The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What is your suggestion for fixing our right side then?

Another trade.

We can’t make trades out of desperation.

Sign a filler guy short term until we can develop someone if we have to.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because Calgary has D depth and Sutter spreads minutes.

He was playing that here and would have to with our lack of depth.

You continue to argue about minutes and ignore the fact that Marino is not a top pair guy.

Even Tanev in his prime wouldn’t have fetched a 100 point player. Even if you added a pick and a prospect. It’s bad value no matter how you slice it.

Tanev averaged 19:44 in ice time in 10 seasons with Vancouver.  I'm sorry, but he was never a 30 minute guy, ever...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Another trade.

The best partners for elite offensive D are almost always fully matured.  Hughes needs a proper partner (like he had with Tanev) to be able t9 play to his ceiling.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would have him playing with OEL on the second pairing....

Me too, which is why we should try to move Myers to Seattle for Adam Larsen.  That’s the guy we need with Hughes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Another trade.

I also think Dermott was a good pickup last year and should be a good bottom pairing guy on the right side, in a platoon scenario with Schenn.  They do need to add a top 4 rhd though, ideally in a Miller trade but there are other paths to get there, you're right.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would have him playing with OEL on the second pairing....

And have Myers play with Hughes?

That doesn’t improve our D nearly enough.

This trade needs to improve our D core by a lot not just a little.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Another trade.

Signing filler guys crippled us under Benning.

I'm not saying move Miller straight up for Marino. Obviously the Pens have to add ton. It's worth noting that they actually have their 1st in 2022 (21st overall), which I imagine would be higher than the 2023 pick the Rags would be offering us. Point is that if the Rags aren't willing to part with Schneider, there are other options out there. Marino fits this team FAR better than Lundqvist.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

We trade Myers for Larsen.  Boom!  D set for five years.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Me too, which is why we should try to move Myers to Seattle for Adam Larsen.  That’s the guy we need with Hughes. 

Adam Larsson would be nice.  We need to get bigger and meaner on the back end though.  So I would be okay either Larsson or Marino, but not both...

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No I would trade Myers.  If we acquire Marino he would replace Myers.  We would still need a top pairing guy for Hughes.  If we are keeping Myers then I would not want to trade for Marino, I would want us to get someone to play with Hughes.  Manson is a possibility but he would be expensive.  Schneider would be a long term play.  He isn't going to play 20 minutes a night next year.  

I worry Miller isn't going to sustain this great play, a lot like Point. He had a massive season, dropped 90 points and then hovered just under a PPG. Obviously he's still a great player but not worth his big pay-out.

It's very tempting to see how he gets on over the next season and wait until the off-season to re-sign him. I doubt he'll maintain another 100 point pace but if he does, fair play he probably deserves a big pay out.

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because Calgary has D depth and Sutter spreads minutes.

He was playing that here and would have to with our lack of depth.

You continue to argue about minutes and ignore the fact that Marino is not a top pair guy.

Even Tanev in his prime wouldn’t have fetched a 100 point player. Even if you added a pick and a prospect. It’s bad value no matter how you slice it.

Sorry to continue shoot holes in all of your posts... But Tanev actually played about a minute more ATOI in Calgary then he did in Vancouver, even during Vancouver's rebuild.

Was Tanev a top pairing, elite defensive D at 24?

Marino wouldn't be the only piece in a potential Miller trade.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I worry Miller isn't going to sustain this great play

Why do you worry?

What has he shown that suggests he might not be able to keep it up?

Even if he doesn't have another 99 point season. He's still a top line centre with passion and leadership that can play in all situations. Not bad attributes to fall back on is the point totals dip a bit. 

Canucks don't NEED a 25 min rhd for Hughes, they need a competent defender who can play 5 on 5 with him for around 20 minutes. Hughes logs most of the PP time to get him in the mid to high 20'smin per game.

If we could trade Myers, and say got Marino in a deal. We could ice this D core:

Hughes Marino

OEL (UFA) C. Miller, PK Subban/Klingberg/Manson/Luyubushkin

Rathbone Schenn

Dermott Burroughs

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I would trade Myers.  If we acquire Marino he would replace Myers.  We would still need a top pairing guy for Hughes.  If we are keeping Myers then I would not want to trade for Marino, I would want us to get someone to play with Hughes.  Manson is a possibility but he would be expensive.  Schneider would be a long term play.  He isn't going to play 20 minutes a night next year.  

I think Marino could play with Hughes or OEL. Let chemistry figure that out. I also think Marino could easily still develop in to a top pair D, just like Tanev did, being age 24. Even if he's isn't there yet ;) Thankfully this team didn't need to be at that "finish line" next year anyway :)

I'd be for moving out Myers, trading for a Schneider/Marino (or similar) and adding Lyubushkin (Manson-light and cheaper) and let the pairings sort themselves out.

Schenn has shown solid ability to play with either Hughes or OEL and would likely be fine with Rathbone/Dermott as well. Marino, Lyubushkin and Schenn gives us solid defensive D on the right to complement all our lefty pick movers, however the pairings fall.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Marino could play with Hughes or OEL. Let chemistry figure that out. I also think Marino could easily still develop in to a top pair D, just like Tanev did, being age 24. Even if he's isn't there yet ;) Thankfully this team didn't need to be at that "finish line" next year anyway :)

I'd be for moving out Myers, trading for a Schneider/Marino (or similar) and adding Lyubushkin (Manson-light and cheaper) and let the pairings sort themselves out.

Schenn has shown solid ability to play with either Hughes or OEL and would likely be fine with Rathbone/Dermott as well. Marino, Lyubushkin and Schenn gives us solid defensive D on the right to complement all our lefty pick movers, however the pairings fall.

Marino and OEL would be a solid 2nd pairing.  Not sure I'd want Marino/Myers as the RHD combo.  Problem is moving Myers.  Lyubushkin would be a nice short term solution.  Theoretically, we could trade for both Marino and Schneider and still sign Lyubushkin if we traded Myers.  That way we could rotate Schneider into the lineup and not have to throw him into a top pairing role right off the bat.  It also allows us to keep Schenn on the 3rd pairing where he belongs.

Hughes       Lyubushkin

OEL             Marino

Rathbone    Schenn

Dermott      Schneider

Schneider can rotate into the lineup when needed for his first year in Vancouver and take Schenn's place the following year and go from there.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Problem is moving Myers.  

Don't think that would be a problem at all. I think plenty of teams would happily take on his only 2 remaining years if they have the right fit for him. The return may not be earth shattering but I think he's easily moveable.

The real problem is having the replacement plan in place. Making that trade for a Marino, Schneider etc and having a guy like Lyubushkin lined up to sign.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I worry Miller isn't going to sustain this great play, a lot like Point. He had a massive season, dropped 90 points and then hovered just under a PPG. Obviously he's still a great player but not worth his big pay-out.

It's very tempting to see how he gets on over the next season and wait until the off-season to re-sign him. I doubt he'll maintain another 100 point pace but if he does, fair play he probably deserves a big pay out.

We’ve seen him blossom in Vancouver, getting better each year. Too many think he hit his ceiling. I say he can go even further. Miller will be a top 5 point getter next season and lead us to a couple rounds min next playoffs.

We can keep him at a lower cap hit now or pay even more later. 

We can’t afford to not re-sign him this off season. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't think that would be a problem at all. I think plenty of teams would happily take on his only 2 remaining years if they have the right fit for him. The return may not be earth shattering but I think he's easily moveable.

The real problem is having the replacement plan in place. Making that trade for a Marino, Schneider etc and having a guy like Lyubushkin lined up to sign.

Dallas could be a logical landing spot for Myers if they don't re-sign Klingberg and if we go after Marino/Schneider/Lyubushkin...

• Vintage 1