well, a coach like Bruce. 

• Upvote 1

I think the offer right now Is kakko+ lundqvist. I think Van is trying to get them to change lundqvist to Schneider. In the end I think both will compromise with kakko+ lundqvist+ 1st 2023 unprotected.

I then think boeser will be traded for a similar but smaller return that fiala got. Something like jj peterka+ pick 28 

Pearson traded for a 3rd

That third  we got from Pearson to a team to take Dickinson

Mikey dipetro to mtl for a 4th

Sign Malkin 7 mil 2 years

Sign subban 4 years 4.7 mil

Sign Evan Rodriguez 3 years 3.5 mil 

Sign Lazar 1 year 1 mil

Hoglander pettersson Garland 

Kuzmenko Malkin Podkolzin

Rodriguez Horvat Kakko

Highmore lammiko Lazar 

Hughes schenn

Oel Subban

Rathbone Myers

Lundqvist

Demko

Martin 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think the offer right now Is kakko+ lundqvist. I think Van is trying to get them to change lundqvist to Schneider. In the end I think both will compromise with kakko+ lundqvist+ 1st 2023 unprotected.

I then think boeser will be traded for a similar but smaller return that fiala got. Something like jj peterka+ pick 28 

Pearson traded for a 3rd

That third  we got from Pearson to a team to take Dickinson

Mikey dipetro to mtl for a 4th

Sign Malkin 7 mil 2 years

Sign subban 4 years 4.7 mil

Sign Evan Rodriguez 3 years 3.5 mil 

Sign Lazar 1 year 1 mil

Hoglander pettersson Garland 

Kuzmenko Malkin Podkolzin

Rodriguez Horvat Kakko

Highmore lammiko Lazar 

Hughes schenn

Oel Subban

Rathbone Myers

Lundqvist

Demko

Martin 

So, for Miller you would accept a struggling 3rd line winger and a rhd prospect who doesn't even crack the lineup? 

Just now, Jester13 said:

So, for Miller you would accept a struggling 3rd line winger and a rhd prospect who doesn't even crack the lineup? 

That's like saying all Min got was a D prospect who doesn't even Crack the line up. 

Lundqvist is a similar prospect to faber and Kakko has a ton of potential. 

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

That's like saying all Min got was a D prospect who doesn't even Crack the line up. 

I'm of the opinion that Minny lost that trade considerably, simply because Guerin can't bring back any roster players due to their cap situation, which he even said. Schneider has to be coming back or it's no deal with NY. Kakko I can stomach as a project/risk, but we absolutely must get a partner back to play with Hughes. We simply can't have every piece in the return be a gamble to pan out for us when this is a franchise defining move for the next wave/window of opportunity to build a contender. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

I'm of the opinion that Minny lost that trade considerably, simply because Guerin can't bring back any roster players due to their cap situation, which he even said. Schneider has to be coming back or it's no deal with NY. Kakko I can stomach as a project/risk, but we absolutely must get a partner back to play with Hughes. We simply can't have every piece in the return be a gamble to pan out for us when this is a franchise defining move for the next wave/window of opportunity to build a contender. 

Honestly I think lundqvist would mesh with Hughes better than Schnieder playing style wise. 

3 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly I think lundqvist would mesh with Hughes better than Schnieder playing style wise. 

Disagree. Our D is improperly structured already with too many offensively-minded players playing together. We need a steady defense-first player to compliment Hughes.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Disagree. Our D is improperly structured already with too many offensively-minded players playing together. We need a steady defense-first player to compliment Hughes.

You mean like Tanev?  Thanks Benning :picard:

I trust JR and the group he assembled to identify the right players to partner with Hughes and OEL.  We might see a Boeser for Marino kind of deal.  Or Garland for a guy.  Miller too.  Big changes coming! :towel:

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess I’m saying that it’s a possibility, and the risk would be even that much greater. If Miller’s not traded by the trade deadline, there’s a great chance that the team loses him for absolutely nothing. That can’t happen. Having such a great asset and be able to flip him for current/future help, but then lose him for nothing? 

shocked the princess bride GIF

I don't think I can help you my friend. If you are unwilling to understand it's perfect normal for teams to go into a season with players who are on the final year... I just don't know. Good luck though

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don't think I can help you my friend. If you are unwilling to understand it's perfect normal for teams to go into a season with players who are on the final year... I just don't know. Good luck though

Miller coming to camp with no extension is very possible. If JR/PA are looking past this draft for assets for Miller then there's no pressure to get 2022 picks. It may help us to let the draft and free agency go before finally settling on a Miller extension too, let all the prices for guys like Strome and Kardri play out and then see where we stand. There's no reason Miller can't be moved after all that for 2023 picks and RFAs.

53 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Know who else had potential?

Yakupov

Virtanen

Juolevi

Potential is useless if effort isn't there.  Lundkvist is tiny and ineffective for our needs.  Another forsling type who will bounce between multiple teams before finding a home in an insulated role

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Know who else had potential?

Yakupov

Virtanen

Juolevi

Potential is useless if effort isn't there.  Lundkvist is tiny and ineffective for our needs.  Another forsling type who will bounce between multiple teams before finding a home in an insulated role

I actually think there's still a very good player there.  If the right coach gets him, he might be a great utility player