The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Even still, you sometimes get someone like Baumgartner who clearly doesn't understand the game and yet keeps getting hired despite his proven incompetence.  The vast majority of CDC would be able to draw up a far better defensive structure than that baboon.

YARN | Get the puck out of my neighborhood. | Family Guy(1999) - S15E18 The  Peter Principal | Video gifs by quotes | ab01fc0a | 紗

Even Family Guy did it!

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't like Pierre Maguire, but I'm not naive enough to think I know more about hockey then he does. Realistically few to none of us do (unless a couple people in the business have secret accounts here, I'm looking at you Vintage Canuck). These are people that get to spend their entire life's engulfed in the game, and spend every waking minute talking and thinking about hockey with other people who live the game. We are just fans who are passionate about our hobby.

I hear you shay, but you think it's at all possible that people in the business sometimes get too much credit and outsiders not enough?

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

You gonna do the honours? I'm looking at that 642 page count and thinking about how high we can make it before the trade happens.

12 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I just don't get it. You can dislike a guy, sure that's fine. But to completely discredit him is absurd. Like him or not, this guy knows the game and knows the people who live the game. This isn't opinion, it's fact.. I have listened to the radio hits, I've heard him speak with these people. He speaks with people in the business that most of us would kill to have a single conversation with, and does it on the regular.

I've met a handful of professional athletes, and feel absolutely blessed that my career has done that for me. But even then out of respect I never really had a chance to talk hockey with the majority of them. I'd kill to be able to pick the brain of most the people in his contact list.

The guy knows hockey, it's litterally his job. Like him or not, he's been pretty successful doing so.

Drance is a hockey geek plain and simple. Just watch his giddy little smiling face during those intermission interviews during games. I have never cared for him too much but I won't discredit his passion and decent knowledge of hockey analytics. I'll take him any day over the week over guys like Sekeres and Price who have very little knowledge or credible background in sports in general. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I come to the Miller thread to catch up on the latest dirt on Drance, much like I read the Kuzmenko thread for information on Tryamkin, and the Boeser thread for Miller speculation.  How else am I going to keep things straight around here, follow the Miller trade thread to get trade speculations regarding Miller?

image.jpeg.3217889a9ac013db5d4536628adb8622.jpeg

This ^

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

This thread IS the clog!  We have people discussing "crotch staring" at this point!

There’s probably an “expert” on here who knows more about that cause it’s all he or she has done their entire life :ph34r:

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Really? If you look at all the players over the last decade or two who were taken 2OA, I think Miller's 99 points is noticeably higher than any of them have ever had. (I believe the 2nd highest season total was about 10 points less). And while the tail end of Miller's next contract will probably be overpayment, there's something to be said in having to wait 1-3 years for a newly drafted player to put it all together that teams would be able to avoid if they traded for him. Seems to me that the 2OA and Miller are about a wash, if not slightly favouring Miller as the more productive piece. 

It's not happening, Try looking at things from the Devils perspective. Why the hell would they do that? To get into our situation? No prospects, Aging talent and a core we have no money to support? 

They are literally the polar opposite. Endless money coming off the books, great high end prospect and now a #2OA.

I like being a canuck Homer as well but come on lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

It's not happening, Try looking at things from the Devils perspective. Why the hell would they do that? To get into our situation? No prospects, Aging talent and a core we have no money to support? 

They are literally the polar opposite. Endless money coming off the books, great high end prospect and now a #2OA.

I like being a canuck Homer as well but come on lol

Gotta agree; I think Joyzee has no need for Miller at all.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Even still, you sometimes get someone like Baumgartner who clearly doesn't understand the game and yet keeps getting hired despite his proven incompetence.  The vast majority of CDC would be able to draw up a far better defensive structure than that baboon.  If the individual is stupid enough, it's entirely possible for them to not absorb a ton despite the opportunity.

King, if you truely believe that the vast majority of members on a fan forum would make a better coach then a guy who was hired to be at a coach at the NHL level, as well as international level... We're just living in different realities man.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Probably just another case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

Dunning-Kruger effect, in psychology, a cognitive bias whereby people with limited knowledge or competence in a given intellectual or social domain greatly overestimate their own knowledge or competence in that domain relative to objective criteria or to the performance of their peers or of people in general.

I had to look it up, so I quoted the definition.  Oh, so many of us..

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you shay, but you think it's at all possible that people in the business sometimes get too much credit and outsiders not enough?

To a degree, sure. The NHL is clearly an old boys club, you can see that when coaches get traded between teams without nearly enough influence from new minds. That still doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of us can't hold a candle to professionals.

Some may be able to carry the conversation. Sid.is.me consistently is able to give information on subjects far beyond the knowledge that the average fan has. Highonhockey clearly knows prospects better then the average person has any business knowing. Vintage Canucks... Well they are super quick at posting things. We have some very intelligent and informed posters here.

We also have a ton of average fans who think they know a lot more then they do. I've been a very active member of these forums for...16 years now? I feel like it's not to hard to tell people who talk big game vs the people who know big game.

Saying you could do a better job then an NHL coach or other professional is like brining in a plumber but assuming you know better the entire time, but on steroids.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

King, if you truely believe that the vast majority of members on a fan forum would make a better coach then a guy who was hired to be at a coach at the NHL level, as well as international level... We're just living in different realities man.

Considering the only reason he was hired was nepotism and be clearly demonstrated that he doesn't understand basic defensive systems, yes, most people here could do better.  There are a lot of guys working for NHL teams who have done literally nothing to earn their positions;  Baumgartner was just an example where it is painfully obvious that he wasn't qualified for the job.

Most people here aren't idiots, which puts them a step above Baumgartner.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Considering the only reason he was hired was nepotism and be clearly demonstrated that he doesn't understand basic defensive systems, yes, most people here could do better.  There are a lot of guys working for NHL teams who have done literally nothing to earn their positions;  Baumgartner was just an example where it is painfully obvious that he wasn't qualified for the job.

Most people here aren't idiots, which puts them a step above Baumgartner.

The second a CDC member coaches hockey at NHL level, hell I'll even expand that to Olympic or international level to match NB career, I promise to admit I'm wrong and write you a full formal apology. Until then, different realities king.

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I understand he's got a resume,  but so does a guy like Pierre Maguire who I don't believe has any business working in NHL management but keeps getting hired to do so and has also won awards in the past for his hockey work.

There is something very off about Pierre Maguire, imho. Always creeped me out.

image.gif.c1c816bb6eec897bad2f36b00cb97997.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

There is something very off about Pierre Maguire, imho. Always creeped me out.

image.gif.c1c816bb6eec897bad2f36b00cb97997.gif

My late uncle (RIP) used to hate Pierre hardcore.  He was from Washington and he used to tease me about him because he was on TSN so my uncle figured Americans covered hockey better than Canadians.  The man was absolutely devastated when Pierre left TSN and went to NBC Sports haha!   

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I think the team management are taking their time to do their 'due diligence' with the Miller situation.  They know that

there are a lot of fans that will be unhappy if Miller is traded.  They would certainly want to at least 'appear' that

they did their best to sign him, but just couldn't manage the required $/term.

On the other hand, there will be fans that won't think the trade return for Miller is enough and that will cause a great

deal of whining.