The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is that the new bar now for a Miller deal, getting a utility player? 

For the best trade chip this franchise has had in decades, a "utility player" just doesn't cut the mustard. Assuming Miller is moved (we'll see), we have to knock it out of the park. It could set us back years if we don't. This is the best chance we have to find that elusive defense-first RD to play with Hughes, and if the Rags aren't willing to pony up, there are other teams that will. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually think there's still a very good player there.  If the right coach gets him, he might be a great utility player

If you are referring to Lundkvist, This is what concerns me. We have such low standards now.. our top player for maybe utility players. 

This Lundkvist + chytil combo is not much different than Rathbone + Dickinson. I don't think that would get us a Miller

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Haha, we can play the what if game all you want. You can apply endless amounts of what if questions to literally anything. 

It really doesn't matter though as he is probably being traded at the draft anyways. 

Why do players with 1 year left remain on their current team and traded that same TDL? This is not some brand new idea

Are you even a Canucks fan lol? You may not have noticed (somehow) but we are a team in peril having made the playoffs once in the last 8 years. We had the worst record in team history for the first part of last year as well as the worst PK in the history of the NHL.

You also probably didn't notice this but we had a teeny tiny wee iddy bitty coaching/performance situation to start last year. One that had so much promise we had to turf the coach and GM before Christmas and completely change every conceivable part of management from the President on down through every major level. Trust me it was big news while you were off on mission in the space shuttle.

The time for games is over. This team clearly needs new direction and needs that change to start taking place as soon as possible. Wasting an entire year in a vain attempt to add an extra 3rd round pick and play the stock market is the very notion of backwards hillbilly thinking. It makes no sense at all to kick this down the road where problems may occur. You also never answered my question about what it does to the rest of the players on the team or what you do if you're in a playoff position at the TDL, or why you even think that offer would increase.

If this team wasn't in complete shambles an disarray sure you sometimes see how the season goes with the knowledge you may trade the player but this is clearly not the case.

How is it possible you don't understand this?

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If you are referring to Lundkvist, This is what concerns me. We have such low standards now.. our top player for maybe utility players. 

This Lundkvist + chytil combo is not much different than Rathbone + Dickinson. I don't think that would get us a Miller

In the words of the Friendly Giant "look up, look way up"

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

For the best trade chip this franchise has had in decades, a "utility player" just doesn't cut the mustard. Assuming Miller is moved (we'll see), we have to knock it out of the park. It could set us back years if we don't. This is the best chance we have to find that elusive defense-first RD to play with Hughes, and if the Rags aren't willing to pony up, there are other teams that will. 

right now, I think I'd rather move Brock and keep Miller. I like Brock but if the reports of him wanting 7+ are true we might be forced to move on anyway. If we can get someone like Marino for Boeser maybe thats better, and keep Miller. 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Again, look up.  

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

right now, I think I'd rather move Brock and keep Miller. I like Brock but if the reports of him wanting 7+ are true we might be forced to move on anyway. If we can get someone like Marino for Boeser maybe thats better, and keep Miller. 

If we could land Marino for Boeser I'd be all over that.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Are you even a Canucks fan lol? You may not have noticed (somehow) but we are a team in peril having made the playoffs once in the last 8 years. We had the worst record in team history for the first part of last year as well as the worst PK in the history of the NHL.

You also probably didn't notice this but we had a teeny tiny wee iddy bitty coaching/performance situation to start last year. One that had so much promise we had to turf the coach and GM before Christmas and completely change every conceivable part of management from the President on down through every major level. Trust me it was big news while you were off on mission in the space shuttle.

The time for games is over. This team clearly needs new direction and needs that change to start taking place as soon as possible. Wasting an entire year in a vain attempt to add an extra 3rd round pick and play the stock market is the very notion of backwards hillbilly thinking. It makes no sense at all to kick this down the road where problems may occur. You also never answered my question about what it does to the rest of the players on the team or what you do if you're in a playoff position at the TDL, or why you even think that offer would increase.

If this team wasn't in complete shambles an disarray sure you sometimes see how the season goes with the knowledge you may trade the player but this is clearly not the case.

How is it possible you don't understand this?

Why do you keep adding your own bits and pieces to my opinion and acting like I said that?

Selective reading? I don't want other teams version of Rathbone + Dickinson and a 2nd for Miller. I start the season with him if that's the best offer out there.

But it won't be, and he will probably be moved real soon. So why are you getting so worked up? How does this opinion paint me as the villain you suggest?

Like what the heck lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don't think I can help you my friend. If you are unwilling to understand it's perfect normal for teams to go into a season with players who are on the final year... I just don't know. Good luck though

JR said if a deal cannot get done then they will look to move Miller.  Miller's situation will be dealt with at the draft next week I think, as that is the best time to swing a deal.  Apparently the offers coming in are better than the ones at the TDL so we will see what happens.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Kakko, Schneider and a 2022 2nd? 

I mean, Schneider would be the principle player in that deal. Kakko…eh, I dunno, he could turn out to be a good player, or a bust. 

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

Maybe it’s just me but the player I would be most excited about coming back from a deal like that is Kakko.

Only 21, kid still has potential for a lot of upside. A change of scenery might be what he needs along with a coach like BB.

Yeah exactly. I'm not sure why some people think there should be zero risk with a trade like this. Like we should be getting Aho or Kaprizov back or something. 

Kakko is a risk I'm 94.386...% willing to take.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

JR said if a deal cannot get done then they will look to move Miller.  Miller's situation will be dealt with at the draft next week I think, as that is the best time to swing a deal.  Apparently the offers coming in are better than the ones at the TDL so we will see what happens.

Apparently?

According to who, Dhaliwal or someone? Not doubting, just wanting to see where stuff like that is being said.

Just now, Putgolzin said:

Apparently?

According to who, Dhaliwal or someone? Not doubting, just wanting to see where stuff like that is being said.

He said it outright directly and publicly and it was linked and quoted here many times in this thread.  He said they want to re-sign the player, but if term and money gets out of whack they will have to make an unemotional decision.

Nobody knows when the timeframe on that is though, but clearly this offseason.  The question would be could they get a good deal in a trade before the draft... or a better deal after July 13th when teams can negotiate an extension with Miller before agreeing to give up a boatload of assets for him.  The opportunity cost of waiting also has to be considered as the top free agents could be off the board before you know if you have that cap space to work with.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

He said it outright directly and publicly and it was linked and quoted here many times in this thread.  He said they want to re-sign the player, but if term and money gets out of whack they will have to make an unemotional decision.

Nobody knows when the timeframe on that is though, but clearly this offseason.  The question would be could they get a good deal in a trade before the draft... or a better deal after July 13th when teams can negotiate an extension with Miller before agreeing to give up a boatload of assets for him.  The opportunity cost of waiting also has to be considered as the top free agents could be off the board before you know if you have that cap space to work with.

It’s a tough call but I think the best time to trade Miller is on the draft floor. Especially if someone like New Jersey is in play with the 2OA. 

Like you said if you wait until after July 13 then it gets tricky as all the top UFA’s will be signed and so teams will have spent their money. The advantage to waiting until after July 13 for a Miller trade is that teams wanting to trade for him can negotiate an extension with him. However, the downside is most teams might be capped out at that point. 

42 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I wouldn't be overly happy with this trade but let's get something straight. Those are not equal at all. Lundkvist and Rathbone are equal but Chytil is an emerging 22 year old 6'3, 210lb 21st overall pick who just had an amazing cup run performance and is capable of playing center. Dickinson is a piece of gum on the bottom of my shoe that has negative value. (Sorry Dickie)

It's easier to understand the point of your posts if you are at least honest.