The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

24 minutes ago, BPA said:

If Miller is hearing Forsberg and Gaudreau are being offered $8M+ x 8yr…why would he accept less term?  He is just as valuable to the team as those 2 are for their respective teams.

And that’s the problem…:(

Because Gaudreau and Forsberg have been much more consistently productive over their careers than Miller. Both are younger too, not by much though. 

I feel like too many are forgetting this was a career year for JT, this was his first time breaking 80 points. Gaudreau has multiple times, Forsberg is younger and has put up more points in a shorter career.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Im having a hard time believing any team , including the rangers, would give up multiple top tier young players and possibly draft picks unless they know they can sign Miller .  Imagine if the Canucks gave up equivalents of any combo of Schneider/Laf/Kakko   for a ~30 year old guy under contract for one year.  

I guess ive been beaten down over the decades to be a little negative.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To be clear Sat said "north of 50M" but coming close 'he'd listen'.  7.75-7.5 is probably optimistic given Zibanejad is the comp, but if he wants to be here maybe you can convince him to do +/- 8 for 6 years. Hard to handicap.

If he does re-sign the meltdowns will be legit, seems like many have made up their mind that he's gone. 

I've been 100% on the trade Miller wagon but if we re-sign him I will support new managements decision. I do have faith in them as they haven't done anything negative yet. I would hope to hell that some other major moves are made in conjunction though. I personally don't see anyway this team doesn't stall out unless we trade Bo if that isn't the case though.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gosh, I just have this feeling that VAN gets Lundkvist back in return

My Hope:

Schneider, Kakko and #63

Possible Reality:

Lundkvist, Goodrow, #30

:sick:

the news of contact talks stalling isn't going to help us thats for sure. 

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Miller & Hughes for 2OA, 23 1st unprotected, 22 2nd, Holtz, & Mercer.

Is there a particular reason you want to see Hughes traded? If we do that we might as well Move Demko for picks. Why not, burn it down at that point. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

It's likely term that is playing a bigger role, giving a player a large contract that last into his mid 30's after a career year and assuming his production will stay the same and not decrease is very risky. Statistically, most players production falls off once they his their mid 30's. Some elite players this isn't the case but those are few and far between. 

We are all fine with let's say $8.5 per year with he's putting up 99 points....but his previous totals 46, 72 and 47 points are you ok with $8.5? Albeit one was a shortened season but when you looks at his average points I'm certainly not expecting him to be a 100 point guy per season. Chances are, based on his history and age he will be 60-70 points a year for a few more years, then it will likely drop off. I'm not going to assume he's going to be 90-100 points until he's 37...I would bet a testicle there's no way that happens. 

$8.5 for let's say 7-8 is a HUGE gamble that likely won't pay off. 

Weird bet. So if you win you get a third testicle?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To be honest, this may even be closer to the reality.  Schneider is essentially the key part of the deal because we are so weak at RD with his player type.  Chytil or Kakko would be a risk, but both have the upside to fill a need in our plans and the 1st is a lotto ticket.  If it's this type of deal we should all be really happy as we can also fill that 5M cap space Miller leaves with a UFA.

Solves a lot of holes in 1 move.  Chytil is interesting.  22 pts in 67 games, 7 goals in 20 playoff games and averaged just above 13min a game.  He's also 6'2", 205lbs.  Don't know much else about him but by the stats it seems like he could be penciled in at 3C.

Partner for Hughes, 3C and a 1st round pick for the prospect pool.  

We'd more or less be ready to roll for next season minus shedding Poolman and Dickinson.

I might be in the minority here but I think I would be happy with Kakko, Lundkvist, and 2023 1st. 

I would probably move Rathbone and NYR's 2023 1st for a top 4 RD

Podz - Petey - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Bo - Kakko

Hughes - ???

OEL - Poolman

Dermott - Lundkvist

Draft a Dman with 15th overall

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Just now, JoshuaGuy said:

Weird bet. So if you win you get a third testicle?

I've always been curious about having three amigos. So yes. 

In reality, i think the more sensical bet would be If I lose I cut off a testicle...If I win....then I don't?

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

not sure I'd call it 'great news' likely losing your best F. 

Just have to wait and see what the return is, with Serevalli's report about the two sides still being far apart that likely hurts us on the return. 

Hurts 2 ways; others teams will offer less because they know we have to move him, and they will offer less because Miller is asking a lot for his next contract.

Interesting that they are in Montreal for these negotiations; anybody know why?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Because Gaudreau and Forsberg have been much more consistently productive over their carriers than Miller. Forsberg is also almost 2 years younger.

I feel like too many are forgetting this was a career year for JT, this was his first time breaking 80 points. The Gaudreau has multiple times, Forsberg is younger and has put up more points in a shorter career.

Rumours are that Gaudreau is contemplating Flames offer of $9.5M x 8yrs.  Forsberg was rumoured low 8Ms x 8yrs but he wants high 8Ms x 8yrs.

Both contract offers are 8yrs.

Given that Boeser just got $6.65M x 3yrs.  Isn’t it reasonable that Miller is worth around $8M?

The term is the stumbling block.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Im having a hard time believing any team , including the rangers, would give up multiple top tier young players and possibly draft picks unless they know they can sign Miller .  Imagine if the Canucks gave up equivalents of any combo of Schneider/Laf/Kakko   for a ~30 year old guy under contract for one year.  

I guess ive been beaten down over the decades to be a little negative.

I tend to agree. Lets hope he at least returns something decent. Would hate to be in the same situation that the Flames are in with Gaudreau and end up losing him as a UFA, for no return.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Rumours are that Gaudreau is contemplating Flames offer of $9.5M x 8yrs.  Forsberg was rumoured low 8Ms x 8yrs but he wants high 8Ms x 8yrs.

Both contract offers are 8yrs.

Given that Boeser just got $6.65M x 3yrs.  Isn’t it reasonable that Miller is worth around $8M?

The term is the stumbling block.

Yeah I agree, term is my bet that's the issue. I still think that Johnny and FIlip have been more productive players over their career, and they have. 

I just don't like paying a guy based on basically 1 year of production that would be considered in that tier. If you look at JT's career numbers and point totals, it doesn't scream $8.5 per unless you look at one season only.

For instance, look at how consistently those guys score 20+ goals and 50-60+ points, and look how many times JT has. Year to year, they are way more productive. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

I just can’t shake the feeling the Canucks are going to Canuck the hell out of this situation. 

How I see it playing out……

They aren’t going to get a deal they like today. 
We will start the year with Miller.  
Going to be in a playoff race come the trade deadline, so they will hold on to Miller. 
NOT be able to come to terms on a fair deal.  
Lose him for nothing.  

Miss the playoffs

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I might be in the minority here but I think I would be ok with Kakko, Lundkvist, and 2023 1st. 

Could be a dark horse team in the running that no one is even talking about. Rutherford and co are doing a good job at keeping trade negotiations on the DL. 

• Upvote 1