The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Especially since Bedard doesn't have the character issues that McDavid does.

If there’s one  trade, miller for another 2023 1st and tank it’s next year for homegrown bc boy bedard 

Edited by Scottydzik
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

I can’t lie I’d prolly shed a tear if Canucks landed bedard I watched many pats game this kid is on mcdavid level talent wise 

And that’s the player this team should do everything in their power to land. 

If you get a 1st for JTM this year, you package that with next years first and whatever else (even including Podz if need be) and make a serious run at acquiring that 1st overall pick next year. 

That is how you dynamically change the future of this franchise for the next 10 years for the better, imho. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Demko is too good for us to be that bad.

That’s the definite ace in the hole we have.  Demko can, almost on his own, win a series.  If we can build a supporting group around our current core that is just close enough to the other top teams to keep games fairly even, then Demko can be the difference.  He’s why I keep going back to the idea of going all in right now and four the next four seasons.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting discussion regarding a potential Miller to NJ. Not for the #2, but for Jesper Bratt.

They're saying NJ wouldn't likely trade the #2 overall for a 30 year old, but they still really like Miller.

Bratt is a 23 RFA, plays both wings, almost a point-a-game, but smallish at 5'10" 175 lbs

I'm not sure why the Canucks would do this? Unless there's more added by the Devils.

40 minutes ago, tas said:

the same people advocating for moving miller as the "smart decision" for "asset management" are the same ones who were pumped to move on from tanev (etc) in the name of "asset management" ... I told those people then that letting tanev walk (but nate schmidt is better!!!11!) would be a crippling misstep, and I'm saying the same thing about miller now. 

I'm for trading Miller but wanted to re-sign Tanev, and I'm far from the only member with that perspective. 

Stereotyping groups to fit your narrative,  while convenient,  isn't necessary accurate. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting discussion regarding a potential Miller to NJ. Not for the #2, but for Jesper Bratt.

They're saying NJ wouldn't likely trade the #2 overall for a 30 year old, but they still really like Miller.

Bratt is a 23 RFA, plays both wings, almost a point-a-game, but smallish at 5'10" 175 lbs

I'm not sure why the Canucks would do this? Unless there's more added by the Devils.

And Bratt needs a contract.  He might be too costly.  Prefer the pick.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And that’s the player this team should do everything in their power to land. 

If you get a 1st for JTM this year, you package that with next years first and whatever else (even including Podz if need be) and make a serious run at acquiring that 1st overall pick next year. 

That is how you dynamically change the future of this franchise for the next 10 years for the better, imho. 

Trading for Bedard ? Get real, people. And they are too good to tank. They would have to trade multiple key pieces -- and then run the risk of losing in the lottery (big risk). People throw the "tank" strategy around like it is a switch you can flip. If you were to turn it around, a hockey team in this situation is maneuverable more like an aircraft carrier than a jet-ski.

Edited by BlastPast
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd love to get Bratt. He is smaller but speed and skill for days.  I would need a secondary piece in there tho. Dawson Mercer

14 minutes ago, tas said:

great, so it took the avs 9 years after their 1st overall to climb the mountain. 11 years for tampa. st. louis doesn't really apply, unless you count erik johnson and then we're talking 13 years. 14 years for washington. pittsburgh is interesting because they got that one quick one only 4 years after sid was drafted but then they were dormant for 8 more years before getting there again.

still waiting on edmonton to do anything worthwhile with the best player in the world 7 years into his career. buffalo has been tanking since like 2008. how are the leafs doing with their core of elite talent 6+ years after drafting it?

I dunno about you, but the potential of winning a cup in 2032 isn't enough incentive for me to watch the team bottom out in the present. 

But what’s the alternative?  No Cup, ever?  We need to build a team like what Gillis did.  He created a 4 year window.  We didn’t win, but at least we had a chance.  I’m confident this management will build a team that has at least a four year window, where we (fans) believe we have a legit shot to win.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

Would we pull the trigger Jt miller for Bahl McLeod Holtz 2023 1st unprotected 

That’s a lot for Miller.  I don’t think he’ll get that much.  But if it was…I’d take it.  

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

As long as we have wasted money via buyouts / retention / bonus overage and whatever other crap we get hit with, We are already against the odds. Cup winners utilize the entire cap and then some. Hopefully everyone wanting to go crazy adding ufas will understand this

Yep, yet another reason not to waste everything going for it the next couple of years until all that bad cap is off the books and we have a fair chance to compete with the other teams.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Bratt would be perfect for Bo’s wing.  Garland would need to go.  Maybe just for picks?  A couple seconds? 

We need picks bad, time to restock the cupboards.  I hope our scouting staff has a handle on things, despite everything that has happened this year

5 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Trading for Bedard ? Get real, people. And they are too good to tank. They would have to trade multiple key pieces -- and then run the risk of losing in the lottery (big risk). People throw the "tank" strategy around like it is a switch you can flip. If you were to turn it around, a hockey team in this situation is maneuverable more like an aircraft carrier than a jet-ski.

Pending the moves that happen this offseason, this team could very well regress a bit. I wouldn’t count the chickens too quickly before they hatch.

Get real? Yeah, that’s the point of trying to trade for a Bedard. To establish generational talents that carry this club for years. The last time we made such a move we picked up the Sedins and look what they became for us and soon to be HHOF.

if we aren’t seriously taking a run, not tanking for, at acquiring Bedard - a hometown kid - then we aren’t doing our due diligence in rebuilding this club with a long term vision. 

2 minutes ago, King Loui said:

We need picks bad, time to restock the cupboards.  I hope our scouting staff has a handle on things, despite everything that has happened this year

Since the Devils are having trouble signing Bratt, maybe Garland (signed through his four prime years on a great deal) would be enough for them for us to get Bratt, and we could trade Miller elsewhere?  

• Like 1