The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay we’ll talk again when they fail to get past teams like Vegas in the playoffs again.

This season is their best opportunity with the way the team is rolling. If there’s a trade that makes you a legit cup contender you do it and worry about filling those assets later.

As of now they’re still just a pretender. They don’t have the legit depth to go all the way. Waiting 3 years until players like Newhook are actual impact players is probably not the best strategy.

I think you're missing one aspect in your proposals, in that the Canucks are also in a tough position of not being able to afford our core with Miller involved. Teams know this. This limits our trade value for him, so I tend to agree that you're overselling Miller's worth with your proposals. 

14 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Your gonna have to pay those young players... With what cap? There best shot to win his this year. With Kadri there playing at an elite level. The JT fills his spot next season. COL should be desperate to make this kinda deal. They cant keep choking in the playoffs

A line with Kadri-Miller would be a deadly second line. There first is damn tough, add JT to their second line and they are nasty. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're missing one aspect in your proposals, in that the Canucks are also in a tough position of not being able to afford our core with Miller involved. Teams know this. This limits our trade value for him, so I tend to agree that you're overselling Miller's worth with your proposals. 

What?   LOL

Just now, DeNiro said:

Okay we’ll talk again when they fail to get past teams like Vegas in the playoffs again.

This season is their best opportunity with the way the team is rolling. If there’s a trade that makes you a legit cup contender you do it and worry about filling those assets later.

As of now they’re still just a pretender. They don’t have the legit depth to go all the way. Waiting 3 years until players like Newhook are actual impact players is probably not the best strategy.

Agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A line with Kadri-Miller would be a deadly second line. There first is damn tough, add JT to their second line and they are nasty. 

Would also give them huge insurance if Kadri gets himself suspended again or Mac gets injured. Miller helps them way more than Newhook and Bryam who isn't even playing

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We could easily afford a core with him if they trade Boeser (which very well could happen).

Were definitely not desperate to trade him this season if at all. 

You’ve got the script backwards if you think JR is the desperate one.

Just now, appleboy said:

What?   LOL

I.E. We're not in a rush to trade Miller, but teams know we can't afford to re-sign Bo, Miller, Brock, and Petey in the near future. For a team to pay what DeNiro's proposing means they truly are going all in, which could very well happen, and I'd be stoked if that's the case, but I have a hard time believing that the teams will make those trades.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We could easily afford a core with him if they trade Boeser (which very well could happen).

Were definitely not desperate to trade him this season if at all. 

You’ve got the script backwards if you think JR is the desperate one.

Did I say desperate? 

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nobody will question that the Avs are better with Miller but Newhook and Byron fit their timeline a lot better. 

They’re a long ways away from worrying about declining assets. 

Again you’re over exaggerating their issues. If that’s the ask they won’t bite.

Probably why they’re more rumoured to be on Giroux anyway.  They wouldn’t have to sacrifice significant assets already on their NHL roster. 

Colorado’s window will be long but the best assembled team is right now while they have some great contracts. Kadri at 4.5 million is most likely gone next season so hopefully Newhook could pick up some of that loss. Then Mackinnon’s 6.3 million contract is up in 2 years time where he’ll get a raise to probably 10.5+ million a year. While their window will be long as contenders their best window of a cup favourite is this year. Byram not even on the roster + other futures for JT Miller 50% retained to really go for it this year.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I don’t think that’s much of an issue as you’re suggesting. Canucks aren’t really in a desperate rush to move him. Teams will trade for Miller because they want him.

The question is how much are they willing to give. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think that’s much of an issue as you’re suggesting. Canucks aren’t really in a desperate rush to move him. Teams will trade for Miller because they want him.

The question is how much are they willing to give. 

I didn't say desperate. Read my clarification above :)

Can we shut this thread down. Fiala for Miller shouldn’t even be in the same sentence. Fiala shouldn’t even be named on a site that mentions J.T Miller on it. Fiala shouldn’t even be in the same continent as J.T Miller. 

Or take Fiala out of the title. Fiala should be censored.

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Colorado’s window will be long but the best assembled team is right now while they have some great contracts. Kadri at 4.5 million is most likely gone next season so hopefully Newhook could pick up some of that loss. Then Mackinnon’s 6.3 million contract is up in 2 years time where he’ll get a raise to probably 10.5+ million a year. While their window will be long as contenders their best window of a cup favourite is this year. Byram not even on the roster + other futures for JT Miller 50% retained to really go for it this year.

There are quotes from Mackinnon stating he’s willing to take a friendly deal on his next contract in order to help the Avs win. 

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There are quotes from Mackinnon stating he’s willing to take a friendly deal on his next contract in order to help the Avs win. 

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

He's not gonna take less than Rantanen, so you can bet he will cost at LEAST 9.5m AAV.  Realistically if he took $10m he'd be "taking less".  So I'm pretty sure he will be in the $10m+ club in 2 years.

Just now, HKSR said:

He's not gonna take less than Rantanen, so you can bet he will cost at LEAST 9.5m AAV.  Realistically if he took $10m he'd be "taking less".  So I'm pretty sure he will be in the $10m+ club in 2 years.

We won’t know what his next deal will look like till it happens. Hard to speculate the promise Mackinnon has made. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We won’t know what his next deal will look like till it happens. Hard to speculate the promise Mackinnon has made. 

At the end of the day, he will still have an agent representing him.  Hard to see an agent not pushing him for top dollar.